Hydaelyn Role-Players
please respond - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: please respond (/showthread.php?tid=14280)

Pages: 1 2

please respond - Seriphyn - 11-14-2015

This is easily the most soul-crushingly embarrassing and awkward type of thing to happen to me in FFXIV; sending a tell to someone you intend to RP with (like with an innocuous "Hi!") only to not get a reply. Maybe you might even risk a second hello, only to look like a total creep or something. But perhaps they're busy, and your tell was missed in a wall of text?

It makes me feel like a beta af cringelord. Tell me I'm not the only one to feel this!

please post in my thread

RE: please respond - Khunbish Avagnar - 11-14-2015

ALL THE TIME, and even with people I RP with frequently!
You aren't alone in this one

RE: please respond - Aaron - 11-14-2015

This is why i dont send tells to people i dont know lol

RE: please respond - Elaris - 11-14-2015

Yes, you're not the only one. When it comes to meeting new people to RP with I'm usually the one to send the /tell or just a general walk up. However, If I don't get a reply after the third attempt I feel like a total creep and never bother again because it is in fact embarrassing lol. I let it slide if I'm very frequent with the person though because you never know, people AFK so often as I do.

RE: please respond - Parth Makeo - 11-14-2015

Hi. I'm probably the person who is guilty of not replying in some situations...But then again can you blame me for not being at the keyboard. There were a few rare moments where i had to apologize to some people who came up to my characters because i was AFK before the afk chair came on my head and they left. Makes me feel bad for it.

Whether i am making food, watching something on another monitor or so on while waiting for an event or once in a while casually emoting something to keep myself active ICly there are those times where i am on the the receiving end of those walk ups Sad

Sorry.

RE: please respond - Gabineaux - 11-14-2015

I constantly walk away from my computer so chances are I'm afk when people send me tells.. I usually always respond when I get back though.

RE: please respond - Cailean Lockwood - 11-14-2015

I've had it happen to me a few times, me sending people a tell without getting any sort of response... but you know what?

IT'S NOT THAT BIG A DEAL!

I just shrug and go "Oh well" and move on with my life.

RE: please respond - Maril - 11-14-2015

I just always assume people are AFK if they don't respond. Perhaps because I always end up getting /tells when I have to afk, even if I put the afk-chair on.
If people intentionally ignore it then I probably didn't want to speak with them anyways.

RE: please respond - Lydia Lightfoot - 11-14-2015

Be sure that your chat is set up to show you the red error messages, because if the person you tried to send a tell to is in a Duty they can't receive your tell at all (not even for the sake of being able to reply to it later). Similarly, if you did leave them one successfully but they didn't reply (due to being AFK, perhaps) they may try to reply later and you're in a Duty and can't receive their response. Oops.

Yeah, the no-tells-in-Duty is a pain in the butt. It's nice in principle, to keep people focused while they're in a dungeon group, except that they can still chat in linkshells and Free Company chat, so it kinda fails. It'd be nice if they added a "tells inbox" that would cause all your Duty-intercepted tells to show up as soon as you get out, though.

If you try a tell and get no reply at all, think about sending them a mail or something.

RE: please respond - Izayoi - 11-14-2015

Or your unlucky and whisper someone like me, who panic, and don't dare reply Blush

RE: please respond - Coatleque - 11-14-2015

If I don't reply then I'm either AFK or in the middle of another RP Scene which means my chat window is limited to say, em, yell, and party. There have been instances where I've even replied once or twice, then forgot to check back for an answer.

RE: please respond - Nero - 11-14-2015

I typically have all of my game sounds turned off and so don't always see when I get sent tells. This makes it awkward because I'll be off crafting or doing daily quests or some such and end up looking like I completely ignored someone when really I am just awful at paying attention.

RE: please respond - Roen - 11-14-2015

I do pretty much what Crofte said.

I have honestly forgotten to go back and check for replies because I get so easily distracted.

Also I do go afk for a bit here and there, and when I come back, I don't scroll back to see if anyone sent me a tell since it usually means scrolling through LS and FC chat.

I never try and ignore anyone outright.

When I don't get a response to a tell for a long time? I assume the same thing happened on the other end too. I poke them again, and if that fails, I try another day!

RE: please respond - Caspar - 11-14-2015

It's tough for me to do this, and every /tell to someone I don't know that well is a pretty major investment of my attention. I'm used to others approaching me, so oddly when it comes time for me to speak to others, the spaghetti falls out of my pocket and I can't help but ramble or lack assertiveness. It's easy enough for me to respond directly when someone sends me a /tell and I will always message back as promptly as I am able. If I don't respond it's almost always because I am in duty; I actually find time to respond to /tells even in the midst of RP because of my fast typing speed. I'm used to multitasking from work. If I'm not in duty and I don't respond, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be away from the keyboard.

RE: please respond - Mia Moui - 11-15-2015

If I am not AFK I will almost always stop what I'm doing and answer a /tell.  If I miss a tell, I will answer it even if I think that person has long since moved on - unless it's a bot.  I don't talk to the bots.

I do not usually send /tells unless I know the player.  I usually strike up conversations in game the same way I do in life, I just start making small talk and see where that goes.

But if you see Mia Moui - send a /tell.  You're pretty much guaranteed that I'll answer.