Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra In Eorzea? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Au Ra In Eorzea? (/showthread.php?tid=14964)

Au Ra In Eorzea? - Heart Quintessence - 01-17-2016

So with a new character on the Horizon, in a years time perhaps, so a ways out, I thought about creating a  new Au Ra, and I wondered  could Au Ra been in Eorzea prior?

I've been considering making a Raen. But not sure if it really works lore wise. Or should I just make her shiny and new and have no knowledge of Eorzea other than the language?

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - Nero - 01-17-2016

Copying a portion of my response from another thread.

(01-15-2016, 07:07 PM)Nero Wrote: It's worth noting that Sidurgu, the Xaela DRK trainer, came to Ishgard as a child from Othard, and said that during that period (which we can roughly assume to be at the very least 7+ years ago, assuming Sidurgu is at least 20 years old, Au Ra were being killed on sight by the Temple Knights for being assumed to be Dravanians.

Given Doma's status, it is completely plausible for a Raen to have travelled from Doma to Eorzea during or even before their occupation by Garlemald. There's little to no in-game evidence of any Au Ra having appeared before Yugiri's exodus--except for the above--but I see no reason why Domans couldn't have made the trip beforehand and become familiar with Eorzea before the current events of the game.

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - Heart Quintessence - 01-17-2016

That is interesting.

I was trying to figure out if a  Au Ra would have been able to hide effectively somehow, in Eorzea, outside of Ishgard, in 'Eorzea' Proper.

We know that people must have traveled, but since we haven't seen say any Doman other than the refugees, an certainly no other Au Ra than Yugiri & the DRK Trainer, (prominently), it makes you wonder if  glamour/fantasia might play a part. ( Though we also know that Doman is FAR enough away that perhaps the Raen just don't travel and its mostly the Xalea doing most of the leg work.

I also am mostly interested how we end up with such insular populations (Ishgard & Doman (Not saying that all Doman, are Hyur-stock and Au Ra-stock), but as far as we know populations travel seems infrequent unless its Calamity( the Mi'quote  & Lalafell exodus being the most prominent in my mind.

7 years would put the DRK Trainer pre-Calamity.
This was interesting.

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - PhantasticPanda - 01-17-2016

Something to note as well is that Yugiri was masked and hidden the way she was because, while I don't have the exact quite, people sometimes fear the the unfamiliar. Judging by this, Au Ra must have been a very rare sight and/or hid themselves from the majority of Eorzeans possibly due to their dragon-like/voidsent-like appearance. They also did not have a major enough reason to immigrate to Eorzea until the Garlean occupation.

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - Teadrinker - 01-17-2016

(01-17-2016, 02:22 PM)PhantasticPanda Wrote: Something to note as well is that Yugiri was masked and hidden the way she was because, while I don't have the exact quite, people sometimes fear the the unfamiliar. Judging by this, Au Ra must have been a very rare sight and/or hid themselves from the majority of Eorzeans possibly due to their dragon-like/voidsent-like appearance. They also did not have a major enough reason to immigrate to Eorzea until the Garlean occupation.

"We seek only to spare the people of Ul'dah unnecessary disquiet."

It's odd to me that she'd be so conservative about her appearance if they'd been around for a decade. This has been asked in the thread for the upcoming live letter though and I'm hoping they touch on it. Thumbsup

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - Heart Quintessence - 01-17-2016

Yeah I am thinking that any of the Au Ra (if any, I don't think there would be many), if they traveled outside, have been extremely careful to be hidden. (Fantasia?)

Or like Yugiri extremely covered ( but even that would get them some looks)

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 01-18-2016

It could also be that Yugiri's need for a disguise is related to the fate of many of the Xaela who first ventured to Eorzea a decade or so ago in Sidurgu's tale. The Xaela are the more nomadic of the two and may have traveled as far as Ilsabard at one point based on Odin lore. It's possible that a group or tribe ventured through the north into Eorzea before being slaughtered by the Ishgardians. Word of what transpired later would make it back to Othard and the Raen found primarily in the Doma region. When these Domans later become refugees, the tale of how Au Ra were treated in "Eorzea" may have informed Yugiri's decision to remain hidden. That would be my theory at least.

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - Virella - 01-18-2016

(01-17-2016, 09:02 PM)Heart Quintessence Wrote: Yeah I am thinking that any of the Au Ra (if any, I don't think there would be many), if they traveled outside, have been extremely careful to be hidden. (Fantasia?)

Or like Yugiri extremely covered ( but even that would get them some looks)
Fantasia is a meta item. Glamours however are a valid thing to change one's appearance Smile

I'd say covered up to the extremes might have worked yeah.

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - Heart Quintessence - 01-18-2016

But how do Glamours work? I mean we've seen the appearance change in 'Hatchingtide' but beyond that Glamours seem... well how would they interact with Aether in the body?

