Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra naming! Help! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Au Ra naming! Help! (/showthread.php?tid=14217)

Au Ra naming! Help! - Yunas13 - 11-08-2015

[Image: 2udw1kw.png]

Hi Roleplayers!
This is Mizuki, an Au Ra Arcanist I will be leveling and I can't for the life of me come up with a proper last name for her. I apologize for the post if it doesn't go here but I really need assistance.

Mizuki I believe fits the Au Ra naming conventions as I did the random name generation at the character screen and that name popped up. For those who might not know but Mizuki means (mi) "beautiful" and 月 (zuki) "moon". It can also come from 瑞 (mizu) "congratulations" and 希 (ki) "hope". I think Sakura is a surname from Edo Era and it means "Cherry Blossom" so her name would be Mizuki Sakura, translation "Beautiful Moon Cherry Blossom" or "Congratulations, Hope Cherry Blossom" (I prefer the first translation) Smile Do you think it works? If not what last name would you suggest for my future character?

Thank you for reading!

I am really excited to play her! I want to either write a fanfiction about this character OR actually move her to Balmung and RP. Can't wait to read what you all suggest.

RE: Au Ra naming! Help! - Kasumi - 11-09-2015

I'm not one to stomp all over naming ideas, but I'd really advise caution against throwing words together like that.

Sakura, that I know of, would not be a good choice for last name as it's primarily a first name. Unless you have a really good reason for it, I'd look for something else. The best example I can give would be like running into someone named "John Bob." Sure, it can be a last name, but it's very odd.

Japanese surnames, especially Edo period, are more about a person's profession or their village in some way. 

Kawaguchi - "River entrance"
Yamanaka - "Middle of mountains"
Fujikawa - "Wysteria River"
Honda - "Origin Field"
Kitamura - "Northern Village"

These are good examples of Edo period last names. I'd really recommend taking time and looking through Japanese Edo Surnames a bit closer.

Feel free to PM me or send a note, anything, if you'd like more assistance on it.

Thank you!

RE: Au Ra naming! Help! - murasaki - 11-09-2015

The first name would work just fine, I reckon. One could be forgiven to think it reads "Mitsuki", but ambiguous names do exist - especially in recent years due to hipster parents slapping together random kanji just for the sake of "cool" phonetics Tongue
「美月」as "Mizuki" is fine though.

As for surname however, "Sakura" more commonly refers to 「佐倉」rather than「桜」
Personally, I feel「佐倉」to be more appropriate as a Raen surname. Here's why: (Translations will be tricky as there are no direct English translations, but bear with me)
佐 = "sa" = assistant, helper. Usually used more as a title or role - very commonly used in military ranks like "taisa" (colonel), "shousa" (major)
倉 = "kura" = storehouse, warehouse, granary, treasury.

In terms of lore and RP, the "Sakura" surname would indicate that your family or at least your ancestors somewhere up the lineage were in charge of granaries / treasuries. Maybe even run a bank?

Well, I hope you get the general idea Smile

RE: Au Ra naming! Help! - Yunas13 - 11-09-2015

I wasn't throwing words together. Sad I have been doing research and Mizuki did pop up when I did clicked the little random name generator. I think I like Fujikawa for a surname. 

Mizuki Fujikawa 

name translates "Beautiful, Moon, Wysteria River" and I think it flows nicely, don't you agree? I was thinking of Mizuki being a scholar/teacher, she loves to learn and enjoys learning about the history of Eorzea. I want to say that she was the daughter of a clan in Othard and a priestess/miko as that is what she looks like to me.

RE: Au Ra naming! Help! - murasaki - 11-09-2015

Sakura is a legit surname too, IMO. I'm not sure how "modern" it is, but it is not an uncommon surname. You can definitely use it if you like it, just not the sakura tree version Laugh

Heck, the surname I'm using was completely made up and I've never seen the name used in real-life Japan. Ever. But I believe it fits the Raen lore nonetheless. You need to keep in mind that Othard is not Japan. They only borrowed ye olde Japan's naming convention =]

Edit: Grammar.

RE: Au Ra naming! Help! - LadyCleriseaux - 11-10-2015

More Raen! Yay! My character is Izayoi (waning moon, or 16th Night) Fujiwara (Wisteria Plain) so her name would roughly translate to 16th night on the wisteria plain. Which is perfect because that's when she was born and where she is from.

Surnames like the ones used in the Edo and Sengoku periods are pretty good. They usualy denote a georgraphical location. As for first names I looked at period anime. Namely shows ike Inuyasha, Basilisk, etc.

RE: Au Ra naming! Help! - Vyce - 11-10-2015

I'm not sure where you got your facts from in Japanese.

Beautiful - 美しい "utsukushii"
The kanji used here is "utsuku" in the context of beauty. Kanji is rooted in Chinese, so it may be pronounced "mi" or something similar there.

To Congratulate (dictionary form) - 祝う "iwau". Kanji is "iwa".
Congratulations - おめでとうございます "omedetougozaimasu"

Water - æ°´ "mizu"

Tree - 木 "ki" (can also be translated as "wood")

Moon - 月 "tsuki"

To Look (dictionary form) - 見る "miru". Kanji is "mi".

Moon Viewing - 月見 "tsukimi". (This is a noun not a verb)

Names in Japanese don't follow rules like that. It's two separate kanji shoved together to make a word that doesn't really have a meaning other than the sound it makes. You could use any Kanji that makes the same sound. In fact it's a whole name game in Japan where you change the kanji in peoples names and harass them (Japan has an enormous bullying problem). The kanji for particles of beauty and moon can become "she's an overwatered tree".
In the context of FF14, the symbology of the name is taken out of the equation due to the lack of Asiatic characters. So ultimately, if it sounds nice to you, do it.

RE: Au Ra naming! Help! - LadyCleriseaux - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 09:29 AM)Vyce Wrote: I'm not sure where you got your facts from in Japanese.

Beautiful - 美しい "utsukushii"
The kanji used here is "utsuku" in the context of beauty. Kanji is rooted in Chinese, so it may be pronounced "mi" or something similar there.

To Congratulate (dictionary form) - 祝う "iwau". Kanji is "iwa".
Congratulations - おめでとうございます "omedetougozaimasu"

Water - æ°´ "mizu"

Tree - 木 "ki" (can also be translated as "wood")

Moon - 月 "tsuki"

To Look (dictionary form) - 見る "miru". Kanji is "mi".

Moon Viewing - 月見 "tsukimi". (This is a noun not a verb)
She is right in her Japanese actually.

USAGE: Japanese
OTHER SCRIPTS: 美月, 瑞希 (Japanese)
Meaning & History
From Japanese 美 (mi) "beautiful" and 月 (zuki) "moon". It can also come from 瑞 (mizu) "congratulations" and 希 (ki) "hope".