Hydaelyn Role-Players
Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. (/showthread.php?tid=13323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - mongi291 - 10-09-2015

(10-09-2015, 05:55 AM)Teadrinker Wrote:
(10-09-2015, 02:14 AM)Edda Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 10:48 AM)Teadrinker Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 07:11 AM)kamikrazy Wrote: If you do do it, the trick would be to NOT do it. Don't talk about it, don't tell anyone, don't be obvious. Be extremely subtle, and perhaps reveal it through a planned character event instead of just talking about it casually. This applies for IC and OOC.

This kinda irks me. Especially with major lorebendy things. If my character gets to know someone then all of a sudden the scooby doo mask comes off and they are something totally weird...

I mean, how do you expect normal characters to react? Seriously. It's like being like "Hi, I'm an alien" except no one really gets the proper exposition to deal with that and then you expect them to show up at tavern night next Tuesday like you being an alien isn't a big deal.

Idk I think it's lame but to each thier own.
Underrated post.

I super agree with this. Playing hidden aspects of your characters and telling no one IC or OOC can be really great and add a healthy dose of surprise to roleplay, like the rich merchant eventually revealing he was a dashing con artist all along. But when it comes to... far-out concepts like androids or whatever, it can be a bit of a gamble. Not everyone is going to like it, or even accept it. Especially people who like to follow and respect the game's lore to a T - and there really is no hard evidence that the Allagans could make KOS-MOS tier androids, so...

I don't know. Something to be aware of. I know if I suddenly revealed to everyone I am involved with RP-wise that Edda is actually an intricate, heartless mannequin crafted by her father, I would seriously piss off more than a few people.

Moogle

Glad I'm not crazy. I recently had a scene play out where someone reveals their character is a black mage (in privacy with a trusted group) and my rather normal character has the reaction of "..You're a WHAT??"

Literally 10 minutes go by where I'm staring at my chatbox and everyone just ignores my post like my character is crazy for thinking that weird when I know damn well they know what's up with lore.

That's that's just a black mage. If someone mysteriously revealed that they were an Allagan Android I would seriously consider retconning you and would DEFINITELY retcon you if you couldn't even allow my character or others to express being flabbergasted with the situation.

My grand experience with these kinds of things is that everyone just wants to be special in some way but doesn't really want to do the necessary RP that comes along with being a power ranger and just be accepted for being a power ranger.

*drops 2 cents and /exits*
Well, I mean to reveal her true nature through a story arc, and it's meant to be shocking. My character herself will be shocked about it, I'm not gonna act like being an android is normal.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Teadrinker - 10-09-2015

(10-09-2015, 06:04 AM)mongi291 Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 10:48 AM)Teadrinker Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 07:11 AM)kamikrazy Wrote: If you do do it, the trick would be to NOT do it. Don't talk about it, don't tell anyone, don't be obvious. Be extremely subtle, and perhaps reveal it through a planned character event instead of just talking about it casually. This applies for IC and OOC.

This kinda irks me. Especially with major lorebendy things. If my character gets to know someone then all of a sudden the scooby doo mask comes off and they are something totally weird...

I mean, how do you expect normal characters to react? Seriously. It's like being like "Hi, I'm an alien" except no one really gets the proper exposition to deal with that and then you expect them to show up at tavern night next Tuesday like you being an alien isn't a big deal.

Underrated post.

I super agree with this. Playing hidden aspects of your characters and telling no one IC or OOC can be really great and add a healthy dose of surprise to roleplay, like the rich merchant eventually revealing he was a dashing con artist all along. But when it comes to... far-out concepts like androids or whatever, it can be a bit of a gamble. Not everyone is going to like it, or even accept it. Especially people who like to follow and respect the game's lore to a T - and there really is no hard evidence that the Allagans could make KOS-MOS tier androids, so...

I don't know. Something to be aware of. I know if I suddenly revealed to everyone I am involved with RP-wise that Edda is actually an intricate, heartless mannequin crafted by her father, I would seriously piss off more than a few people.

Moogle

Glad I'm not crazy. I recently had a scene play out where someone reveals their character is a black mage (in privacy with a trusted group) and my rather normal character has the reaction of "..You're a WHAT??"

Literally 10 minutes go by where I'm staring at my chatbox and everyone just ignores my post like my character is crazy for thinking that weird when I know damn well they know what's up with lore.

