Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater (/showthread.php?tid=14677)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Kellach Woods - 02-29-2016

One thing with fluff emotes...

Please turn off the write out the emote option if you're going to be using a lot of these. A few of them do not have the text you want associated with them.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Nebbs - 02-29-2016

When I am running some plot and I think people are enjoying it but I unsure since the doubt is strong in my head. Quite often I feel down after running RP because of that doubt.

So please if you enjoy someone's efforts just tell them, a word of thanks is like a warm hug.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Dis - 02-29-2016

I basically worry about everything.  And I mean that in a kind of literal sense.  Everything from 'Is my RP stale and boring?' to 'Is Glioca too strong and that's the reason no one wants to engage with her?' 

Is the fact that she's 'older' (nearly double the usual elezen lifespan) with the use of alchemy/conjury/echo/carefulness too much of a thing for people to want to interact with her?  I've had mixed results, but I often wonder if that's the biggest thing that causes people to withdraw from her. 

Is there some fatal character flaw I've given her that I don't see, but others do?  I've even been toning her strength down through RP and plot to where she's 'more realistic' (as gauged by what we've seen non-WoL NPC's accomplish).

The worry and insecurities have kind of shoved me back into a hole that I rarely crawl out of, and now I tend to avoid open world RP almost entirely because of it.  The worst part is that this has made me unhappy as a player, because I adore interacting with and meeting new people, and expanding my RP circle to include other players.

I also worry that I'm just not engaging enough for people to want to interact with in any capacity. But I think that can sometimes be a universal RP'er thing, more than just a 'one specific person about this one specific character' thing.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Teadrinker - 03-10-2016

I'm scared that my ideas suck. I'm scared my spontaneous events suck. I'm scared my DMing combat sucks. I'm scared my plotlines suck. I'm scared I don't somehow manage to involve enough people.

I get told the contrary all the damn time but like....ugh. Make it go away. Like I'm open to criticism and the people I'm with have offered it to others before I've heard them but there is usually none for me and I don't know if that means I'm doing a good job or if I suck so bad they don't wanna touch that shit.

Like the bar I set for myself is sooooo fucking high. I don't pull the trigger on any idea or event unless I have meticulous amounts of thought put into it about who might do what and contingencies upon contingencies and weave plot and ideas into each other and into other characters backstories to try and loop them in and give everyone a chance to feel important and try to feel like they matter while still getting the general ideas across.

Ironically though, I have the most fun with just a general concept and I'm just flying by the seat of my pants with someone I like and trust.

/diatribe

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Kodie - 03-10-2016

It's always been a thing for me through my years of rping, but I always worry that my partner may get bored in the middle of a scene, so I always find myself asking in the middle of it "Hope you're having fun!", and of course the whole thought of "Oh man they hate this, they think I suck, ugh!"

I also prefer private rps mostly because I always think that other people outside my roleplay will judge me for some reason.

Yay for insecurities!

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Coda - 03-10-2016

I'm mostly afraid of not doing my character justice. My current main, Wander, is a brash, childish, thieving, unrepentant loudmouth with a penchant for substance abuse while my typical characters are calm introverts. 

It's hard. I've caught myself slip back into that solitary, polite, 'head-y' mindset more times than I care to admit. I'm sure I'll get it eventually but for now I'm worried she might not come across the way I intend

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - A'mahri - 03-10-2016

I have a constant fear of how others will feel when it comes to the characters that I make. I used to enjoy having chaotic aligned characters, until someone decided they want to mix IC and OOC and created a huge mess which sorta turned me away from RP for a long time until coming to FF. Since then, I've mostly made lawful/neutral characters so that doesn't happen again. < __ >

I also have a tendency of worrying about what other people think while RP'ing with them. It feels this way more so when our characters are just having a bit of chit chat..like "oh noooo, I'm being boring, my character is boring, they're getting bored time to wrap this up byebye D:"

Lastly, I worry that my characters are a bit too 'convenient' most of the time. I'm not the type of person to take huge roles and prefer being some sort of support. For example, my current character is a retainer/work partner of another character. I also try not to give them too many skills as well in fear that my character would get called out as a mary-sue.

tl;dr - I worry too much about what other people think while RPing.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Caspar - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 01:24 PM)Coda Wrote: I'm mostly afraid of not doing my character justice. My current main, Wander, is a brash, childish, thieving, unrepentant loudmouth with a penchant for substance abuse while my typical characters are calm introverts. 

