Hydaelyn Role-Players
New RP player - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: New RP player (/showthread.php?tid=14480)

New RP player - Mystbourne - 12-03-2015

Hey everyone! My name is Myst and I am new to the RP world. I have played FFXIV off and on for the past 2 years or so and I am looking to try a new aspect of the game. can anyone recommend ways to get started? Should I start a new character or transfer my main to a new server? I am really excited to get started but don't have a clue where to begin! Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Myst

RE: New RP player - Swashbuckler - 12-03-2015

Hello and welcome to RPC!

The first question I'd like to pose is what would you like to accomplish as far as RP? There are many flavours of RP here and finding out what you'd like to do would be a great starting point.

Starting a new character is always fun but if you'd like a wider array of content as far as game goes (and as far as gear and glamours go), I'd recommend transferring your main. (Though this costs $18 to do.)

RE: New RP player - Mystbourne - 12-03-2015

(12-03-2015, 08:02 PM)Swashbuckler Wrote: Hello and welcome to RPC!

The first question I'd like to pose is what would you like to accomplish as far as RP? There are many flavours of RP here and finding out what you'd like to do would be a great starting point.

Starting a new character is always fun but if you'd like a wider array of content as far as game goes (and as far as gear and glamours go), I'd recommend transferring your main. (Though this costs $18 to do.)

Thank you so much for your reply! 

As I am new to RP I would like to start off slow. Character development and establishing relationships with other players (I spent the last 3 years as a solo player after a really core group of friends had a falling out). 

I find myself drawn to adventures and fantasy in my reading habits so maybe something along those lines. To be perfectly honest I am unsure where to start. I will most likely transfer my main to a good RP server once I figure out where I want to go or where would be best for me to start.

I am thinking about getting my feet wet with a new character however as my main has a lot of personal history carried over from FFIV and I don't want to mess that up.

Myst

RE: New RP player - MissMizzy - 12-03-2015

Hey there! I am new to ffxiv, but I have RP in different mmorpg's before. I agree with Swashbuckler, you need to ask yourself what your into. I created a character and starting playing just to get a feel for the game before I came up with a RP character first, and it feels like there are a lot of different way's to RP on here.

In terms of starting, there seem to be 2 different takes on it, depending on how you like to do it. There is 1. Planning a character and backstory before you start to play, and 2. Going in and developing your story as you go.

I personally LOVE creating a character and backstory first. Smile

(12-03-2015, 09:30 PM)missmizzy4 Wrote: Hey there! I am new to ffxiv, but I have RP in different mmorpg's before. I agree with Swashbuckler, you need to ask yourself what your into. I created a character and starting playing just to get a feel for the game before I came up with a RP character first, and it feels like there are a lot of different way's to RP on here.

In terms of starting, there seem to be 2 different takes on it, depending on how you like to do it. There is 1. Planning a character and backstory before you start to play, and 2. Going in and developing your story as you go.

I think I am going to start a character and build as a I go to get a feel for RP. I think I am going to start on Balmung and just feel things out and if I feel like things are going well/good fit I will build a back story for my main and transfer her over from Adamantoise. 

What I am really looking for is a group that doesn't mind helping out a noob get her feet wet.

Myst

RE: New RP player - Faye - 12-03-2015

Hello there, welcome to the RPC! Getting onto Balmung can be difficult if not often impossible without transferring to the server. Otherwise, the server is often closed to new characters. I'd recommend just transferring your main here, since otherwise you'd be paying just to transfer an alt. But if you want to leave your main on your current server, you could still transfer an alt, or try your luck at making an alt on Balmung. Smile

RE: New RP player - MissMizzy - 12-03-2015

(12-03-2015, 09:52 PM)Mystbourne Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 09:30 PM)missmizzy4 Wrote: Hey there! I am new to ffxiv, but I have RP in different mmorpg's before. I agree with Swashbuckler, you need to ask yourself what your into. I created a character and starting playing just to get a feel for the game before I came up with a RP character first, and it feels like there are a lot of different way's to RP on here.

I think I am going to start a character and build as a I go to get a feel for RP. I think I am going to start on Balmung and just feel things out and if I feel like things are going well/good fit I will build a back story for my main and transfer her over from Adamantoise. 

What I am really looking for is a group that doesn't mind helping out a noob get her feet wet.

Myst

When I first joined WOW, all my friends who persuaded me to join were like all awesome to chat with and they gave me all this gear to give me a head start and that, but they were all maxed out and going on raids and that. They wanted to help me out, but they didn't want to be bored killing level 10 monsters all day.

My point being, I decided to make new friends online as well that were new and my level, and we helped each other level together and progress through the quests together and were much more helpful then any seasoned player could have been. And most of them ended up becoming the core friends I played with till I stopped playing wow. 

So I would love to accompany you with your new character if you will have me. Smile And hopefully, we can acquire a few others to join us on our journey's.

However, I am not transferring any characters to Balmung unless by the time my character is well leveled the server isn't open still I will. :/

(12-03-2015, 10:08 PM)missmizzy4 Wrote: When I first joined WOW, all my friends who persuaded me to join were like all awesome to chat with and they gave me all this gear to give me a head start and that, but they were all maxed out and going on raids and that. They wanted to help me out, but they didn't want to be bored killing level 10 monsters all day.

My point being, I decided to make new friends online as well that were new and my level, and we helped each other level together and progress through the quests together and were much more helpful then any seasoned player could have been. And most of them ended up becoming the core friends I played with till I stopped playing wow. 

So I would love to accompany you with your new character if you will have me. Smile And hopefully, we can acquire a few others to join us on our journey's.

However, I am not transferring any characters to Balmung unless by the time my character is well leveled the server isn't open still I will. :/

I would love to have your company on my journey! 
I am not looking to be Power leveled but rather someone to show me the ropes of RP. What server are you on? I would love to start a new adventure with new friends!

(12-03-2015, 10:07 PM)Faye Wrote: Hello there, welcome to the RPC! Getting onto Balmung can be difficult if not often impossible without transferring to the server. Otherwise, the server is often closed to new characters. I'd recommend just transferring your main here, since otherwise you'd be paying just to transfer an alt. But if you want to leave your main on your current server, you could still transfer an alt, or try your luck at making an alt on Balmung. Smile

Thank you for the tip! I may be doing just that and transferring my main and alts over after pay day!

Myst

RE: New RP player - MissMizzy - 12-04-2015

(12-03-2015, 10:13 PM)Mystbourne Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 10:08 PM)missmizzy4 Wrote: When I first joined WOW, all my friends who persuaded me to join were like all awesome to chat with and they gave me all this gear to give me a head start and that, but they were all maxed out and going on raids and that. They wanted to help me out, but they didn't want to be bored killing level 10 monsters all day.

I would love to have your company on my journey! 
I am not looking to be Power leveled but rather someone to show me the ropes of RP. What server are you on? I would love to start a new adventure with new friends!

Awesome! I like to soak it in while I level up as well. I can definitely show you the basics at least for sure. Smile

I have been trying out Siren and Jenova, so far they are both pretty equal. I will be creating a new one anyway. Just let me know when you want to start. Tonight maybe? I am in the Eastern time zone so for me right now it is 9:17am. WHat is your timezone? Smile