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - FreelanceWizard - 01-18-2016

Well, let's not set off the Fantasia firestorm again. There's varying information on that topic from SE sources, both formal and informal. Smile I will say that it's a very polarizing item and so I advise against its use in RP for that reason alone.

Regarding glamours, the All Saints' Wake events demonstrate that imps and evidently some other voidsent have the ability to glamour individuals. Such glamours have varying degrees of permanency, as explained in the 2015 All Saints' Wake quest line. Appearance cloaking of one's self is also available to Garleans through magitek (source: Costa del Sol leves) and to voidsent generally (source: tons of leves all over the place Smile ). It stands to reason that there's probably some means of doing so through Eorzean magic, though such an approach never appears in the game that I'm aware of. In fact, when you're infiltrating a Castrum in the 2.0 MSQ, you wear an outfit instead of glamouring yourself, and if Yugiri could have glamoured herself, I imagine she probably would have instead of opting for the full body covering.

From a purely metaphysical perspective, glamours don't seem to have an effect on one's aether, but I'd argue we just don't have enough lore to make a statement in any direction in that regard. I suppose one could speculate that full-body glamours are like Invisibility in D&D or a rogue's Stealth, insofar as you really can't do anything other than move around without breaking the glamour.

(01-18-2016, 11:40 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Well, let's not set off the Fantasia firestorm again. There's varying information on that topic from SE sources, both formal and informal. Smile I will say that it's a very polarizing item and so I advise against its use in RP for that reason alone.

Regarding glamours, the All Saints' Wake events demonstrate that imps and evidently some other voidsent have the ability to glamour individuals. Such glamours have varying degrees of permanency, as explained in the 2015 All Saints' Wake quest line. Appearance cloaking of one's self is also available to Garleans through magitek (source: Costa del Sol leves) and to voidsent generally (source: tons of leves all over the place Smile ). It stands to reason that there's probably some means of doing so through Eorzean magic, though such an approach never appears in the game that I'm aware of. In fact, when you're infiltrating a Castrum in the 2.0 MSQ, you wear an outfit instead of glamouring yourself, and if Yugiri could have glamoured herself, I imagine she probably would have instead of opting for the full body covering.

From a purely metaphysical perspective, glamours don't seem to have an effect on one's aether, but I'd argue we just don't have enough lore to make a statement in any direction in that regard. I suppose one could speculate that full-body glamours are like Invisibility in D&D or a rogue's Stealth, insofar as you really can't do anything other than move around without breaking the glamour.
AST questline has full body glamours to switch race Big Grin! As far as I can recall to the point of legit confusing people for another person, and capable of casting spells as well!

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - FreelanceWizard - 01-18-2016

(01-18-2016, 12:06 PM)Virella Wrote: AST questline has full body glamours to switch race Big Grin! As far as I can recall to the point of legit confusing people for another person, and capable of casting spells as well!

Interesting! So Sharlayan clearly has access to those, then. That means we can confirm one could have access to them if one had an association with Sharlayan, including, perhaps, from sneaking around in the Gubal Library and not getting nommed by the nearest animated servant.

Neat! Thanks for the lore catch! Smile

(01-18-2016, 01:57 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(01-18-2016, 12:06 PM)Virella Wrote: AST questline has full body glamours to switch race Big Grin! As far as I can recall to the point of legit confusing people for another person, and capable of casting spells as well!

Interesting! So Sharlayan clearly has access to those, then. That means we can confirm one could have access to them if one had an association with Sharlayan, including, perhaps, from sneaking around in the Gubal Library and not getting nommed by the nearest animated servant.

Neat! Thanks for the lore catch! Smile
I'm not sure if the NPC in question was Sharlayan though, she was however hired by a Sharlayan if my memory serves me well. She was a scummy Duskwight, but I completely forgot if she was a Sharlayan herself or not. And my screenshots are on my old PC, else I would go digging for you x_X!

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - Smagon - 01-18-2016

I don't see why you couldn't have an Au Ra in Eorzea before the mass exodus. Would be rare? Sure. Would it be impossible? Not at all. It's especially possible with a Raen since the Domans used to trade with Limsa. You could simply say that your character got on one of the boats (for trade related reasons or otherwise) and just decided to stay.

I guess it gets a bit trickier if you stray outside of Limsa and the surrounding area though. You would see all sorts of people at a port town but not so much outside of them.

RE: Au Ra In Eorzea? - Heart Quintessence - 01-18-2016

True. Its something to think about as  I look towards next year to RESTART my FFXIV journey.

(I admit I miss my mi'quote', but Raen females are SOO ADORABLE). But I have entire to year ponder this.

Maybe between now and then we'll get some interesting confirmation on Glamours and other cultures.