It's hard. I've caught myself slip back into that solitary, polite, 'head-y' mindset more times than I care to admit. I'm sure I'll get it eventually but for now I'm worried she might not come across the way I intend
I feel similarly. True my character is not a dunce and she know a lot about her field of focus, but she is not a very cerebral character and prefers to think less than more. It is more comfortable that way.

I was pigeonholed into smarty pants characters by my old forum, not by any fault of theirs or my own, and so I worry if my lines sound right and maintain proper "voice." I want to avoid things like Hu Ge's Guo Jing in Condor Heroes, where an ostensibly thickheaded, perhaps even stupid, character is mysteriously wise or perceptive in situations he wasn't in the original novel.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Edgar - 03-10-2016

For me, my insecurities lie with trying to get a plot arc going so my character is more than a walking backstory, but being afraid to do so because I feel I may not be able to get an interesting enough story going or that I'll somehow just manage to completely fuck it up.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-10-2016

My Insecurity is the new FC i'm starting.

I hope I don't fuck it up agaaaaaiinnnnn.

Arghghghgh!

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Parvacake - 03-10-2016

I tend to make characters that fall into three categories: the grumpy but (strangely) lovable, the maternal, or the vivacious/cheerful/friendly. Of course, I've played characters that have ventured outside of that scope on numerous occasions. But these three tend to reign supreme.

The grumpy: I'm always nervous that I won't be able to get RP on grumpy characters because they're so...well, grumpy. Sometimes blunt and rude. Some times close lipped and not very responsive. Sometimes even volatile if their space or buttons are pushed too much. This can sometimes put off players/characters and prevent further RP, which gets me droopy at times since the grumps can be really enjoyable once you give them time @_@

The maternal: My mains in GW2, FF14, and WoW all ended up being maternal types. Usually not starting that way and just growing into those shoes over time and development. While a generally well liked character type, I fret sometimes over how likable they can be. Some might think 'How can that be a bad thing?!' and so I'll break it down:

I've had a variety of problems over a variety of MMOs (that's been a mix of fault on both sides) in the last fifteen or so years of roleplay where people like my character too much. They want more RP time with them, more development, more interactions, more one-on-one scenes, moremoremoremoremore. I'm only one person with so many hours in the day to devote to being awake and to gaming. Usually I can only fit two or three engagements in an evening depending on the length and how much attention is needed. Sometimes this has ended in fall out where the other person gets discontent, gets mad at me, sulks, etc.

Usually this only happens with characters of mine that fall into the maternal scope of things. Even though I've had plenty of great experiences...I sometimes catch myself stressing.

The cheerful/friendly
: Usually these are my least troublesome characters, but I'll still worry if their cheerfulness is being annoying or not @_@

(03-10-2016, 06:13 PM)McBeef© Wrote: My Insecurity is the new FC i'm starting.

Arghghghgh!

Relax, you'll do fine. How could you possibly fuck it up, anyroad?

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 06:18 PM)Edgar Wrote:

Arghghghgh!

Well how long do you have? You might want to get a chair and a drink because this could be a long list.

(03-10-2016, 06:23 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(03-10-2016, 06:18 PM)Edgar Wrote:

Arghghghgh!

Well how long do you have? You might want to get a chair and a drink because this could be a long list.

[Image: 4282483_700b.jpg]

I came prepared. Lay it on me.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Max - 03-10-2016

MY BIGGEST UNCERTAINTY/INSECURITY... TIME!

As someone who predominately roleplayed in forums, adapting to the mmo format has continued to be challenging for me and my particular writing style.

I find myself rushing a lot when rping in game. I don't wanna take too long with my responses since I (personally) tend to find long pauses to be awkward in a real-time mmo setting. With that said, as a forum rper I actually prefer having plenty of time to sit back and analyze what my character would say and do next. In MMO rp I feel I don't have that luxury (of time).

COMBAT

This sort of ties in with my thingy above. I actually love to write combat stuff, but on the spot it's very hard for me and I find myself flailing and hoping I'm not interpreting the other persons actions wrongly. One of the main reasons I've avoided participating in the Grindstone Cry

Also... continuations, I guess. I've had my fair share of rp and met many characters, but I haven't really had anything consistent in terms of development with other characters. It's usually we meet once or twice and that's it. Never anything substantive enough to develop Max.

EDIT:
OH, AND ALSO.. CROWDED EVENTS AND FLOODED CHATS.
I'm always afraid I'll miss something due to the lack of chat bubbles and I find it overwhelming at times.