That's that's just a black mage. If someone mysteriously revealed that they were an Allagan Android I would seriously consider retconning you and would DEFINITELY retcon you if you couldn't even allow my character or others to express being flabbergasted with the situation.

My grand experience with these kinds of things is that everyone just wants to be special in some way but doesn't really want to do the necessary RP that comes along with being a power ranger and just be accepted for being a power ranger.

Well, I mean to reveal her true nature through a story arc, and it's meant to be shocking. My character herself will be shocked about it, I'm not gonna act like being an android is normal.

The issue is you know you are playing a character that stands a good chance to fly in the face of people's accepted understanding of the lore. You know that or you wouldn't be posting this.

If this was an idea you really wanted to do then you need to find an FC that is open to these kinds of things, put it on your app, and execute your plotline there with folk that -want- to be there.

Don't go make friends in the Quicksand and neglect to mention you're a massively lorebendy character and spring it on them. That's just a dick move.

Otherwise, find your like-minded group of people and knock yourself out.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - mongi291 - 10-09-2015

(10-09-2015, 06:09 AM)Teadrinker Wrote:
(10-09-2015, 06:04 AM)mongi291 Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 10:48 AM)Teadrinker Wrote: This kinda irks me. Especially with major lorebendy things. If my character gets to know someone then all of a sudden the scooby doo mask comes off and they are something totally weird...

Underrated post.

Moogle

The issue is you know you are playing a character that stands a good chance to fly in the face of people's accepted understanding of the lore. You know that or you wouldn't be posting this.

If this was an idea you really wanted to do then you need to find an FC that is open to these kinds of things, put it on your app, and execute your plotline there with folk that -want- to be there.

Don't go make friends in the Quicksand and neglect to mention you're a massively lorebendy character and spring it on them. That's just a dick move.

Otherwise, find your like-minded group of people and knock yourself out.
I know, I know. I have random RP in the Quicksand, but I give subtle hints, at most. But if I find someone who accepts her true identity, then I try to involve them when my character is investigating about her past.
To sum it up: to who doesn't accept her as an android, she's just a normal amnesiac girl.
To who accepts it, well, for now she's still normal, but there are a few suspicious things about her and her past.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Kage - 10-09-2015

RE: Allagan mannequin/android not being feasible because they haven't shown that technology , have I missed something? The mannequins in the game seem remarkably "convincing" to me and they're explicitly called mannequins as they are not "flesh-and-blood soldiers." For what we know they can abdroids, I don't know if Eorzeans really have a concept of what am android may be but we know the mannequins are not flesh and blood.

This thread has sorta gotten past that initial stage of "potential" character. It was brought back almost a month after its last post. The character was made already. The feedback we can give now is more fleshing (hehe) out of poosibilities for the character's histories and what the best way to roleplay that out. However as of this moment most if not all here are not yet part of the narrative. It's up to OP for those parts.

It's of my opinion that plots like this need a certain "circle" of roleplayers who will be receptive. A group of players who frequently roleplay together. I would say plotting basis but I know some people will shut that down fairly hard.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Oli! - 10-09-2015

(10-09-2015, 07:36 AM)Kage Wrote: RE: Allagan mannequin/android not being feasible because they haven't shown that technology , have I missed something? The mannequins in the game seem remarkably "convincing" to me and they're explicitly called mannequins as they are not "flesh-and-blood soldiers." For what we know they can abdroids, I don't know if Eorzeans really have a concept of what am android may be but we know the mannequins are not flesh and blood.

They don't even have faces, and they're likely mindless as well.

[Image: SIxpIjO.png]

Also, if the character is already made, Retcons are still possible. The OP asked for advice and thoughts, and we're giving them.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Chris Ganale - 10-09-2015

....Well, that escalated quickly.

In lieu of getting dragged into the silliness of he said/she said, whether or not people are going to get up in arms about the character, or fighting over if this character's a good idea, I will simply restate my earlier commentary that I 100% support this idea and am making a note that this character of yours, before or after it comes out what they are, would find an immediate friend in Chao Lingshen.

On the other hand, if you got near her before it came out, that might accidentally rapidly accelerate the Robot Reveal, by way of Chao's companion being able to detect other Allagan machines in the vicinity.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - -no longer matters- - 10-09-2015

(09-08-2015, 07:06 AM)LadyRochester Wrote: While the idea is extremely interesting, you must understand that the community may not accept it as a whole, due to the fact some people might consider it slightly Mary-Sueish (and before anyone says I'm lying: Please don't try to bullshit them. Some people DO avoid roleplaying with characters like this. Denying it doesn't help OP.)

