Hydaelyn Role-Players
Need help with song macros! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Need help with song macros! (/showthread.php?tid=14999)

Need help with song macros! - Marcy - 01-21-2016

Hi friends!

So against my best intentions it looks like I am going to write a bard. I've been to a few events now, and I'd really love to figure out how to sync chat scroll to music -- I'm new to the game, and macros are a bit of a mystery. Those of you that play bards doing performances IC: do you use these? What are some of the challenges with trying to translate pre-written song to text? The few times that I've done it in other games I just copy-pasted lines, but I kind of want to attach those to movements/in game effects at some point as well.

And on that note, do any of you write your own things? Music or lyrics? It would be cool to see some kind of LS for performers, I think, share trade secrets, organize shows for other FCs, etc. I'm considering it, unless there is one already.

RE: Need help with song macros! - Telluride - 01-22-2016

G'day, G'day! Let me see if I can address some of these thoughts...

I've been to a few events now, and I'd really love to figure out how to sync chat scroll to music

I'd like to know how to do that myself, but it would be a macros thing, if you could...

-- I'm new to the game, and macros are a bit of a mystery. Those of you that play bards doing performances IC: do you use these?

Some of us do; I don't, myself, but it's more that I have seen enough problems with them that I prefer to handle and time my own lines. I'm sure those who do use them can give you tips.

What are some of the challenges with trying to translate pre-written song to text? The few times that I've done it in other games I just copy-pasted lines, but I kind of want to attach those to movements/in game effects at some point as well.

Macros CAN add game effects to lines. I know several people who have them down pat and make them work. For myself, I write out the lyrics I want, and plan out my moves, and copy-paste them. It sounds like more risk and more time consumption in the performance, and it can be, yes, but I also find that sometimes I come up with better ideas on the fly, or don't have time to fully test out the macros, so I like the control that comes with having my cut and paste fully planned and ready in a document.

As for translating songs, it's become one of my favorite things. I tend to streamline repeated choruses and turn lyrics into poetry, in terms of meter and stanzas, and sort of run them through a lore-filter, converting the ideas into things that characters would have IC knowledge of, or express ideas in terms of existing game lore or ideas close enough to it not to matter.

And on that note, do any of you write your own things? Music or lyrics?

I don't compose actual music, but I do write my very own things from time to time, converting from existing songs and poems for looser, more pop-feeling expresssions.

It would be cool to see some kind of LS for performers, I think, share trade secrets, organize shows for other FCs, etc. I'm considering it, unless there is one already.

We did have one, at one point, but a number of people decided that they were wanting to do other things, or focus elsewhere, so right now, most people I know who "perform" do it as part of a guild, or with a loose network of people who know each other IC and are used to working together. I'm not opposed to a new linkshell, but haven't moved to make one. There are some guilds that are very active in performance, in fact.

There are several events each month that offer the opportunity to see and do "Bard stuff", and the best way to get involved is come out, meet the regulars, and get in the mix while you see how each one of us does it.

RE: Need help with song macros! - Capheira - 01-22-2016

Hello there! Our resident Mr. Fabulous and Coordinator has done a wonderful job explaining things, so I don't really have much to add beyond my own preferences.

I don't really use macros myself, I tried it once. I didn't like it. Personally, it feels too... I'm not sure. Automated? It takes the fun out of it for me. I prefer to copy and paste my lyrics, in case I need to react to any one particular thing. It hasn't happened yet, but I like to be prepared. Additionally, I've witnessed too many things that can go wrong with macros such as timing and placement etc etc. I have used macros for basic actions in the past, such as playing the lyre or using an emote but those are usually singular.

Personally, I write all my own lyrics for Odette's performances though it tends to be in a style more suited to heraldry and prose even if it's sung. Everyone has their own idea of what is fun for them and what time allows, but I personally like to take it that step further and revel in the challenge of writing for whatever theme is apparent. (Not so much for the stress... xD). I don't know anything about composing, or music IRL though I attempt to keep to a beat count for verses.

Please feel free to add Odette Saoirse in game if you'd like to ever chat over things!

