Hydaelyn Role-Players
Questions about Raen and Religion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Questions about Raen and Religion (/showthread.php?tid=14118)

Questions about Raen and Religion - Ozma - 11-02-2015

Maybe this has been discussed over a billion times and if it has I do apologize for putting it out there again. 

Just something I was thinking about for some time after reading through the wikia entries about Domans and Raen.  I'm under the impression that since a lot of the concepts behind Doma are very similar to the customs and tradition of Sengoku Era Japan, perhaps there's a link between the Japanese Shinto and the mentions of the two deities we see appearing on the character creation screen when we create our Au Ri. 

Their myth mentions the Dawn Father (Raen takes after this god) and the Dusk Mother (almost typed Duck Mother lol....oh and Xaela takes after this goddess ) so I was wondering if it's possible for them to have a religion that worship these figures much like their worship of Shinto deities. The way I see it there's close resemblance between these deities and the Shinto gods Izanagi and Izanami. 

I'll write more later. Starting work atm haha xD 

But what do you guys think? Am I onto something or am I just smoking some fine powdered Kupo Nuts? Tell me what you guys think.

RE: Questions about Raen and Religion - Vyce - 11-02-2015

I have a feeling these are two of the twelve known by other names.

The title of the Expansion is Heavensward. The Twelve are said to reside in a palace in the heavens according to the Moogles...perhaps we will learn more of them in the time to come.

RE: Questions about Raen and Religion - Mae - 11-02-2015

I'm feeling too lazy right now to go and pull the exact dialogue, but Doman religion is based on Shinto practices. Orobo talks about how their religion differs from Eorzean in that their multitude of gods live around them in aspects of nature.

As for the Au Ra, I think it's a bit more murky. They have the Dawn Father and Dusk Mother as their central figures, we know that much for certain. Because of how close the Domans and Raen seem to be, I RP under the assumption that (some) Raen villages have religions that contain aspects of the Shinto-like practices alongside their worship of the parental deities, while others may only focus on the parental deities. Xaela.... there's just so much diversity in their ranks that beyond acknowledgement of the parental deities there could really be anything else mixed in. From the description of some of the tribes, I wouldn't be surprised in there wasn't some mixing of things like shamanism, ancestral worship, and the like.

RE: Questions about Raen and Religion - Ozma - 11-02-2015

(11-02-2015, 06:01 PM)Mae Wrote: I'm feeling too lazy right now to go and pull the exact dialogue, but Doman religion is based on Shinto practices. Orobo talks about how their religion differs from Eorzean in that their multitude of gods live around them in aspects of nature.

As for the Au Ra, I think it's a bit more murky. They have the Dawn Father and Dusk Mother as their central figures, we know that much for certain. Because of how close the Domans and Raen seem to be, I RP under the assumption that (some) Raen villages have religions that contain aspects of the Shinto-like practices alongside their worship of the parental deities, while others may only focus on the parental deities. Xaela.... there's just so much diversity in their ranks that beyond acknowledgement of the parental deities there could really be anything else mixed in. From the description of some of the tribes, I wouldn't be surprised in there wasn't some mixing of things like shamanism, ancestral worship, and the like.

Yes I thought I was imagining it but I vaguely do remember Oboro mentioning that in the ninja quest chains. 

I came to the conclusion that since Domans closely resemble the Sengoku Japan that the religion they would have there would closely resemble Shinto. There's of course margin for error to believe that the two deities they mention here (Dawn/Dusk Father/Mother) is part of the 12 that's revered in Eorzea just under a different name. Regardless I wonder if it would mean much if they go by different names in different region/myths. 

It could just be a case of two different civilizations believing the same gods under different names much like the Greeks or Romans. But at the same time I think there's possibility that it could just be a completely different religion altogether. 

As for the Xaelas, yeah I had the same impression too. Since the Xaela are nomadic tribes closely resembling the mongols I believe their religion might have much variety and some might not even worship the Dusk Mother at all. I too think it's within reason to believe they might practice idol worship and ancestral worship on top of shamanism. It's all very interesting, would love a chance to discuss all this ICly with a knowledgeable Xaela player in game haha.

RE: Questions about Raen and Religion - Sounsyy - 11-02-2015

Au Ra Naming Conventions Wrote:Auri creation myth tells of a Dawn Father and a Dusk Mother from whom all Au Ra are descended. The Raen believe their veins to run thick with the blood of the former─their brilliant white scales and iron wills serving as proof of this divine lineage.

Auri creation myth tells of a Dawn Father and a Dusk Mother from whom all Au Ra are descended. The Xaela believe their veins to run thick with the blood of the latter─their lustrous black scales and fiery wills serving as proof of this divine lineage.

Arguably, the use of the word "divine" could have a religious connotation. However, neither Raen nor Xaela tribal lore dictates any unified religious beliefs or preferences, so they could just as easily not worship the Dawn Father or Dusk Mother as deities.

I also don't think there's enough evidence to link these two figures to the Pantheon of the Twelve. We have a few dev references and in game texts which suggest the Twelve are not worshiped outside Eorzea. That said, if the Dawn Father and Dusk Mother were figures of the Twelve, they would most likely be Oschon and Menphina, the divine lovers. But even that's kind of a stretch.

Fernehalwes Wrote:As for geographical distribution, worship of the Twelve is, for the most part, limited to Eorzea.

Oboro Wrote:My people do not worship your deities twelve. Our gods are all around us - in the trees, in the soil, in the crashing waters before you. Close your eyes and open your heart to the sound of the rushing falls, that you might purge your mind of all worldly thoughts and distractions.

We draw power from the world around us - the heaven, the earth, the hearts of man - and channel this power into physical form. I am told that this is similar to your concept of ay-ther, was it?

Show Content

Here's a few links to similar discussions on Far Eastern religion, Doman lore, and Eorzean religion. Hope these help! ^^
-Religion In Eorzea Masterpost
-Doman Religion (pretty much already summarized above)

RE: Questions about Raen and Religion - Ozma - 11-02-2015

As always I knew I can count on the lore expert to save the day. Thanks for the insight as always Sounsyy.

RE: Questions about Raen and Religion - Mae - 11-02-2015

(11-02-2015, 08:10 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: I also don't think there's enough evidence to link these two figures to the Pantheon of the Twelve. We have a few dev references and in game texts which suggest the Twelve are not worshiped outside Eorzea. That said, if the Dawn Father and Dusk Mother were figures of the Twelve, they would most likely be Oschon and Menphina, the divine lovers. But even that's kind of a stretch.
 I agree, it would be a stretch. The concepts of Dawn Father/Dusk Mother (taking it as religious for the sake of the current argument) is more of direct opposites: dawn and dusk, male and female, father and mother, white and black. Whereas with the Twelve, there's much more complex, indirect, and intertwined relationships: consort and parent and sibling, companion and rival, the elemental wheel, the months of the year...