Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater (/showthread.php?tid=14677)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Kallera - 01-31-2017

Making the wiki page is currently daunting for me. I'm not sure how much is enough before I go to making a making connections thread. Sad and so many are really elaborate!

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - The Glowing Onyx - 02-19-2017

I have a tendency to write characters with dark backgrounds, or try to play a villain IC often just so things aren't so Mary Sunshine all the time...but at the same time I am always worried my character will make people uncomfortable in some way. I just don't DO sunny characters well, though. I feel disconnected from them because they are just too damn happy about all the things.

It's especially difficult when...

A) As a villain character, people struggle not to dislike you OOC also. Just because my character is wringing her hands with lightning in the background, does not mean *I* am. :<

B) When a character with a dark background actually begins getting close to someone against all odds, and it comes time to have that talk about who you really are deep down, or what is going on...I worry that my backstory will completely ruin it for the other person because of whatever detail.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-19-2017

(01-31-2017, 01:05 PM)Kallera Wrote: Making the wiki page is currently daunting for me.  I'm not sure how much is enough before I go to making a making connections thread. Sad  and so many are really elaborate!

Few wiki pages start out super-detailed. A lot are the product of months or years of being added to. Think of it as a character sheet. What kind of information would you want others to know about your character? What kind of information would you want public?

There's a lot of layouts and helpful people on the forums who can help you out if you're trying one out!

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Sylentmana - 02-22-2017

My biggest worries are "am I being consistent" and "does this fall properly within lore boundaries". Sometimes I worry that there might be some lore I'm breaking without realizing it.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Caspar - 02-23-2017

(02-19-2017, 12:39 PM)The Glowing Onyx Wrote: I have a tendency to write characters with dark backgrounds, or try to play a villain IC often just so things aren't so Mary Sunshine all the time...but at the same time I am always worried my character will make people uncomfortable in some way. I just don't DO sunny characters well, though.

B) When a character with a dark background actually begins getting close to someone against all odds, and it comes time to have that talk about who you really are deep down, or what is going on...I worry that my backstory will completely ruin it for the other person because of whatever detail.

This is something I struggle terribly with. I've hesitated to establish close connections for my character and lost opportunities because I was concerned the generally tense, morose, or even tragic feel I instinctively favor would be depressing for them. I'm not as confident in my ability to supply things like light, happy slice of life or romance, so I hesitate to invest with players who want that because I fear I'll be a drag.

This is a shame because a powerful connection is really rewarding to me, but it's not as easy to find RP on my wavelength as it was when I was younger.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Parvacake - 02-24-2017

I tend to worry about my inspiration a lot. A couple of years ago, back when I played WoW, I could RP for weeks and weeks on end and would never get burned out or tired of it. I'd only stop if other people were around and would level alts or quest...only to jump right back into it. The last two years or so I have random periods where I flounder. It's like my brain locks my inspiration/ideas/etc. for roleplay behind a door with a coded combination. Sometimes I can open it back up quickly...other times it can take days or even weeks. It makes me insecure about starting up RP or RPing with others longterm because I worry about when one of those spurts might hit and how long they may last.

I get redundant with some of my word choice. I don't mean to do it, but later I'll look back on my writing and heavily criticize it. 'Ugh, I used 'little bit' and 'softly' too many times in that damn post. Good going.'

I enjoy writing darker themes mixed with fluff and happiness to create a balance of hope and despair in much of my writing. Sometimes I lean towards one or the other depending on how the aforementioned inspiration is doing. Then I get fidgety and fret over whether I'm doing too much or too little of one or the other.

Time. I am poly and have two relationships, work as a nanny for a couple of households, help with storylines and events as well as play other games. Even when I warn people about having delicate spurts of time available, I still sometimes get those messages of 'you never spend enough time with me'. Nowadays they don't happen as often and when they do? I usually just block the person unless they approach the subject in a cordial/respectful way. But these days it's one of the things I'm paranoid the most about.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Ysolda Merwin - 03-02-2017

I'm just terrible at initiating RP. I'm the kind of person that sits around thinking; "Oh boy, I sure hope someone stops by to RP with me today!", then gets disappointed when nothing happens. I'm doing my best to try and make some ties in the RP community here so I have some pals to help get me started, but it's always daunting and is never without that long list of questions. 

- What if they don't like my characters?
- What if they don't like me?
- What if they think I'm not good enough to RP with them?
- What if I do something wrong and it puts them off?
- Etc, etc...

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Verad - 03-07-2017

(12-23-2015, 09:32 PM)Verad Wrote: Sometimes I worry that people think the character is a joke. Then I remember that of course they do, and move along.

