Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater (/showthread.php?tid=14677)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Reldin - 03-10-2016

I think mine has to be actually roleplaying on FFXIV. Been on the game since 2.0 launch but I never fully dove into the roleplay scene. I used to have no problem getting into RP or even running RP events and storylines before FFXIV, but I had also been doing it for superhero based MMOs. I think after doing that for a few years, I burned myself out and after falling off the RP wagon for awhile, I lost a bit of confidence in roleplaying in other settings. I used to be able to run multiple RP guilds when it came to superhero settings but over here on FFXIV I can barely bring myself to do any social roleplay.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - AmeKusakari - 03-11-2016

Okay wow. So I transferred to Balmung today and my friend showed me around the rp hotspots. First off I'm impressed with the amount of people, but upon arriving at the Quicksand and seeing everyone I suddenly got super freaken nervous.  Part of me really wants to jump in an rp, but the other part of me is terrified to because I'm so new and I'm still learning the lore, as well as I have no real nice outfits to use for rp.  It seems the rp style is fairly different to what I'm used to.  (I mean it's amazing that people incorporate the emotes beautifully into their rp)  But I've never done that and trying to learn to balance my inner writer with posts small enough not to lose track is going to be hard.    Any suggestions for how I can sort of get involved?  I'm joining a company tomorrow that is a friend's but it only has 8 people, and I would like to meet more, and I'm looking for people who are comfortable with a newbie to the game and are willing to give constructive points if I stray from the lore.
~Ame

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Warren Castille - 03-11-2016

(03-11-2016, 12:02 AM)Ame Kusakari Wrote:
Okay wow. So I transferred to Balmung today and my friend showed me around the rp hotspots. First off I'm impressed with the amount of people, but upon arriving at the Quicksand and seeing everyone I suddenly got super freaken nervous.  Part of me really wants to jump in an rp, but the other part of me is terrified to because I'm so new and I'm still learning the lore, as well as I have no real nice outfits to use for rp.  It seems the rp style is fairly different to what I'm used to.  (I mean it's amazing that people incorporate the emotes beautifully into their rp)  But I've never done that and trying to learn to balance my inner writer with posts small enough not to lose track is going to be hard.    Any suggestions for how I can sort of get involved?  I'm joining a company tomorrow that is a friend's but it only has 8 people, and I would like to meet more, and I'm looking for people who are comfortable with a newbie to the game and are willing to give constructive points if I stray from the lore.
~Ame

Lurk more. Hang out in public spaces, try and get familiar with the ebb and flow of open RP. It's not really much different from other games, I think, aside from the lore stuff.

Lore is pretty much distributed in quests and the main story. There are a myriad crash courses available on the official forums and in lots of threads here, but you'll become pretty aware of how the world works just by playing the game. My advice would be to remain vague and general about your history or character until you feel more cemented in how stuff works in and around Eorzea.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Alothia - 03-11-2016

Ah...insecurities. I've got a lot of them. Fortunately, a lot of them stemmed from bad RP partners and dealing with that, so it's something that I've realized isn't really a problem with myself. But I'm still worried about some things.
  • So, I didn't start RPing until this game came out. I had no idea what it was, much less how to do it. So I'm insecure because I feel as if I'm still a total n00b.
  • I worry that my character is too much of a Mary Sue. I mean, she has her reasons for trying to come off as a big ray of sunshine, and she's got a lot of stuff hidden under the surface, but a lot of people don't know about it unless they bother to ask.
  • I worry that I don't write stuff that's engaging. Like, I like my writing...but I don't know if anyone else does.
  • I get jealous when my RP partners have alts and spend time on them....I think that feeds into my whole "I don't think I'm a good writer" thing.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Cecily Jisi - 03-11-2016

Well, I'm not entirely sure about Cecily just yet, but I know a few problems about myself in terms of RPing is definitely insecurity. I'm WAY too shy about approaching others IC because I feel 9/10 times I'll be rejected or flat out ignored [usually the latter]. And I guess another thing is writing a backstory for her. I haven't been able to think of something for her just yet, but I feel once I start interacting more, I'll definitely think of something.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Warren Castille - 03-11-2016

(03-11-2016, 09:46 AM)Cecily Jisi Wrote: Well, I'm not entirely sure about Cecily just yet, but I know a few problems about myself in terms of RPing is definitely insecurity. I'm WAY too shy about approaching others IC because I feel 9/10 times I'll be rejected or flat out ignored [usually the latter]. And I guess another thing is writing a backstory for her. I haven't been able to think of something for her just yet, but I feel once I start interacting more, I'll definitely think of something.

A lot of folks are fine with being asked in tells for company! If you see people talking and want to join in, shoot a tell off OOC asking if it's alright for you to hop in. That helps break the worryawkward barrier down.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Klynzahr - 03-14-2016

(03-10-2016, 06:13 PM)McBeef© Wrote: My Insecurity is the new FC i'm starting.

I hope I don't fuck it up agaaaaaiinnnnn.

Arghghghgh!

Tut tut.... we'll be fine.... just don't blow anyone up, insult any insecure folks, host too many Rp events, fail to host enough RP events, blow anyone up, accidentally recruit any asshats, blow anyone up, insult anybody or murder the FC leader and we're golden!!!!

