Hydaelyn Role-Players
Considering coming to Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Considering coming to Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=13337)

Considering coming to Balmung - Hithren - 09-09-2015

Hello all!

Wanted to post here to...fish, I suppose, aha. A friend and I recently found out that Balmung is the RP server for NA and we were considering transferring over. But before we dropped the price for it I guess I wanted to get some information. Is the RP still pretty active? (I mean judging from this site alone, it definitely looks it). How's queue times and such? We're coming from Famfrit, which like Balmung always seems to be closed for new characters, but the wait times are still horrendous.

We'd also be looking for a FC home once we got there. Personally, I'm a bit more of a gamer than she is (this is actually her first mmo). So I'm interested in content just as much as I am RP. Hoping there's an FC out that caters to the new babies as much as more advanced players.

All info and advice is much appreciated in advance!

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - Virella - 09-09-2015

Most active server as far as I'm aware, I transfered my main here a few months ago as well, no regrets whatsoever! If you are a roleplayer, it is certainly worth the cash.

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - Saravahn - 09-09-2015

Certainly very much active on Balmung.

As to the FC bit, I would suggest looking at the Linkshell link at the top of the page. In there is a list of Free Companies (and linkshells) that frequent this site. Several offer both RP and PvE/PvP.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15 

Also, a shameless plug for my own company, Arbiters of Eorzea, which is one of said companies that offers both RP and PvE (PvP is encouraged, but certainly not a focus of ours). You can find out more both in the linkshells section of this site, or by going to our company site at aoexiv.enjin.com . We make a large effort to be welcoming to all "skill levels" in both RP and PvE, so long as the members are willing to learn and give it their best effort.

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - McBeefâ„¢ - 09-09-2015

Do it! It's great!

I'll buy you a boiled egg.

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - Ignacius - 09-09-2015

Balmung's probably the most populated, followed closely by Gilgamesh.  Either or, you'll be fine.  The communities are a lot different in organization and tone, though.

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - TheBlob - 09-09-2015

I don't think queue times are that awful, honestly. Even as a DPS, I don't think I've had to wait more than 30 minutes tops during "off peak" times. There are some exceptions like the castrum runs or any of the crystal towers mostly because the pools of players queuing is smaller for those.

If you decide to hop over, welcome to Balmung! I'm certain you'll find it to be a worth while decision!

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - Maril - 09-09-2015

The only times there's proper queues and major disturbances on the servers would be at the launch of expansions and such. In the day-to-day, on Balmung, you might sit in queue for a couple of minutes but even that seems rare-ish. Personally I always use the cancel and try again trick, which makes the queue disappear sometimes.

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - Hithren - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 01:10 PM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote: Do it! It's great!

I'll buy you a boiled egg.
An egg!? Whelp I'm sold.

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - Sig - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 12:57 PM)Kas Wrote: Hello all!

Wanted to post here to...fish, I suppose, aha. A friend and I recently found out that Balmung is the RP server for NA and we were considering transferring over. But before we dropped the price for it I guess I wanted to get some information.

Is the RP still pretty active? (I mean judging from this site alone, it definitely looks it). How's queue times and such? We're coming from Famfrit, which like Balmung always seems to be closed for new characters, but the wait times are still horrendous.
  • The RP is extremely active and is usually very high quality.  I can safely say that the RP I've had on Balmung has been more entertaining and fulfilling than any other RP I've experienced in other MMORPGs.  The quality is impeccable.   
We'd also be looking for a FC home once we got there. Personally, I'm a bit more of a gamer than she is (this is actually her first mmo). So I'm interested in content just as much as I am RP. Hoping there's an FC out that caters to the new babies as much as more advanced players.
  • For potential FCs, check out the linkshell subforum (linked above).  Feel free to browse Ebonbrand Teknoworks' post and inquire with any questions.  We're primarily RP-focused. 
All info and advice is much appreciated in advance!

See above comments in red. 

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - Kage - 09-09-2015

Balmung is on the Aether Data Center so you may or may not have different queue times depending what you queue as, what you queue for, and when you queue. What time zone are you in and will play usually?

Balmung is wonderful in the fact that most of the FCs are generally ambivalent towards RP even if they focus on PVE. I think of... top 10 or top 20 FCs in terms of rank, size and activity I've only heard of one FC that had a more hostile tone towards RP where in a person I RP'd with did not want their FC to find out for fear of their reaction. There are also a few RP FCs, you won't find nearly half of them in our listing. A few groups tend to stay on tumblr or do not even know of the site.

I joined my most recent FC because I love who are in it, enjoy the occasional yet very fleeting moments I RP with them or play the game with them. (It's hard as an NA player and most are EU XD) However I get a bulk of my RP plots with people who are in a myriad of different FCs or no linkshell at all. A lot of our public events advertised here get a decent amount of attendance.

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - Rusty Knight - 09-09-2015

As someone who recently took the plunge and moved their main character to Balmung I can say it was 100% worth it, initially it seems like a large cost just to play your character but the 24/7 access to roleplay has justified the costs already.

The only downside for me is I lag like hell during dungeons/raids (I'm from the EU thought but this is by far the only downside I've found so far)

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - Virella - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 01:58 PM)Alueaux Dunant Wrote: As someone who recently took the plunge and moved their main character to Balmung I can say it was 100% worth it, initially it seems like a large cost just to play your character but the 24/7 access to roleplay has justified the costs already.

The only downside for me is I lag like hell during dungeons/raids (I'm from the EU thought but this is by far the only downside I've found so far)
No that is just your shit UK peasant inet bro, because I'm fine over here Smile

Ilu

RE: Considering coming to Balmung - Roe Dad - 09-09-2015

Hopefully you make the switch. And welcome