Most of my other anxieties are centered around my LS and have more to do with mechanical complexity and balancing the need to make things interesting with the need to accommodate new players, and so are of limited value here.

Updated to add: I also worry now that people think I am pretentious as a player, and then remember that they definitely do, and move along again.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Iteza - 03-07-2017

Chat scroll.

When it's real, it's real. Im not intimidated by it, but I lose my mind trying to keep track of what's going on so I don't miss anything. I hate missing people's posts or making someone feel ignored. So my big worry is I missed something that could have evolved into awesome long term rp. I also worry that -I- could intereact, without realizing something is already going on, and interrupt. I hate being that person who interrupts someone else's rp, or swoops in and hijacks it. I think it's super rude. So in quick chat moving locations I may forgo interacting at all because I can't get a quick enough grasp of everything due to scroll.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Amnesic - 03-07-2017

(03-07-2017, 04:58 PM)Iteza Wrote: Chat scroll.

When it's real, it's real. Im not intimidated by it, but I lose my mind trying to keep track of what's going on so I don't miss anything. I hate missing people's posts or making someone feel ignored. So my big worry is I missed something that could have evolved into awesome long term rp. I also worry that -I- could intereact, without realizing something is already going on, and interrupt. I hate being that person who interrupts someone else's rp, or swoops in and hijacks it. I think it's super rude. So in quick chat moving locations I may forgo interacting at all because I can't get a quick enough grasp of everything due to scroll.

I definitely feel this. I have missed stuff like this before thanks to chat scroll and it drives me crazy when a lot of paragraphs are being tossed around and I am waiting for a response. Did I miss it? Did they see mine? My internet connection can be finicky sometimes and I have to wonder sometimes if my message actually went through. Though, that part is probably paranoia.

I fear interrupting too, but at least you can /tell to ask if it's too much of a bother to join in. Of course, that kinda ruins immersion too and it is still a tad rude.

On the other subjects, why is it that my characters end up with grim or dark backstories? Sheesh, I even tried to write my newest creation as happy-go-lucky and it turned grim. I seriously do not understand it.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Teadrinker - 03-07-2017

I feel like I annoy the shit out of people with excessive OOC communication due to past experiences where there wasn't enough.

....No, really sometimes I feel like I'm drawing flowcharts and stuff that led to this exact moment until people are like "I get it, no worries."

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-07-2017

(03-07-2017, 06:50 PM)Teadrinker Wrote: I feel like I annoy the shit out of people with excessive OOC communication due to past experiences where there wasn't enough.

....No, really sometimes I feel like I'm drawing flowcharts and stuff that led to this exact moment until people are like "I get it, no worries."

I honestly prefer that over radio silence and then finding out later I triggered someone or they were unhappy with a scene. ...There's a time and place for it, but I think a lighthearted OOC conversation can help keep a scene going sometimes. Especially if the IC motivations are still being worked on. Or if there are potential IC issues that could arise that'd be easily solved with a simple "what?! I need some clarification."

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Nero - 03-07-2017

Coming up with a Doman name that doesn't sound like something ripped out of an anime or Samurai Warriors is hard.

Also, names in general. I have a rule that all of my names need to be phonetically and aesthetically pleasing--in short, they need to look and sound "cool". It's a careful balance that must be achieved.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Nyx Fairclough - 03-07-2017

I have some worries that I never thought would come back to me. When I roleplayed in other games, I'd gotten so established within the community, I didn't have to worry about the "intro phase." We ALL know the intro phase. It's when you're new and you're having to get to know everyone...yadda yadda.

I experienced this a lot tonight, as I finally started establishing myself on the rp scene in Quicksand. I always worry that I'm going to interrupt someone's scene. Or I'm always worrying that they don't want to roleplay with me if I don't look like I've been in the game a long time. I also fret over /tells. I'll sometimes tell to someone before I rp at them (not ALL the time) and then worry because it might seem like I'm obsessive or annoying...when in reality I'm trying to feel them out to see if they're interested or not.

So, in reality, I guess it's the following:

-Annoying the hell out of people with poking into their rp
-The extremely DAUNTING task of finding a free company to rp within (this is a HUGE one to me)
-OOC messaging about stuff
-Getting established within the community.

I'm trying man!

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - RavieRaptor - 03-07-2017

I'm always worried my characters aren't good enough for RP and having never get RP bites.

I spent a lot of money (a couple hundred) on fantasias and name-changes alone trying to make the perfect character for everyone to like, despite knowing not everyone will like me.

I post multiple threads on the Making connections thread with not many bites, having to bump constantly to get some replies.

I'm also paranoid ooc rumors are being spread about me and people talking smack about my characters/me behind my back.