Hydaelyn Role-Players
Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop (/showthread.php?tid=13462)

Pages: 1 2

Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - Sylentmana - 09-18-2015

So I'm in the market for a good gaming laptop, but this is largely uncharted territory for me as I've always been a console person. I try to do research on the topic, but every website has a different computer recommended as the best one and you never know which site is being paid to recommend a certain computer. Besides, I don't really understand all the tech lingo.

Here is what I'm looking for: can play most games on the highest setting with little to no trouble, fairly large screen (I assume HD is standard for most PCs now), a hard drive that won't crap out on me after 6 months like my last computer, strong wireless capabilities, and good memory.

There is probably more that I need, but I can't think of it right now. As for the price, I'm willing to go up to $3500.00 so long as I can pay in monthly installments. So what would you guys recommend?

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - SessionZero - 09-18-2015

I've always been a big fan of ASUS stuff, as are a lot of my IT peers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232602

That's going to do everything you want and cost you a fraction of your budget.

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - Vyce - 09-18-2015

You want to know the honest truth? You don't need a dedicated gaming laptop. They are wildly expensive and are not necessary unless you really feel like splurging.

I play FF14, GW2, and Wildstar all on maximum graphics settings on my 17.3" HP. I am not technobabble literate, but from what I know, its Windows 10 (I bought it at the beginning of 8) has dual graphics AMD cores, and like a terabyte of space. It cost me around $750. It's a mid-grade graphic design laptop that I bought when I thought I would teach myself to draw barazoku on tablet rather than paper. Which was a pipe dream.

A dedicated gaming laptop will cost you around $2000 if you go for the be all end all (alienware derp)

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-18-2015

How important to you are the following?
  • Size
  • Screen resolution 
  • Battery life
  • Heat output
  • Expansion
You might like the Razerblade, but it comes at a hefty price and isn't very upgradable. It can also run quite warm, but if you plan to use a controller with games, that isn't much an issue.  

Lenovo has some nice options, but they can be large and heavy. They do have decent support and offer some upgradability.

I'm also particular to Asus as a brand, but repairs through Asus can be like pulling out your fingernails. Their gaming laptops usually share a lot of parts between models though, so self-repair is very viable.

I should also comment that most of my gaming is done on either a glass table, which seems to keep it very cool

or my lap. Apparently having your laptop on your lap for hours and hours and hours can radiate your reproductive organs and cause sterility. It hasn't happened yet but meh, as long as I get digital gratification.
#gamerproblems

It does occasionally get hot, but I am a barbarian and I do not own a cooling pad nor care enough to get one.

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - Sylentmana - 09-18-2015

(09-18-2015, 10:44 AM)Vyce Wrote: You want to know the honest truth? You don't need a dedicated gaming laptop. They are wildly expensive and are not necessary unless you really feel like splurging.

I play FF14, GW2, and Wildstar all on maximum graphics settings on my 17.3" HP. I am not technobabble literate, but from what I know, its Windows 10 (I bought it at the beginning of 8) has dual graphics AMD cores, and like a terabyte of space. It cost me around $750. It's a mid-grade graphic design laptop that I bought when I thought I would teach myself to draw barazoku on tablet rather than paper. Which was a pipe dream.

A dedicated gaming laptop will cost you around $2000 if you go for the be all end all (alienware derp)

Ok, you have caused me to reassess what it is I plan to play. I guess I wouldn't need it to be soley used for gaming as I have consoles already that fill that role. What I'll likely use it for is mostly MMOs like the ones you listed as well as some games from Steam. I do want to be able to run these games on the highest settings and have it run smoothly.

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - SessionZero - 09-18-2015

(09-18-2015, 10:44 AM)Vyce Wrote: You want to know the honest truth? You don't need a dedicated gaming laptop. They are wildly expensive and are not necessary unless you really feel like splurging.

A valid point, but it is important to note that playing hardware-intensive games on laptops not built to withstand that sort of constant strain can be detrimental to the system as a whole in the long run. Gaming laptops are designed from the ground up to be able to deal with the strain of hardware-intensive games and still last as long as possible.

