Hydaelyn Role-Players
Greetings RPC - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Greetings RPC (/showthread.php?tid=14083)

Greetings RPC - Valence - 10-30-2015

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new on FFXIV. I am a - somewhat relatively - experienced RPer with more than a decade of various tabletops and MMOs behind (8 years of Eve, among others, hello Inspiracy folks if there are any here), and it's definitely RP that I enjoy the most in MMO, even though i'm certainly not closed to all the content they can offer.

I guess I am pretty much immersionist in my approach - which doesn't prevent me to share OOC channels with others RPers, quite the contrary. From experience I usually have the tendency to get more involved in things than I usually foresaw... Maybe i'm just very dedicated, we will see!

I have migrated recently on Balmung after 2 weeks in the game, and i'm currently trying to get in touch with the community, also looking at linkshells and FCs..

Of course, I am not as active as I was before - a job to tend to, etc. Speaking of RL, I play on the EU TZ, and I heard that the community is active enough that you don't really have dead times, which is a big plus?

I have also noticed very alarming latencies at intervals on Balmung compared to where I started (Hyperion). Connection is often labeled as "poor" when I connect, and I am not sure what to think of that... I only played 2 evenings on Balmung for now, and i'm a bit annoyed at that. I already faced a few instances on Hyperion where the lag was so terrible that I was barely able to do one action out of two properly... Rather crippling since I play heal.

Is it normal, or just tied to my being in Europe? 

In any case, really glad to meet you all and looking forward to it, just the time to get accustomed a bit to everything!

RE: Greetings RPC - Oli! - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 04:37 PM)Valence Wrote: Of course, I am not as active as I was before - a job to tend to, etc. Speaking of RL, I play on the EU TZ, and I heard that the community is active enough that you don't really have dead times, which is a big plus?

It can get pretty dead for a few hours at like 5-6 in the morning EST, but other than that, it's usually fine.

Quote:I have also noticed very alarming latencies at intervals on Balmung compared to where I started (Hyperion). Connection is often labeled as "poor" when I connect, and I am not sure what to think of that... I only played 2 evenings on Balmung for now, and i'm a bit annoyed at that. I already faced a few instances on Hyperion where the lag was so terrible that I was barely able to do one action out of two properly... Rather crippling since I play heal.

Is it normal, or just tied to my being in Europe? 

Kind-of both. Squeenix doesn't have very good servers it seems, and on top of that Balmung is severely overloaded. Things like mass-lag and shared disconnects are becoming frequent as of late. Though I would also chalk at least some of it up as being due to distance.

Either-way, welcome!

RE: Greetings RPC - Sana - 10-30-2015

Welcome, and sorry to hear about your lag issues.  I haven't experienced anything lag-wise yet, but it hasn't been long for me now.

RE: Greetings RPC - Zar'ine Moks - 10-30-2015

First of all, welcome!

Second, Balmung is a amazingly active RP server, but with that being said, the server is very full which can cause lag and being from Europe on this server does not help what that so yes, I would expect some lag issues sadly. 

But I hope it does not ruin all the fun and you have a good time here! It's a amazing community.

RE: Greetings RPC - ɴᴘᴄ - 10-30-2015

Hey, dood! Semi-offical welcome and all that, glad you made it to Balmung and RPC.

I typically get home from work around 0030 your time on weeknights, but next opportunity I will send some friend requests your way.

RE: Greetings RPC - Swygynwyzn - 10-30-2015

Welcome to the rpc

RE: Greetings RPC - Valence - 11-01-2015

Thank you all for the answers!

RE: Greetings RPC - Khunbish Avagnar - 11-01-2015

Greetings and welcome! Best of luck too with the RP, sometimes it can be a bit difficult to start out but eventually it'll take off like a phantom train that's been suplexed off the tracks!