Hydaelyn Role-Players
My First Character (A Work in Progress) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: My First Character (A Work in Progress) (/showthread.php?tid=13366)

Pages: 1 2

My First Character (A Work in Progress) - robblebobble - 09-11-2015

Hello everyone. I am very new to the forum and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone! I am currently working on my first character and I was hoping to get a little feedback before I go too far. I am still learning the lore, so I will slowly add more detail to my character's background as I go. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or if what I'm doing is completely wrong. Thank you in advance!

Name: Rinh'li Lyehga
Clan: Keepers of the Moon

Rinh Lyehga lost her first two sons shortly after they were born due to a rare illness. Rinh’li, however, showed no signs of illness when born. When Rinh’li was very young, his father was killed in the Garlean Invasion. Rinh'li and his mother spent many years wandering from city to city as Rinh became progressively more ill. Rinh’li picked up odd jobs to help provide for his ailing mother, but eventually took to pick pocketing to survive.

Rinh'li was caught trying to pick pocket a Hyur sky pirate named Cidolfus Bunansa. Impressed by Rinh'li's pick pocketing skills, Cid allowed Rinh’li to go free and followed the boy back to his home where he found him caring for his mother, whose condition was progressively getting worse. Cid introduced himself to Rinh as Rinh'li's boss and took Rihn'li on as his apprentice, teaching him the skills he had picked up during his years as a sky pirate.

Cid began to regularly visit the home and, after many attempts to convince Rinh, he finally took her to visit a doctor. Rinh’s health improved with the help of medicine, but the doctor warned that her time was limited. Cid and Rinh eventually fell in love and settled down on a small farm outside of Gridania with Rinh’li. After many happy years, Rinh passed away.

Rinh’li, who dreamed of becoming a sky pirate and sailing the skies of Eorzea like Cid once had, packed his bags and bid farewell to his father, promising to write to him and to return home one day.

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - Warren Castille - 09-11-2015

Hm. I think all of that works out pretty well aside from one teensy inconvenient fact: While Eorzea has a lot of sky, and Limsa in particular has a lot of pirates, there's not really a thriving sky pirate community in the world.

Airships were, up until very recently, owned and used by the City-States. They're transport vessels primarily, and there's no real in-world lore to justify independent owners of them. It's true there's no lore to state that people did [b]not[/i] have access to these, but airship travel in Eorzea is pretty much confined to the equivalent of airliners. There's not really a whole lot to pirate in the sky, not exactly. Not until Ishgard opened up and the City-States started permitting adventurers to work on their own airships, but that still requires you to be a part of a connected Free Company.

There's plenty of crime in Eorzea, but a criminal with his own airship wouldn't last long in a world where that would be a very, very exclusive club.

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - robblebobble - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 01:11 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Hm. I think all of that works out pretty well aside from one teensy inconvenient fact: While Eorzea has a lot of sky, and Limsa in particular has a lot of pirates, there's not really a thriving sky pirate community in the world.

Airships were, up until very recently, owned and used by the City-States. They're transport vessels primarily, and there's no real in-world lore to justify independent owners of them. It's true there's no lore to state that people did not have access to these, but airship travel in Eorzea is pretty much confined to the equivalent of airliners. There's not really a whole lot to pirate in the sky, not exactly. Not until Ishgard opened up and the City-States started permitting adventurers to work on their own airships, but that still requires you to be a part of a connected Free Company.

There's plenty of crime in Eorzea, but a criminal with his own airship wouldn't last long in a world where that would be a very, very exclusive club.
That's good to know. I will probably drop the sky pirate idea in that case. I appreciate this info! Perhaps I should do more research before I continue developing the character.

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - robblebobble - 09-11-2015

I have also read that the idea of a Miqo'te being raised by a Hyur is becoming cliché. Is this true?

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - Warren Castille - 09-11-2015

No harm no foul. It's not like you could have known prior. If you wanted to establish just a shady-but-well-to-do background, the Rogue's Guild in Limsa Lominsa is basically... Well, they're a legit establishment of Robin Hoods.

Show Content

It wouldn't impact your background much at all if they simply got taken in by one of the Rogues. You can access the quest My First Daggers once you unlock the armory system and reach level 10. Then it's just a visit to Limsa Lominsa and you're all set to start with the sneakysneaky.