(09-18-2015, 10:52 AM)Sylentmana Wrote:

Ok, you have caused me to reassess what it is I plan to play. I guess I wouldn't need it to be soley used for gaming as I have consoles already that fill that role. What I'll likely use it for is mostly MMOs like the ones you listed as well as some games from Steam. I do want to be able to run these games on the highest settings and have it run smoothly.
MMOS tend to be much easier on your system as far as graphics go. I suppose the science behind that has to do with the fact that the servers need to be able to process for millions of people at once (but that's why culling exists). Newer RPGs may be a little more difficult. I recall my old laptop was fine with GW2 but could not handle the graphics of Mass Effect 3, nor could it handle cutscenes in Black Flag.

(disclaimer: I make no claims to understand how computers work)

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - Jonexe - 09-18-2015

I highly recommend Sager laptops. I have one and I doubt I'll ever buy from another company again.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

They use very high quality frames. It's a bit heavy, but any laptop with power in mind is going to be. The build quality is excellent. Dual heat exhaust fans piped out the back, instead of the side, so it won't bother you when using it for extended periods. Everything is custom built. When you get one it will come loaded with only the OS of your choice and the software/drivers necessary for the components. Absolutely no bloatware. They tend to come in about the same or cheaper as ASUS and other brands.

Their customer service is also outstanding. I placed my order online. About an hour later I got a phone call from a sales rep to confirm the order was what I needed. He asked me about my plans for it, how much I was willing to spend, etc. Then he showed me some ways I could go cheaper on some components to get other better ones while maintaining the same overall price. I got a personal phone call when it was shipped. I got another phone call when it was delivered; just to make sure everything was working right. Finally, about a week later I got a phone call to make sure nothing was going wrong and that I didn't need any help. All and all one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had.

Edit: I've had mine for going on two years now without any issues, if you're worried about reliability.

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - SicketySix - 09-18-2015

Agreed but to a certain extent. Much like everything else, research a product before you buy.

Better than buying a gaming pc and finding out the only thing it runs is minesweeper lol.

And yes. Some are really that bad.

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - Coatleque - 09-18-2015

(09-18-2015, 10:52 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: I do want to be able to run these games on the highest settings and have it run smoothly.

You will never achieve this on a laptop or tablet device, ever. The laws of physics are straight against you. If you want it to be powerful, it can never be small because energy means heat, and proper dissipation means size.

There is no such thing as a gaming laptop despite what advertisers may claim. There are laptops that can play games fairly well. They are not the same thing.

Look for a laptop that has either built-in AMD or nVidia graphics. Do not rely on Intel HD - that's only good for office use and blue-ray playback. And if you want to save money get an i5 over an i7 because no games use hyper-threading.

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - LiadansWhisper - 09-18-2015

Is there a reason you want a laptop instead of a desktop?

A desktop is going to net you so much more for your money and has the added benefit of being upgradeable over time.

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - Val - 09-18-2015

As most people have already said, to achieve what you want is going to be either vastly expensive or highly improbable considering the standards of laptops. Or if you get one, it's going to have massive overheating issues or break on you inside a few years. Trust me, it always happens.

I'd say either lower your expectations a bit or just get a desktop if you don't absolutely have to have one. At one point I thought I wanted a gaming laptop. Got the best I could at the time and within a couple of years it was already behind the times. A few years later, I got a desktop and it's still considered top of the line. I swore off laptop gaming and just use it as an accessory for when I leave the house and want to get online/do some RP stuff.

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - Aysun - 09-18-2015

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233078

My laptop.^ I'd recommend it to anyone. That said, the price has gone up a bit since I purchased it. It was a splurge for me. Gaming laptops may not be "necessary" but damn they are enjoyable.. I did not intend this to replace my desktop, but it has. I'm sure I'll go back and forth as this one begins to age in a few years, but til then, I'm enjoying it!

Runs XIV at highest setting smooth, though I play a little lowered just for performance. I love having a regular HDD and an SSD (Windows and XIV is on that so far).

Your budget is a lot higher than mine was, so I'd recommend exploring the gigabyte line of laptops on newegg.

RE: Need Help Finding a Gaming Laptop - Warren Castille - 09-18-2015

I have a "laptop" that plays games on the highest setting. Off-power it gets about 30 minutes of battery life, and it might as well be a desktop considering the size of it.

Laptops are convenient, but they're not really portable desktops yet. Consider just being able to run at high frames on moderate settings and you'll be okay!