Hydaelyn Role-Players
Returning player, looking for a home - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Returning player, looking for a home (/showthread.php?tid=14630)

Returning player, looking for a home - Aera - 12-16-2015

Hi! I'm not new to FF14 (played around 2.0 launch for a few months, but not since then), so I was interested in coming back to give the game another go. I think the first time I got caught up in the race to 50 and didn't really take the time to enjoy the game, so I was hoping to take it a bit slower and also do some RP and get more immersed in the world.

The only question is... where? It seems Balmung and Gilgamesh are perma-full these days. Are there other good shards for RP? Should I pay for the xfer?

Some more stuff about me...

MMORPG background: I've played most of the big ones. I'm not what I'd call 'hardcore," though. I don't like raids or grinding.

RP experience: Mostly from table top RPGs like D&D, kinda hit or miss. I've done a lot of creative writing too.

Character ideas/info: Still working on this.

How did you learn about the coalition? I found a link in a Reddit post after doing some searches for FF14 RP.

What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy? I'll probably start out light and ease my way into it as I get comfortable. We'll see where it goes from there...

Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc) So I guess my one secret I'm going to share right now is part of the reason I'm doing this. I have really, really bad social anxiety IRL. I'm trying to get more involved with a community as a form of exposure therapy. I'm hoping that being able to project a character while I'm socializing will make it a little easier.

Anyways, enough heavy stuff... nice to meet everyone!

Chocobo

RE: Returning player, looking for a home - Lydia Lightfoot - 12-16-2015

I definitely recommend Balmung due to the high level of RP activity. It'll be the easiest place for you to find a group of players that you'll have rapport with. The $18 transfer fee applies to multiple characters, so if your account type is one where you're paying for multiple characters rather than one-per-server, and if you like alts, pre-make a few characters and transfer them all at once to save money.

While you needn't rush to 50 by any means, you may remember from before that some features of the game are gated behind the main story quests, so you may want to push yourself to proceed through the main story until at least the point when you unlock airship travel (level 15 main story quests, though your character level may be higher at that time). Prior to that point, you'll be limited in where you can potentially go to RP.

RE: Returning player, looking for a home - Accendie - 12-16-2015

With the servers down for maintenance, if you can, get up and try to get on -before- schedule up time. Lots say that's the perfect time to squeeze in.

RE: Returning player, looking for a home - Aera - 12-16-2015

Thanks for the tips! I'll probably spend some time figuring things out on another server and just pay for the transfer when I'm ready. Smile

RE: Returning player, looking for a home - Roe Dad - 12-16-2015

Welcome!

RE: Returning player, looking for a home - Accendie - 12-18-2015

(12-16-2015, 12:39 PM)Aera Wrote: Thanks for the tips! I'll probably spend some time figuring things out on another server and just pay for the transfer when I'm ready. Smile

That's what a lot of us (myself included!) ended up doing. FYI when you transfer you can bring like up to 8 characters from the same server at the same time so I suggest making alts as well as your main. I wish I had done that if only for the retainer space!!

Hope we can cross paths after you get on the server!!