RE: Need help with song macros! - Nebbs - 01-22-2016

GO HERE >>> Nebula - One Woman Play REVEAL & HOW-TO

I'd suggest the later posts as I keep learning things as I go.

You will still have to work your own style in, such as the amount of description vs song etc.. Think of it as a mechanism to use, and experiment with what works for you.

Feel free to ask me anything.

RE: Need help with song macros! - Savo - 01-22-2016

Hello, I try to play a bard...or rather I deliberately play a pretty god awful bard IC.  I use macros fairly extensively but Like Odette had surmised above one has to still manage to interact with the situation at hand lest the macro seem stilted.  If you take the trouble to learn the process you can customize the macros pretty fast (a weak but viable solution) or you can break a routine into a great many macros and use the moments in between clicking them off to clarify, amend or specify elements (this is the process I have come to use).  Also, given different environments, different styles of presentation become more or less appropriate.  Given a large gathering with lots of different rp tracks going on, leaping in with 50 lines of successive posts is difficult to deal with at best and inconsiderately distracting usually.  In those situations, single large posts are better so that interested parties can choose to read it, and the disinterested can just let it scroll on by.  If however, one is in a situation where one has the attention of those present, line posting is far easier to follow and gives the illusion of tempo (if you want to get that into it).  My advice is to master both.

-my 2 gil worth,  Hope to perform with you in game!

RE: Need help with song macros! - Jancis - 01-22-2016

I also don't use macros for significant posted text. It's pretty easy to tell when someone is using them because of the rapid fire pace they come at.

Personally, it's not a bad thing but I'll tend to just skim over whatever is being said. Overall if you have to use macros (console user for example) is to practice with it beforehand and put in variation on the wait timer, or better yet, have separate macros to give it a more organic feel and also to allow for shorter and longer parts to post when you want them to.

Believe the code for the wait timer after a macro is <wait.#>

The thing I've used macros on before is more some of the complex emote chains. I did something with Jancis this month where she had to have her eyes closed for the majority of it, so I chained a bunch of Shut Eyes together. Another one was putting /joy and /welcome together to "dance" with.

If there was a repeating line like suppose to be a background part where repetition adds to the mood that would also work well as a macro.

Also that way there isn't as much panic on which macro to press when; I've seen plenty of them in the panic where they either got pressed twice and there's an "echo" or they're pressed out of order. (But if you press them out of order, don't bother saying anything most people won't notice).

Biggest point I've found in doing events and 'performing' at them is to Post And Read. Whatever you post, read it before posting anything else. That way on average everyone else has had a chance to finish reading it themselves.
So if you have to use a macro, count out how many seconds and add a few spares for each line; they won't be uniform.

As far as giving it immersion I like to mix /say and /em up to give the song breaks, changes to tempo, realization that a new line has come up. 
/say works really well for repeating chorus, a few lines after a emote, or a line that doesn't have much to it. I like to put music notes on it personally ♪ ♪ ♪ Also if the song has great stanzas, that would highlight well in /say one after another.

/emote works great on sharing the type of singing that's happening. If there's a pick up in tempo, singing louder/stronger, or playing an instrument with. Emote movements are great, but writing them out adds more and emotes are a good time to do it. If you're using /say for stanzas and the music, emotes can break up the parts into sections.

But before anything test them with a friend - give them a preview. Some posts get eaten and it's better to find out than have a chunk of your performance missing, though most people won't notice anyway.

These are all just ideas, do whatever is enjoyed best! Variety is the spice of life; but maybe what I do will help refine what you enjoy and improve upon it.

Hope that helps!

RE: Need help with song macros! - Marcy - 01-22-2016

It's so amazing to see how supportive this community is of events and performers. You are all so active and inspiring and helpful.

I don't think I have any more questions, but advice is still appreciated! There are lots of things I haven't thought about (re: the chat eating messages), and I'm sure there are more. Performance/bard things was not a direction I expected for Marcy but after attending a few shows hosted by you guys it's something I am really stoked for.

Maybe we'll catch each other in game IC and OOC, feel free to add me!

RE: Need help with song macros! - Savo - 01-25-2016

I fucking love your richard dawkins tag.