I have no qualms with most character ideas, it's lore-bending, but not breaking. It's completely possible Allagans built humanoid robots. I personally only have a problem with people who are demi-gods ("I AM THE INCARNATION OF BAHAMUT AND I IDENTIFY AS GARUDA-KIN!!1!") 

So while I personally wouldn't mind rping with you (So long as you don't make your character overly OP or overbearing to other people's RP) Some people are more into the gritty-hyper-realitic rp and might avoid you for this. Take it was a warning.
I kind of agree with Sasha here 100%

Personally I don't think it's out of the realm of plausible, but just watch who you mention it around, and really only push it forward around a trusted group and you should be 110% fine. I know people that RP some ridiculous stuff, but only people close to them know about it. Everyone else just see's them as another person.

Just know who, and when to reveal it to.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - mongi291 - 10-10-2015

(10-09-2015, 06:06 PM)Oli! Wrote:
(10-09-2015, 07:36 AM)Kage Wrote: RE: Allagan mannequin/android not being feasible because they haven't shown that technology , have I missed something? The mannequins in the game seem remarkably "convincing" to me and they're explicitly called mannequins as they are not "flesh-and-blood soldiers." For what we know they can abdroids, I don't know if Eorzeans really have a concept of what am android may be but we know the mannequins are not flesh and blood.

They don't even have faces, and they're likely mindless as well.

[Image: SIxpIjO.png]

Also, if the character is already made, Retcons are still possible. The OP asked for advice and thoughts, and we're giving them.
I know they are faceless and mindless. I thought that it could be possible if a lone Allagan scientist kept one of those manikins for himself and gave it a face and a mind.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - LiadansWhisper - 10-10-2015

(10-10-2015, 12:58 AM)mongi291 Wrote: I know they are faceless and mindless. I thought that it could be possible if a lone Allagan scientist kept one of those manikins for himself and gave it a face and a mind.

It's possible, it's just a bit of a stretch (especially given that we don't really know how advanced the mannequins are in terms of ability to interact/sentience).

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Oli! - 10-10-2015

(10-10-2015, 12:58 AM)mongi291 Wrote: I know they are faceless and mindless. I thought that it could be possible if a lone Allagan scientist kept one of those manikins for himself and gave it a face and a mind.

It's more than just a face and a mind, really. For a machine to be a machine while still not knowing it, they would have to:

-- Not only eat and drink, but starve and stop functioning if they don't.

-- Crap and piss after they eat and drink.

-- Sweat.

-- Not only breathe, but require breath.

-- Take visible, human-like damage, regardless of whether or not they can feel it (bruise, bleed, break, etcetera.)

-- Weigh within the normal confines of a humanoid (the metal, stone, etc, that Allagans make their tech out of is heavy stuff).

-- Not interact in fishy ways when encountered with energy or metals (magnetism, etc).

-- Not interact in fishy ways when encountered with liquid (short-out, lose articulation in their joints, etc).

-- Have facial expressions that are built-in and perfectly articulated, something that we, with all our current real-world technology, are not yet capable of properly doing.

-- Probably some other stuff I didn't think about.

Now, other things aside, as soon as you've gotten to the point where you've built a robot that can take a shit and bleeds when you cut their robo-arm off, not only have you gotten to the point of Questionably Robotic, but also the point of Questionably Useful. Why would you go through all the time and thought needed to build a working digestive system for a robot, especially when your civilization has done a bang-up job of growing their cloning and biological industries?

It just seems unnecessary. I think you could get more mileage out of an Allagan clone.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - mongi291 - 10-10-2015

(10-10-2015, 01:19 AM)Oli! Wrote:

It's more than just a face and a mind, really. For a machine to be a machine while still not knowing it, they would have to:

-- Not only eat and drink, but starve and stop functioning if they don't.

-- Crap and piss after they eat and drink.

-- Sweat.

-- Not only breathe, but require breath.

-- Take visible, human-like damage, regardless of whether or not they can feel it (bruise, bleed, break, etcetera.)

-- Weigh within the normal confines of a humanoid (the metal, stone, etc, that Allagans make their tech out of is heavy stuff).

