Hydaelyn Role-Players
A character concept you always wanted to try... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A character concept you always wanted to try... (/showthread.php?tid=14844)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

A character concept you always wanted to try... - LadyRochester - 01-05-2016

Have you any character concepts/ideas you always wanted to try but didn't for whatever reason? Well, tell us! Why do you want to try this and what has stopped you so far?

I always wanted to roleplay the character embodiment of this. A character so self-centered, insensitive and oblivious to others that it would cause everyone around them to want to cringe and/or slap them on the face. 

Considering self-centered RPers can be annoying, I don't think a character like this would go well. 

Otherwise, another concept I always wanted to try is a stupid, over-the-top, ridiculous couple like Isaac and Miria from Baccano! They are by far my favourite couple in any series ever. A couple that is constantly in sync with their idiocy to the point they are simply an entertaining entity. 

I haven't tried this either because I need to find someone who is willing to RP this... And I would also have to level another alt with them. Seems like  lot of work for something that could (or could not) work.

What about you?

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Dogberry - 01-05-2016

I've always wanted to play an old knight. Like, someone way past their prime, but they make up for it with wisdom and experience. I don't know why I've never made a character like that. I guess one day I will. It will be very amusing to play a character like that when everyone seems to play characters that are very young.

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Teadrinker - 01-05-2016

(01-05-2016, 06:39 PM)LadyRochester Wrote: Have you any character concepts/ideas you always wanted to try but didn't for whatever reason? Well, tell us! Why do you want to try this and what has stopped you so far?

I will do an Alucard/Integra style relationship someday. I will do it. Not necessarily the powers/vampire aspects - mostly the way they interact with each other amuses me to no end.

Haven't done it because this setting hasn't really inspired me in such a way that makes me feel the drive to pull it off. It'd feel forced to me.

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Steel Wolf - 01-05-2016

Oh man have I got a few...

I've always wanted to do a Dan Hibiki-styled character. One who is an outright braggart and generally inept at typical combat, but manages to get by on a combination of sheer dumb luck and brutish power.

The problem I would have there is that the suspension of disbelief would be so astronomical to ask of many that he/she would probably never get any interaction.

Another one I had envisioned is some Don Karnage-style villain...someone with charisma and is almost affable. Maybe even carrying a sense of honor...and absolutely a sense of inflated self-magnificence and cowardice. Someone you could like, except for the part where he would blow up an entire village in order to find a buried treasure.

The thing that halts that from happening is making the sorts of connections to have the idea work would probably end up more effort than it's worth. And, again, probably a little too compartmentalized of an idea. Still, would be fun to play a baddie one boo's and hisses at instead of some gruff-voiced edgelord like many villain RP'ers tend to write.

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Kellach Woods - 01-05-2016

Anything in my sig not named Kellach.

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Aya - 01-05-2016

(01-05-2016, 07:28 PM)Dogberry Wrote: I've always wanted to play an old knight. Like, someone way past their prime, but they make up for it with wisdom and experience. I don't know why I've never made a character like that. I guess one day I will. It will be very amusing to play a character like that when everyone seems to play characters that are very young.
I love that idea Dogberry! I have a very similar idea I'd like to play kicking around right now too, involving an old tramp of a healer/druid (depending on the setting!).

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - ɴᴘᴄ - 01-05-2016

I've always thought it would be interesting to be a troubleshooter for a noble house... Ishgardians, I suppose, but perhaps also Ul'dahn mercantile princes.

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Virella - 01-05-2016

An Ishgardian temple knight. Not alone, but with a group of people. Harassing citizens ect. The evil type of character. It is a thing people might take wrong OOC, the sole reason I never bothered to roll one!

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - TheLastCandle - 01-05-2016

RPing in various settings since about 1995 (and being a terrible, horrible altaholic) means this is a very short list, but it'd be fun to play the "big, dumb brute" archetype. I've never done it, but if I did, maybe I'd model him after Groo the Wanderer, or something.

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Raven Omen - 01-05-2016

Something like Rorschach. I love that character though, so I'm afraid that I wouldn't live up to my own expectations.

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Martiallais - 01-05-2016

I've had the urge to play a character who only spoke in rhymes (whether by curse or some other reason). Don't know why, I've always thought it'd be something of an interesting challenge to do (hello thesaurus!) though I worry it'd end up being annoying to RP with.

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Aya - 01-05-2016

(01-05-2016, 10:16 PM)Martiallais Wrote: I've had the urge to play a character who only spoke in rhymes (whether by curse or some other reason). Don't know why, I've always thought it'd be something of an interesting challenge to do (hello thesaurus!) though I worry it'd end up being annoying to RP with.

Hello, then, who is this?
Someone new, unless remiss?
But what is he,
Whom I see?

He speaks in ryhme,
But, all the time!
So be off and hither you,
Or else I'll slug you -
with my shoe.

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Kismet - 01-05-2016

I've always wanted to play a character who's as dumb as a bag of bricks... But I don't feel I could pull it off very well without the character either being a) extremely annoying on both an IC and OOC level, or b) an embodiment of several stereotypes and/or cliched tropes.

Playing a grizzled old war vet could be fun, but there's no way I could play that as a main. I feel like I'd get bored too often.

I also keep making up concepts for villains, but they end up becoming softer-hearted than I originally intend. I want to play a villain who falls into gray territory in several aspects, but still ultimately stays a villain! I may work on something like that for whatever the next big MMORPG I jump to is...

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Aaron - 01-05-2016

I always wanted to rp a male Yandere.

But well uh, y'all see how sensitive rpers are. Someone's bound to get offended.

Or assume I'm a starved and hopeless romantic irl.

RE: A character concept you always wanted to try... - Kurt S. - 01-06-2016

The really edgy emo ultra gritty grimdark dude. The guy who runs over the edge limit at 360 e/h.