Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Looking for local Lorewalkers/Historians/ETC - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Looking for local Lorewalkers/Historians/ETC (/showthread.php?tid=14257)

[Balmung] Looking for local Lorewalkers/Historians/ETC - Ozma - 11-11-2015

So after several scrapping and re-works I think I ended up with a character that I'm very happy to roleplay as. 

But before I begin introducing her, I just wanted to shout out to all the wonderful people I've met on the forums and in-game who contributed various ideas I most likely would never have come up with and it's thanks to everyone that I managed to get things in good order. So a bit about my character Yamato. She is a Doman Refugee who came to Ul'dah along with the other refugees that were introduced in past expansions led by Lady Yugiri. She has a bit of a history with Garlemald's military performing wicked deeds thinking it was the just thing to do but ended up realizing she was participating in unjustified slaughter. She failed to comply to orders to raze a village and instead assisted in helping the unknown villagers to safety. Faced with a Court Martial she escaped to Doma, her motherland and sought sanctuary by joining a religious order native to Doma. 

I won't elaborate on the religious order since this is a delicate subject as we know next to nothing about it. The way I envisioned it, it would resemble Shinto religion and she would be a Shrine Maiden that believes in the Dawn Father (aka Izanagi). I know that some people will disagree about this concept based on the fact that nothing of the such is established fact but let me explain it further down the track. 

She eventually took up a new name and became a Shrine Maiden (abandoning her Garlean name). During her years as a Miko she became acquainted with one of the head priests who was a former Ninja and during one of Garlemald's earlier skirmish on the outskirts of Doma, he saw her potential as a disciple when she fended off the scouts with a glaive. Seeing her as a promising disciple he chose to instruct her as he believed it would be best to increase the number of capable warriors at hand in the event Garlemald chose to increase their efforts in crushing Doma. 

She tried to defend her motherland when Garlemald attacked but due to Gekkai's betrayal (unknown to others at the time) their efforts had been for naught and Domans were forced to flee. She was among those who assisted in evacuation of the refugees and eventually came to Ul'dah on one of the ships led by Yugiri. 

Basically that's her story in a nutshell, I know I could have fleshed things out further but it's a brief overview. 

As for what she is doing currently. 

She is disguised as a curious foreign traveler. Her mission as a shinobi is to collect information about each country and its leaders as well as studying about the different country's commerce/trades and report this information back to (Yugiri? I'm wondering about this since while she is the leader of the Refugees I figured she would be reporting to Oboro since he's the leader of the ninjas) 

Now as for why I think it's somewhat alright to roleplay as a travelling Shrine Maiden who serves the god Dawn Father (Izanagi?) even though nothing of Doman religion is established facts. 

As a shinobi who specialize in information gathering and as someone who had to hide away her identity in order to survive from Garlemald's heretic examiners, I think she would be a naturally born liar. She is great at gathering various information and at the same time she is a talented weaver of lies who is great at giving out convincing information. Since not many are familiar with Doma or it's religion I think it's a great cover up disguise to have her tell stories about Doma and the religion of the Dawn Father (fictional stuff I fabricated based on Shinto religion). Now I have to strongly stress that everything she says about her religion is potentially lies (Since who knows Square Enix might end up using Shinto as base foundation of Doma's fictional religion if they choose to explore the idea more in future content) but at the same time it might also carry hints of truth. 

She is a Shrine Maiden by trade and in public she seems to specialize in religious rituals such as purification rituals, crafting various charms, Exorcism? (of monsters and voidsent with her ceremonial glaive/spear), and spreading various folklore and stories she's heard throughout her travels. She is a gifted muse and has great interest in literature, and loves telling stories built on theories past scholars have brought up.

For General Roleplay:

Yamato is generally open to walk up roleplays, she'll come off as a cheerful traveler eager to learn more about the land and has stories about culture, religion and customs native to Doma. In battle aside from being a shinobi which she tries to hide at all times, she is also able to wield her ceremonial glaive (Naginata, originally meant for religious practice)with good efficiency from her previous experience as a Imperial Hastatus (Lancer). In RPs inside dungeon environments she'll most likely be participating as a Lancer. It would be nice to meet roleplayers who have extensive knowledge about the lore, customs, cultures native to Eorzea since I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about those topics both ICly and OOCly but I'm also open to casual roleplays taking place in taverns and cities. 

For the past week or so I've assisted Raen who was born outside Doma to find the meaning of their name and transfer the meaning over to a Doman(Japanese/Kanji) name which held similar meanings. I've taught those interested in the Dawn Father (Izanagai) customs and ceremonies of the religion (aka Shinto) ICly and to some extent OOCly i guess. I've also been gathering more information about Ul'dah by talking with various people in Quicksand but would love to find characters who knows more about it's political structure and various military faction within Ul'dah. So if you're a sultansworn or brass blade and willing to roleplay let me know in this thread.

I'm generally available from 6AM GMT or 9pm PST

RE: [Balmung] Looking for local Lorewalkers/Historians/ETC - Oli! - 11-11-2015

Oliwat would he happy to meet her, and is likely easy to find.

He and his (now-missing) family were a group of travelling researchers and explorers, whose entire trade revolved around the publishing of an atlas and traveler's guide / encyclopedia called The Rattlepack Guide to Lands Far and Wide. The last issue was published some fifteen-odd years ago, so it's quite outdated, but Oliwat is (supposedly) working on a new one.

Adventuring with him might be a good way to get a lay of the land.

RE: [Balmung] Looking for local Lorewalkers/Historians/ETC - Ozma - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 04:29 PM)Oli! Wrote: Oliwat would he happy to meet her, and is likely easy to find.

He and his (now-missing) family were a group of travelling researchers and explorers, whose entire trade revolved around the publishing of an atlas and traveler's guide / encyclopedia called The Rattlepack Guide to Lands Far and Wide. The last issue was published some fifteen-odd years ago, so it's quite outdated, but Oliwat is (supposedly) working on a new one.

Thanks Oli that definitely does sound like a very attractive offer. I'll definitely be on the lookout for Oliwat 7 hours later (When I'm back home after work).

RE: [Balmung] Looking for local Lorewalkers/Historians/ETC - Oli! - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 06:22 PM)Ozma Wrote:
(11-11-2015, 04:29 PM)Oli! Wrote: Oliwat would he happy to meet her, and is likely easy to find.

Thanks Oli that definitely does sound like a very attractive offer. I'll definitely be on the lookout for Oliwat 7 hours later (When I'm back home after work).

I might not be on until the end of the week because I'm mostly messing about in Fallout 4 at the moment, but feel free to keep an eye out around Saturday or so!