Hydaelyn Role-Players
Plausibility of a Job in Limsa - Thoughts? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Plausibility of a Job in Limsa - Thoughts? (/showthread.php?tid=14272)

Plausibility of a Job in Limsa - Thoughts? - Melodia - 11-13-2015

So, I have been struggling to get Melodia in a direction and I have always kept her rooted to Limsa in some capacity whether it was a resident, or a Yellowjacket. What I was wondering was, what would be the plausibility of maybe playing her as some sort of city inspector, be it a docks and cargo inspector, or a business inspector? I work in government irl so it's not a far fetched thing for me to rp the job, but I wondered lore-wise, how realistic that kind of job would be to play. Any thoughts would be welcome. Smile

RE: Plausibility of a Job in Limsa - Thoughts? - Warren Castille - 11-13-2015

Given Limsa's odd relationships with pirates and the like, it'd not at all unreasonable that there'd be a boatload (har har) of red tape and extensive rules and regulations all of the various trading vessels going in and out. Seems pretty reasonable to my ears.

RE: Plausibility of a Job in Limsa - Thoughts? - Oli! - 11-13-2015

This is actually half the job of the Arcanists' Guild, so it would be very plausible.

RE: Plausibility of a Job in Limsa - Thoughts? - FreelanceWizard - 11-13-2015

(11-13-2015, 09:44 AM)Melodia Wrote: So, I have been struggling to get Melodia in a direction and I have always kept her rooted to Limsa in some capacity whether it was a resident, or a Yellowjacket. What I was wondering was, what would be the plausibility of maybe playing her as some sort of city inspector, be it a docks and cargo inspector, or a business inspector? I work in government irl so it's not a far fetched thing for me to rp the job, but I wondered lore-wise, how realistic that kind of job would be to play. Any thoughts would be welcome. Smile

As Oli! mentioned, the Arcanists' Guild -- Mealvaan's Gate -- is actually the customs bureau for Limsa Lominsa. Arcanists inspect ships, use their carbuncles to sniff out contraband and concealed cargo, and collect the taxes that keep the city running. This is why arcanists are sometimes called customs agents armed with maths and magic squirrels. Smile While we don't see any other examples of regulatory authorities short of the "informal" regulators of the pirates' code in the Dutiful Sisters of the Edelweiss (the Rogues' Guild), it seems plausible that a city with a whole guild devoted to customs would have other regulatory regimes. I doubt they're as formal as you might see in the other city-states, given the typical Lominsan's "live your own way as long as you don't get in mine" perspective, but I suspect trades of key relevance to the city's livelihood -- shipbuilding, architecture, and so on -- are carefully monitored. Also, the guilds themselves are going to have their own internal regulatory structure, so you might play an trade inspector of blacksmiths, for instance. No member of a guild wants inferior members making them all look bad!

RE: Plausibility of a Job in Limsa - Thoughts? - Kestrael - 11-13-2015

This sounds interesting and doable. I imagine there could be lots of fun rp involving bribes and the such if your character was a bit shady.

RE: Plausibility of a Job in Limsa - Thoughts? - Saravahn - 11-13-2015

My fourth or fifth string (depending on my mood that day) alt actually works as a "customs agent" of sorts with Maelvaan's Gate. She's an arcanist in the sense that she can do very basic physicking and attacking geometries and can summon a carbuncle... but certainly not much of an adventuring type.

Granted, this RP has only been among company members or just forum writing... not with the general community.... but as has been stated before, what you described is essentially the arcanist's guild.

RE: Plausibility of a Job in Limsa - Thoughts? - Aya - 11-13-2015

Sounds wonderfully plausible and immersion creating One of the 'benefits' of the Admiral's rule :-D

RE: Plausibility of a Job in Limsa - Thoughts? - Sig - 11-13-2015

Compliance officials and similar business-oriented vocations are extremely reasonable and under-played professions.  There is a wealth of unique RP to be found in such roles, as it adds depth and makes the setting of the game far more believable.  The OP's background will probably help her make inspection-related scenes appear very believable.

Definitely go for it!