Hydaelyn Role-Players
LF advice on how to expand on my idea.. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: LF advice on how to expand on my idea.. (/showthread.php?tid=15021)

LF advice on how to expand on my idea.. - bFaLLeN - 01-24-2016

Hey all,

Your local alley cat here. I'm trying to figure out where I want my Miqo'te Seeker to come from, be headed, what he does and all that jazz but I think I need help expanding on some of the ideas I have as I don't have too much background in the Final Fantasy Universe..

I was thinking maybe he started out in Limsa or Ul'dah as the "street rat" sort, orphaned, thieving for everything he needed/acquired until he tried to pickpocket the wrong man and instead of taking the young seeker's hand that day, he instead took him under his wing and taught him how to fight, furthered the seeker's knowledge of being stealthy and eventually started to teach him the ways of the shinobi. His master took a job one day and never returned, so the seeker took to wandering in search of his lost master and more knowledge of the martial arts.

Pretty basic, I know. That's where ya'll come in.. Thoughts? Advice? Anything constructive will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RE: LF advice on how to expand on my idea.. - Marcy - 01-24-2016

Welcome to Balmung!

Simple is good. It's probably helpful to start with a sort of "blank slate" character and use their sheltered and limited background as a way to explore the game through RP. Character motivations are a whole other bag, and can often be hard to improvise in a similar way.

You've already done the best thing you can do for a character -- you have taken something away from them and given them drive to pursue it. Try posing some questions for your character: what was his master like? How would that affect the direction he's headed in? What kinds of people will he reach out and meet?

You may want to reach out to some similar characters on the connections forum, if your character is open to learning from/with other people. You might consider his long-term goals: do you have a picture of what his "career pinnacle" would be like? What can possibly stop it?

The XIV lore is huge and full of breadcrumbs. There are *lots* of directions you can go with a stealth-focused skillset, and I think where you go depends on your RP style and overall writing goals!

RE: LF advice on how to expand on my idea.. - Yssen - 01-24-2016

Good stuff in the so far. My main question would be what do you envision as your end goal? Are you shooting for the character to complete their training as a Shinobi? Do you plan on your master being a PC or an NPC? Also maybe seek connections with some of the information broker characters out there for ties and plot bus fun. These are the things that immediately come to mind. Yar.

RE: LF advice on how to expand on my idea.. - bFaLLeN - 01-24-2016

(01-24-2016, 02:31 AM)Marcy Wrote: Welcome to Balmung!

Simple is good. It's probably helpful to start with a sort of "blank slate" character and use their sheltered and limited background as a way to explore the game through RP. Character motivations are a whole other bag, and can often be hard to improvise in a similar way.

You've already done the best thing you can do for a character -- you have taken something away from them and given them drive to pursue it. Try posing some questions for your character: what was his master like? How would that affect the direction he's headed in? What kinds of people will he reach out and meet?

You may want to reach out to some similar characters on the connections forum, if your character is open to learning from/with other people. You might consider his long-term goals: do you have a picture of what his "career pinnacle" would be like? What can possibly stop it?

The XIV lore is huge and full of breadcrumbs. There are *lots* of directions you can go with a stealth-focused skillset, and I think where you go depends on your RP style and overall writing goals!

Thanks for the input and the advice, I'll have to put some thought into those questions, though I'm not sure what his "career pinnacle" would be, I think I'm leaving that up to where the RP takes him. The initial thought is that he's been training under a shinobi master for some time, is he an actual shinobi himself? No probably not, that's maybe what drives him in search of other martial arts, to maybe eventually become a master of them all? I'm not sure just yet..

(01-24-2016, 04:30 AM)Yssen Wrote: Good stuff in the so far. My main question would be what do you envision as your end goal? Are you shooting for the character to complete their training as a Shinobi? Do you plan on your master being a PC or an NPC? Also maybe seek connections with some of the information broker characters out there for ties and plot bus fun. These are the things that immediately come to mind. Yar.

Thanks for the input and advice as well, as far as the shinobi master.. I guess if I ran across someone who could either work what I've come up with so far into their RP or wanted to join stories, the master could be a PC, but so far I've just been thinking of him as an NPC, just a character that stays mostly in the shadows, so to speak.