(I'm terrified too)

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-14-2016

(03-14-2016, 03:59 PM)Klinzahr Wrote:

Arghghghgh!

Tut tut.... we'll be fine.... just don't blow anyone up, insult any insecure folks, host too many Rp events, fail to host enough RP events, blow anyone up, accidentally recruit any asshats, blow anyone up, insult anybody or murder the FC leader and we're golden!!!!

(I'm terrified too)
But I love doing all those things Sad

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Klynzahr - 03-14-2016

(03-14-2016, 04:00 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 03:59 PM)Klinzahr Wrote:

Arghghghgh!

(I'm terrified too)
But I love doing all those things Sad

We are DOOMED!

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - 13uddy - 03-16-2016

I wouldn't call my character "upbeat", but he is positive, and I worry I'm just going to be completely ignored for not being "Grr, gloom, doom and despair!" all the time.  It isn't like he's bouncing off the walls like an anime baby given too much sugar or annoyingly trying to get everyone else to be positive, but I still worry he'll be seen that way for trying to be civil, saying please and thank you and being just a tad quirky.  

I'm also worried he'll never woo a Highlander or Roe lady, but that is another insecurity entirely.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Ra'kasah Ralmel - 04-01-2016

I suffer from a lot of anxiety and intense levels of self-depreciation. I'm afraid that my character concepts are bland or uninteresting. Crowds make me anxious ( huge events are amazing to behold, but ye gods the text just flies everywhere and I never seem to fit in just right ), and I'm always concerned of being shut out from the various cliques that exist in FCs and public hangout spots.

I'm always worried of looking like a fool and never having anyone to really hang out and RP with -- a feeling that ironically chases me away from interacting with other people. I've had a few negative experiences around Balmung in the past, and while I'm not going to let those completely ruin my time, they've certainly left a lingering, bitter taste. I just worry too much. The few people I have roleplayed with swore they've loved it, though. Which is nice.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Valence - 04-01-2016

I guess I can echo what has been already said a lot. You have to keep a RP network alive, keep contact with folks, and while i'm not scared to reach people out, I always fear that i'm coming at an inopportune moment, or being too invasive, intruding, or insisting...

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Coda - 04-01-2016

(04-01-2016, 04:05 AM)Valence Wrote: I guess I can echo what has been already said a lot. You have to keep a RP network alive, keep contact with folks, and while i'm not scared to reach people out, I always fear that i'm coming at an inopportune moment, or being too invasive, intruding, or insisting...
You aren't! Smile

Also, I have a sort of irrational fear that my character won't be taken as seriously because she's not a serious person 90% of the time, or that she'll be seen as the typical eRP-bait because she's flirtatious.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Kilieit - 04-04-2016

Basically spent my time since I transferred to Balmung too bowed by insecurity to do more than 2 single pieces of RP, both of which were pre-planned and with friends.

I'm worried my character comes off as boring unless I tell you his whole backstory, and obviously if I did that he'd come across as too attention-grabbing, and I'm worried he has too many NPC-based connections to seem fair, that he has too many skills to seem balanced, that people are going to yell at me over him having the Echo, that people are going to work out or find out he's not cisgender and direct crap at me over that (or if I tell people up-front to avoid misunderstandings, direct crap at me over "shoving it in their face"), that I made his character concept too narrow to fit into anything, that if I made it any wider he'd be even more OP than he probably already is, that people will think I'm bad for making him from a fan-made tribe rather than trying to fit him into one of the lore-approved ones, that people will see stuff I wrote on my blog and assume I'm doing public RP with him as WoL (which I'm not)...

Every time I think "oh hey, maybe I could go to that event" I end up talking myself out of it and ending up at "they probably won't want someone like my character there; I'll spare them the trouble of fitting me in". Regardless of how well the event actually suits my character.

Like, I could probably see a listing for an event being like, "meeting of xaela fishermen who do bodyguard work on the side and are secretly associated to the Dutiful Sisters", and still somehow convince myself I'm not welcome or that turning up would be a nuisance for the organisers. >_>

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Kellach Woods - 04-05-2016

(04-04-2016, 12:45 AM)Kilieit Wrote: I'm worried my character comes off as boring unless I tell you his whole backstory, and obviously if I did that he'd come across as too attention-grabbing, and I'm worried he has too many NPC-based connections to seem fair, that he has too many skills to seem balanced, that people are going to yell at me over him having the Echo, that people are going to work out or find out he's not cisgender and direct crap at me over that (or if I tell people up-front to avoid misunderstandings, direct crap at me over "shoving it in their face"), that I made his character concept too narrow to fit into anything, that if I made it any wider he'd be even more OP than he probably already is, that people will think I'm bad for making him from a fan-made tribe rather than trying to fit him into one of the lore-approved ones, that people will see stuff I wrote on my blog and assume I'm doing public RP with him as WoL (which I'm not)...

I RP as a character that:
- literally has the Mime job.
- has a brother who has the Echo.
- isn't even from anywhere canonically IC.
- is pansexual.
- is essentially overly competent for his age, with a recorded solo IC kill of a Demon Tome as well as other feats of equal strength and stupidity.

and I still somehow get RP. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Rah rah!
-