Hydaelyn Role-Players
Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. (/showthread.php?tid=13323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Lydia Lightfoot - 10-10-2015

If she's still on another server at this point, then as soon as you transfer her, you're effectively wiping the slate clean anyway.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - mongi291 - 10-10-2015

(10-10-2015, 02:04 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: If she's still on another server at this point, then as soon as you transfer her, you're effectively wiping the slate clean anyway.
She's already on Balmung. I already started RPing with her.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Oli! - 10-10-2015

(10-10-2015, 03:09 AM)mongi291 Wrote:
(10-10-2015, 02:04 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: If she's still on another server at this point, then as soon as you transfer her, you're effectively wiping the slate clean anyway.

I would honestly just suggest retconning the character. It's not as bad as it sounds, and there are honestly more interesting, more open, and more lore-friendly approaches to the sort of themes you want to get at.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Lydia Lightfoot - 10-10-2015

(10-10-2015, 03:12 AM)Oli! Wrote:

I would honestly just suggest retconning the character. It's not as bad as it sounds, and there are honestly more interesting, more open, and more lore-friendly approaches to the sort of themes you want to get at.

I agree with Oli. Don't waste the $18 by deleting and remaking. She's such a new character that it will undoubtedly have little to no impact on anyone else's RP for you to retcon her (it's unlikely that anyone even knows she isn't an ordinary organic anyway, so in a sense, it's a your-mind-only retcon). 

That said, I'd also like to suggest an entirely different thought: Consider abandoning the idea altogether and coming up with an entirely new concept for the character. The reason I suggest that is because it feels to me like this whole thing falls into the category of "special because of what she is", which is very challenging to execute without coming across as superficial or snowflakey. I mean no offense to you personally with that statement - that's been a general observation of mine over years of roleplaying. 

The more "deep" approach is instead to consider making a character that's "special because of who she is". That's defined by behavior and actions and personality, all of which largely have nothing to do with what someone happens to be. In fact, often if the what is itself overly emphasized and special, the who ends up feeling less significant and memorable.

Case in point: A man sees a robber steal the purse of an old woman. He chases the robber and tackles him, wrestling him into a locked hold until the police arrive, and saving the old woman's purse - a purse which contained not only her money, but medicine that she needs to take every few hours or she could become hospitalized. The man is lauded for his courage and bravery, his selfless risk and potential sacrifice for the sake of another is the stuff of gossip and local reputation, and for months afterwards he's hailed in his favorite bar as a hero.

Or, if he was an invincible alien from the planet Krypton, people on the street said "Oh, hey Superman," and continued on with their day without any further thought about what he'd done, because his what is so special that the who becomes less memorable.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - mongi291 - 10-10-2015

(10-10-2015, 03:55 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote:
(10-10-2015, 03:12 AM)Oli! Wrote:

I agree with Oli. Don't waste the $18 by deleting and remaking. She's such a new character that it will undoubtedly have little to no impact on anyone else's RP for you to retcon her (it's unlikely that anyone even knows she isn't an ordinary organic anyway, so in a sense, it's a your-mind-only retcon). 

That said, I'd also like to suggest an entirely different thought: Consider abandoning the idea altogether and coming up with an entirely new concept for the character. The reason I suggest that is because it feels to me like this whole thing falls into the category of "special because of what she is", which is very challenging to execute without coming across as superficial or snowflakey. I mean no offense to you personally with that statement - that's been a general observation of mine over years of roleplaying. 

The more "deep" approach is instead to consider making a character that's "special because of who she is". That's defined by behavior and actions and personality, all of which largely have nothing to do with what someone happens to be. In fact, often if the what is itself overly emphasized and special, the who ends up feeling less significant and memorable.

Case in point: A man sees a robber steal the purse of an old woman. He chases the robber and tackles him, wrestling him into a locked hold until the police arrive, and saving the old woman's purse - a purse which contained not only her money, but medicine that she needs to take every few hours or she could become hospitalized. The man is lauded for his courage and bravery, his selfless risk and potential sacrifice for the sake of another is the stuff of gossip and local reputation, and for months afterwards he's hailed in his favorite bar as a hero.

