Hydaelyn Role-Players
Do you RP your main class? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Do you RP your main class? (/showthread.php?tid=13946)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Do you RP your main class? - Valde - 10-20-2015

I've been struggling since I started playing FF14 to find a 'main' class I enjoy and can RP at the same time. While I'm not going down the winding discussion of jobs and soulstones in RP, I'm a player that likes to connect his PvE with his RP. I find that enjoying the aesthetics and feel of a class and tying that into my character helps me create a better connection for that character's story as I write for them.

Am I alone in this, or is anyone else out there as ardent about that connection as I am? It's so much that when I started playing the game and wrote Isaelt as a BLM ICly, I ended up tweaking that because I simply could not stand the BLM playstyle.

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Berrod Armstrong - 10-20-2015

I do! 

In fact, I chose my main class based on what I wanted to RP lol.

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Sylentmana - 10-20-2015

My character Cecilia is a mage, but I'm easily bored so I had her learn all magic classes. Because of this, I don't RP her as any one class though she focuses mostly on the Arcanist class.

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-20-2015

I......sometimes do!

But I don't really have a main class. I cycle between ACN and MRD for most stuff (and my glamour gearsets prove it!)

Do I RP as my main-ish classes? Sometimes. An educated mercenary could very possibly know how to throw in some arcanima and wield an axe. Nothing too strange about that. I've RPed out scenes where Franz has studied stuff in a library and others where he's swung his axe around.

But there's also a lot of RP that just sorta happens. It's not his character to go become a proper WAR though. IC SCH? It could happen. There's been this want to have an IC Nymian Ruins Exploration Day! So it's possible that Franz could get lucky and find a faded/old soulstone or some well-preserved writings.

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Garalona - 10-20-2015

I do! Garalona is a healer and her curmudgeonly attitude about it reflect what years of playing a healer in MMOs have done to me. IC she prefers old fashioned bandages and stitches over magic, though.

RE: Do you RP your main class? - SessionZero - 10-20-2015

I play a Warrior but don't RP my main character as a Warrior. He's just a lizard man who uses an axe. Then again I also don't really RP that much anymore, so take that as you will.

My other toon that is solely for RP is a Dragoon ICly and OOCly. It depends on the class and what I want to RP but generally speaking my approach to MMOs is PvE first, RP second, and I always tank, so my RP toons tend to be big hulking meatheads with an axe or a Saber replica with a sword and board. I RP what I want to play OOCly, not the other way around.

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Ashe - 10-20-2015

Not really...?
Kinda yes and no.
But not really...
I main BLM but Ashe is more of a ninja/rogue at this point >.<

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Edgar - 10-20-2015

Aradial's my only exception to this rule, to be honest.

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Sig - 10-20-2015

(10-20-2015, 01:44 PM)Isaelt Haragin Wrote: I've been struggling since I started playing FF14 to find a 'main' class I enjoy and can RP at the same time. While I'm not going down the winding discussion of jobs and soulstones in RP, I'm a player that likes to connect his PvE with his RP. I find that enjoying the aesthetics and feel of a class and tying that into my character helps me create a better connection for that character's story as I write for them.

Am I alone in this, or is anyone else out there as ardent about that connection as I am? It's so much that when I started playing the game and wrote Isaelt as a BLM ICly, I ended up tweaking that because I simply could not stand the BLM playstyle.

I'm not very fond on tying my characters' IC abilities and background to specific in-game classes.  Strict adherence to IC classes and PVE gear is too conceptually restricting and requires obscene amounts of PvE time for certain characters.  

However, I try to harmonize the class and equipment of a character as closely to what I desire to portray in RP without spending huge amounts of time leveling every associated class.  Sigurd, for example, utilizes some DK-esque aether powers and a greatsword as a secondary weapon.   I tend to set his class to DK while RPing because most of the outfits and equipment are very consistent with his IC aesthetics. However, he has several skills that are not depicted by the dark knight class. His primary weapon is a single knife, but RPing him as a ninja would be inconsistent with his primary character traits. Similarly, he is a vintner by trade, but I have no aspirations of spending a ton of time leveling a culinarian. 

It is plausible and reasonable for characters to possess certain IC skills and abilities that do not directly relate to PVE content or classes (but have support in lore).  The only thing I attempt to avoid outright is blatant violation of well-settled lore, or RPing a character of an entirely different PVE archtype ( i.e. - do not RP as a mage while the in-game class is a warrior, etc.).

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Solenne - 10-20-2015

I usually like my characters' main OOC classes to be connected to their IC classes in some way. For instance, Yisu is a BLM OOCly and a shaman/thaumaturge ICly, while Michaux is currently an ARC OOCly and an archer/lorekeeper/minstrel ICly. However, since Solenne is the second incarnation of a character that used to be a hand-to-hand combat type, her highest level class is NIN even though ICly she's a conjurer. So now I'm frantically leveling CNJ/WHM to catch up and get the pretty high level WHM armors for her. (Because it's all about the clothes, after all.)

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Valde - 10-20-2015

(10-20-2015, 01:57 PM)SessionZero Wrote: I play a Warrior but don't RP my main character as a Warrior. He's just a lizard man who uses an axe. Then again I also don't really RP that much anymore, so take that as you will.

My other toon that is solely for RP is a Dragoon ICly and OOCly. It depends on the class and what I want to RP but generally speaking my approach to MMOs is PvE first, RP second, and I always tank, so my RP toons tend to be big hulking meatheads with an axe or a Saber replica with a sword and board. I RP what I want to play OOCly, not the other way around.

I tend to be the same. I started MMOs as a minmaxer and eventually began to RP as a creative outlet and to help add longevity to games I enjoyed. However this translates into me playing classes where 'efficient' meets 'fun' and sometimes that class conflicts with the original idea for a character.

I was curious if I was weird for altering the RP around my character to suit what I enjoy in PvE rather than simply just sorta.. going with it. Perhaps it's more applicable in FF14 because of the glamouring system too and getting appropriate looking gear for my character that's sensible to me/his RP.

RE: Do you RP your main class? - SessionZero - 10-20-2015

(10-20-2015, 02:06 PM)Isaelt Haragin Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 01:57 PM)SessionZero Wrote: I play a Warrior but don't RP my main character as a Warrior. He's just a lizard man who uses an axe. Then again I also don't really RP that much anymore, so take that as you will.

I tend to be the same. I started MMOs as a minmaxer and eventually began to RP as a creative outlet and to help add longevity to games I enjoyed. However this translates into me playing classes where 'efficient' meets 'fun' and sometimes that class conflicts with the original idea for a character.

I was curious if I was weird for altering the RP around my character to suit what I enjoy in PvE rather than simply just sorta.. going with it. Perhaps it's more applicable in FF14 because of the glamouring system too and getting appropriate looking gear for my character that's sensible to me/his RP.

According to the responses in this thread, yes, we are the weird ones. But at least we can be weirdos together.

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Cato - 10-20-2015

No, not really - my character isn't a Paladin. He can't manipulate aether very well due to being a half-breed with Garlean blood in his veins and so he's pretty much just a guy who happens to fight in heavy armour whilst wielding a sword and shield.

RE: Do you RP your main class? - Virella - 10-20-2015

To a degree, Ave has monk at 60, and she is one. Vi's has her AST at 60 as well, but that said I levelled my classes for roleplaying purposes, not for raiding, else I'd still be a SCH/SMN Smile (Stopped raiding with HW)

RE: Do you RP your main class? - mongi291 - 10-20-2015

Isaulde is a Dark Knight.
So yeah.