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - Virella - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 01:23 PM)Ren Wrote: I have also read that the idea of a Miqo'te being raised by a Hyur is becoming cliché. Is this true?
People do it all the time, x being raised by another race. In truth, I think at this point people see it more as uninspired, seeming so many go for it, but going as far as saying it is cliché? I'm not sure. Personally I find it being used as an easy way out to roleplay a race with a background what normally doesn't make sense for them, what at that point I would go to myself "Why don't I just roll x race and make the story more fitting without having go look for all sorts of workaround?"

But it can make for a good background story nevertheless. It's your character at the end of the day. I know a race simply sometimes doesn't look pleasing in the eyes of the player and prefer to roll another Smile

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - Jana - 09-11-2015

"Miqo'te being raised by Hyur" largely came about because RP characters were being made before official lore on naming conventions did (if I remember correctly, there weren't any official naming conventions until around 2.0 so every 1.0 character didn't benefit from them). There was also a long time between when lore conventions came out and the ability to purchase a name change came out. Then there's the fact that some people just don't want to/aren't able to afford one.

"Airship Pirates" may not be something you wanted to do anymore but I'll toss in one more tidbit: The reason only Grand Companies had airships before was that Garleans would shoot them down on a regular basis during the 2.0 storyline. After Operation Archon, there aren't that many active AA guns or whatever they use (mortars like in Castrum Meridianum? those are ground attack...) so Free Companies have started getting them. It's a very recent thing though.

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - robblebobble - 09-13-2015

Thank you everyone for the info! I've completely scrapped this idea and started from scratch. I'll share again sometime after I do some more research about the lore.

That being said, I was just wondering if Bunansa could pass as a Miqo'te last name or if I should consider renaming the character. What do you think?

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - Warren Castille - 09-13-2015

You can dig into miqo'te naming conventions at this link here. You don't have to scrap the entire concept! I'm personally wary of using any legacy-style FF names, though. Anyone walking around with "Strife" or "Lionheart" or "Highwind" or the like is going to get looked at strangely.

I've made a few changes to my character's story. This is what I'm thinking now. :3

Rinh'li Lheyga was born to the Keepers of the Moon in Ala Mhigo. His father and two older brothers were killed during the Garlean invasion when he was very young. As a result, Rinh'li has very few memories of his homeland, family, or his tribe. He and his mother, Rinh, survived the invasion, and migrated to Gridania. Rinh had been stricken with illness since Rinh'li's birth, but was always very positive despite her declining health.

Rinh opened a noodle in Gridania where Rinh'li spent his childhood working in their garden, preparing noodles for customers, and caring for his ailing mother. He often daydreamed of adventuring across Eorzea and riding on the airships that sailed through the skies overhead. Rinh passed away during Rinh'li's teenage years, prompting Rinh'li to sell the shop to pay for her burial and pack his bags. Rinh'li has spent the past several years journeying from city to city, taking on odd jobs and pick pocketing to get by.

Woops. Double post. :o

Yay! I finally transferred to Balmung!

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - robblebobble - 09-21-2015

Hello again everyone! I am working on adding more details to my character's history. I was wondering what everyone thought of the idea of experimenting with Aether for the purpose of causing a sickness/disease. I would like Rinh's sickness to be the result of secret Aether experiments by the Garlean Empire if that is viable.

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - Sounsyy - 09-21-2015

(09-21-2015, 10:39 AM)robblebobble Wrote: Hello again everyone! I am working on adding more details to my character's history. I was wondering what everyone thought of the idea of experimenting with Aether for the purpose of causing a sickness/disease. I would like Rinh's sickness to be the result of secret Aether experiments by the Garlean Empire if that is viable.

Saw you were a bit unsure on making your Keeper so I wanted to point you to this recent thread on Keeper Lore. Hope it helps!

On the topic of aether experimentation, go wild! People have been experimenting with aether for ages and I see no reason why the Garleans wouldn't perform Allagan-esque experiments on subjected citizens if given the opportunity? Just remember that native Garleans are genetically unable to manipulate aether on their own. ^^

RE: My First Character (A Work in Progress) - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-22-2015

(09-21-2015, 10:39 AM)robblebobble Wrote: Hello again everyone! I am working on adding more details to my character's history. I was wondering what everyone thought of the idea of experimenting with Aether for the purpose of causing a sickness/disease. I would like Rinh's sickness to be the result of secret Aether experiments by the Garlean Empire if that is viable.

Garlean who went through horrible aether experiments here! ...it's fun RP. (The one responsible for the actual aetherial manipulation wasn't Garlean by birth. She just happened to work on Garleans at the time). With how varied Allagan tech is, there's a lot of room for interpretation and speculation. My method is to find something similar in game, then bend it a little to do something plausible.