Or, if he was an invincible alien from the planet Krypton, people on the street said "Oh, hey Superman," and continued on with their day without any further thought about what he'd done, because his what is so special that the who becomes less memorable.
I am not a good enough RPer to let my character be defined by who she is instead than what she is. I just... can't do that. I never seem to pull that off, no matter where I'm RPing. I already struggle to give my characters a distinct personality.

(10-10-2015, 04:06 AM)mongi291 Wrote: I am not a good enough RPer to let my character be defined by who she is instead than what she is. I just... can't do that. I never seem to pull that off, no matter where I'm RPing. I already struggle to give my characters a distinct personality.

I bet you're more capable than you believe! :) 

The best thing I can say about how to achieve that is not to try. That's part of the problem of the what I am approach - it comes across as too deliberate. The "trying" on the part of the player becomes obvious, and that obviousness can cause some people to become wary. They might worry that the player is "up to something", if that makes sense. 

So instead of going out of your way to try to intentionally be special... just roleplay. Be a relatively ordinary sort of character from an ordinary sort of background, and let who she is become defined by what she does, the adventures she finds herself involved in, and the amusing situations she encounters with her friends. I bet you've done that a lot on Isaulde, haven't you? :D

(10-10-2015, 04:39 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote:
(10-10-2015, 04:06 AM)mongi291 Wrote: I am not a good enough RPer to let my character be defined by who she is instead than what she is. I just... can't do that. I never seem to pull that off, no matter where I'm RPing. I already struggle to give my characters a distinct personality.

I bet you're more capable than you believe! Smile 

The best thing I can say about how to achieve that is not to try. That's part of the problem of the what I am approach - it comes across as too deliberate. The "trying" on the part of the player becomes obvious, and that obviousness can cause some people to become wary. They might worry that the player is "up to something", if that makes sense. 

So instead of going out of your way to try to intentionally be special... just roleplay. Be a relatively ordinary sort of character from an ordinary sort of background, and let who she is become defined by what she does, the adventures she finds herself involved in, and the amusing situations she encounters with her friends. I bet you've done that a lot on Isaulde, haven't you? Big Grin
Well, Isaulde is a Dark Knight, with a semi-tragic past (toned down from the original idea, though). She is an outlaw, having killed lots of Temple Knights to the point that she's been (ICly) confronted about it and almost arrested by Ser Paulecrain of the Heavens' Ward. She doesn't really open herself to others because she doesn't want to hurt them, as her life is a struggle against not only her enemies but her darkside (and she almost ICly killed someone due to that).
I wouldn't call that a "normal character".

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Oli! - 10-10-2015

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Give it a go, you'll like RP more as a result.

(10-10-2015, 05:22 AM)Oli! Wrote:

I'd have to Fantasia + Name Change, but that'd cost me too much. And I'm too busy for a third character.

(10-10-2015, 05:30 AM)mongi291 Wrote:

I'd have to Fantasia + Name Change, but that'd cost me too much. And I'm too busy for a third character.

Keep the character and name. Just change their concept.

(10-10-2015, 05:37 AM)Oli! Wrote:
(10-10-2015, 05:30 AM)mongi291 Wrote:

Keep the character and name. Just change their concept.
She's called Enigmatic Girl ingame. She doesn't even have an actual name, how can I have her be a "normal" character?

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Hyakki - 10-10-2015

Make her enigmatic for another reason.

You've been given you plenty of suggestions on how to alter the character without completely abandoning the Allagan concept. Its up to you if you want to heed the advice or scrap her because it's too hard/time consuming/costly/whatever.

(10-10-2015, 07:04 AM)Mamushi Wrote: Make her enigmatic for another reason.

You've been given you plenty of suggestions on how to alter the character without completely abandoning the Allagan concept. Its up to you if you want to heed the advice or scrap her because it's too hard/time consuming/costly/whatever.
I think I'll change her from an android to a clone. At least I don't have to retcon her completely.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - SicketySix - 10-10-2015

I've retconned 3 times already. They wasn't involved in any deep RP and was pretty much just known by walkups only. Because of that, no harm no foul.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - mongi291 - 10-11-2015

In the end, I've decided to drop the idea entirely, and work on another character. Thanks for all the feedback, anyway.