Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. (/showthread.php?tid=14075)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Kattoki - 10-30-2015

YI would play lalafell a lot more if I was taken seriously as a lalafell. Just because a lalafell is short and childlike does not automatically mean they are all children.
Does anyone else feel this way?

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Ozma - 10-30-2015

I never seen Lalafell children in game before. So far I think I've seen younger models of all races but lalafells.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-30-2015

There have been plenty of Lalafell that Franz has taken seriously and treated as the adults they are.

In complete honestly, there's maybe one he'd baby a little, but that's because the character identifies as under 20 cycles.

Showing maturity as a Lalafell does require actually typing it out, however. Due to their childish looks, I wouldn't find it uncommon for them to have to make it more obvious than the other races.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - PhantasticPanda - 10-30-2015

I had a problem about not being taken seriously, or that I shouldn't be participate in certain themes of rp when I initially started out at FF14 launch. Even my own friends I was rping with at the time had trouble takin b them seeiously. I decided to take a break since 2.1 and came back for the expansion. And I would say, I still meet some individuals that still think as such but I've also finally met people that do take him seriously now, especially when my main is a lalafell. It would depend on the crowd you end up joining along. Now I find him wanted for his skill set and heck, has even found some love outside of his own race.

What I'll just say is. If you want to play a lalafell. Then play kne. There are plenty of people out there that see them as normal people, as they should be regarded as in Eorzea. If someone trolls you or bashes you rping a lalafell then just go ahead and move on till you find the rp people worth rping with.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Sinjo - 10-30-2015

IMHO, It's like the Elin and Popori in Tera. In RP they're pretty much a joke. Most people figure those playing  the elin are either Pedobait or a creepy dude. and the Popori are fat, silly animal people.

They're the 'odd' race out in FF14. Just about every MMO has one.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Oli! - 10-30-2015

Just play them seriously and people will take you seriously.

Whenever someone treats Oliwat as a kid, he yells at them and reveals that he's a 42 year old man, and that he'll shoot an ice shard through their knees if they don't stop being rude.

It gets awkward real fast.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Berrod Armstrong - 10-30-2015

If someone wants me to take their character seriously, they need to write them in a manner that'll prompt me to do so. I've come across so many obnoxiously childish (and sometimes mega creepy) Lalafell characters that it takes a bit more for them to earn the benefit of the doubt. It's a case by case thing, really.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Kattoki - 10-30-2015

Its not really that I am playing an underage Lalafell, my lalafell is 27 years old. She doesnt really use the look to her advantage she just isn't taken seriously for being a Lalafell, where as if I was to play a Miqo'te they instantly get stereotyped into being horny cats always on heat.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Kellach Woods - 10-30-2015

Welcome to FFXIV, where people roleplay the stereotype so often that they ruin it for everyone else!

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Coda - 10-30-2015

I've been RP'ing here about a week, and have yet to see a single Lalafell RPer at all, much less a serious one. I'll echo Berrod in that its a case by case thing. I'm sure a serious RPer will get serious RP no matter what race they picked.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Warren Castille - 10-30-2015

To continue painting the stereotypes: Lalafell seem to fall into one of two categories at a glance. There's the cutesy-wutesy silly child type, and then there's the way-overcompensating-for-the-others grimdark past I've-seen-some-shit lalafells living on the edge that have never smiled or laughed ever in their lives.

I've met lalafell roleplayers all across the board, though. If you're not being taken seriously, consider the issue is with the crowd and not your material. Maybe. I don't know.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Riik - 10-30-2015

I think the trouble with lalafell is (going by SE's use of the models for NPCs) that from the viewpoint of other races, they reach maturity quickly and from there age subtly (outside of hair colour and facial hair).

I personally play a younger lalafell, so I've never really been too bothered with treatment from other players (and I apologise deeply for any adult lalafell for 'feeding' the stereotype with my character's background). That said, I always tend to emote my character's apparent age (and general appearance, except that which can be seen in the character model itself) at the start of an RP. If anything, my character is often treated as older than he actually is, but really mistakes over a lalafell's age are something that seem understandable.

What needs to be remembered though is that unless they're Ishgardian (and perhaps Doman? I don't recall any Doman lalafell), most characters should be used to seeing lalafell doing what any other adult of any other race would do. So in theory they should really be giving the lalafell the benefit of the doubt and treating them like they're most likely an adult, unless something in an emote or in conversation proves otherwise. I think really, it's a case of real-life views (that lalafell look like adorable children) diluting the RPers use of lore.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Kattoki - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 07:54 AM)Secks Wrote: I've been RP'ing here about a week, and have yet to see a single Lalafell RPer at all, much less a serious one. I'll echo Berrod in that its a case by case thing. I'm sure a serious RPer will get serious RP no matter what race they picked.
I think this is what turns people off lalafell is the stereotype of Popotos and such. I feel a lot of lalafell players arnt taken seriously and dont rp at all and so as a rper of another race you dont see many.

A shining example of Lalafell done right would be Gus Pumpkinweed.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Berrod Armstrong - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 08:32 AM)Kattoki Wrote:
(10-30-2015, 07:54 AM)Secks Wrote: I've been RP'ing here about a week, and have yet to see a single Lalafell RPer at all, much less a serious one. I'll echo Berrod in that its a case by case thing. I'm sure a serious RPer will get serious RP no matter what race they picked.
I think this is what turns people off lalafell is the stereotype of Popotos and such. I feel a lot of lalafell players arnt taken seriously and dont rp at all and so as a rper of another race you dont see many.

A shining example of Lalafell done right would be Gus Pumpkinweed.
But Berrod doesn't take Gus seriously at all. Not to say that the character isn't good, or isn't done right, I think he achieves what he sets out for. 

But if you're looking for Lalafells that you want to be taken SERIOUSLY then you may need another example. A character done right and a character that ought be taken seriously are two different things.

RE: Lalafell not taken seriously in RP. - Aldotsk - 10-30-2015

There are plenty of good Lalafell Roleplayers who do it right, besides Gus. I think Gus is good for his own event devotion and his own type of event etc.

Chachan has that young Lalafell backgrounds, and they both have their own good and bad in their roleplaying skills. 

Though I love to see a player deciding to do very old Lalafell like Papashan/Lolorito/Teledji since they are so hard to see. Everyone wants to play young adventurer.

>Young adventurer
*/lookself*

._.