-- Not interact in fishy ways when encountered with energy or metals (magnetism, etc).

-- Not interact in fishy ways when encountered with liquid (short-out, lose articulation in their joints, etc).

-- Have facial expressions that are built-in and perfectly articulated, something that we, with all our current real-world technology, are not yet capable of properly doing.

-- Probably some other stuff I didn't think about.

Now, other things aside, as soon as you've gotten to the point where you've built a robot that can take a shit and bleeds when you cut their robo-arm off, not only have you gotten to the point of Questionably Robotic, but also the point of Questionably Useful. Why would you go through all the time and thought needed to build a working digestive system for a robot, especially when your civilization has done a bang-up job of growing their cloning and biological industries?

It just seems unnecessary. I think you could get more mileage out of an Allagan clone.
But Allagan clones are identical to normal humans. I wanted to play a robot because, even if she doesn't know she's not human, she has to put up with the fact that she's different, as she doesn't know what emotions, love, etc... are.
Still, if playing a manikin is that much of an issue, I might as well delete the character, because I honestly don't know what else to do with her. And I'm not really a fan of retconning.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - Oli! - 10-10-2015

(10-10-2015, 01:34 AM)mongi291 Wrote: But Allagan clones are identical to normal humans. I wanted to play a robot because, even if she doesn't know she's not human, she has to put up with the fact that she's different, as she doesn't know what emotions, love, etc... are.
Still, if playing a manikin is that much of an issue, I might as well delete the character, because I honestly don't know what else to do with her. And I'm not really a fan of retconning.

There are plenty of interesting things that you can do with clones, including but not limited to:

-- Pondering whether or not artificial life is really life.

-- Pondering whether or not you have a "soul."

-- Reflecting on your legacy as one of the last remaining living remnants of a power-hungry and honestly rather terrible society.

-- Reflecting on the fact that you have ties to a society that not only no one else has, but also happens to be dead.

-- Reflecting on memories embedded into your brain that may or may not be yours.

-- Are you really the person you're a clone of, or someone different?

-- People sure are gonna want to come after you in order to get some of that Allagan Knowledge Goodness.

See? Tons of stuff, and all good.

(10-10-2015, 01:41 AM)Oli! Wrote:
(10-10-2015, 01:34 AM)mongi291 Wrote: But Allagan clones are identical to normal humans. I wanted to play a robot because, even if she doesn't know she's not human, she has to put up with the fact that she's different, as she doesn't know what emotions, love, etc... are.

There are plenty of interesting things that you can do with clones, including but not limited to:

-- Pondering whether or not artificial life is really life.

-- Pondering whether or not you have a "soul."

-- Reflecting on your legacy as one of the last remaining living remnants of a power-hungry and honestly rather terrible society.

-- Reflecting on the fact that you have ties to a society that not only no one else has, but also happens to be dead.

-- Reflecting on memories embedded into your brain that may or may not be yours.

-- Are you really the person you're a clone of, or someone different?

-- People sure are gonna want to come after you in order to get some of that Allagan Knowledge Goodness.

See? Tons of stuff, and all good.
I see. But that means I have to do some major retconning (what little she recovered of her memory was two unknown men discussing about an unknown manikin, so... yeah), and everytime she interacted with someone, I had her act to reflect her lack of emotions as a robot.

RE: Looking for feedback for a potentially lore-breaking character. - LiadansWhisper - 10-10-2015

(10-10-2015, 01:53 AM)mongi291 Wrote: I see. But that means I have to do some major retconning (what little she recovered of her memory was two unknown men discussing about an unknown manikin, so... yeah), and everytime she interacted with someone, I had her act to reflect her lack of emotions as a robot.

If you go with the Allagan Clone idea, you could still be unaware that you are a clone, and you could still have the memory of the unknown people talking about a manikin.  She could still have a lack of emotions as a clone - maybe something went wrong, maybe she was traumatized and can't remember why but avoids emotions.  There are lots of options!

(10-10-2015, 01:53 AM)mongi291 Wrote: I see. But that means I have to do some major retconning (what little she recovered of her memory was two unknown men discussing about an unknown manikin, so... yeah), and everytime she interacted with someone, I had her act to reflect her lack of emotions as a robot.

You can keep the emotionless nature. Some people have trouble expressing emotions. Others, due to upbringing or physical trauma, are incapable of expressing, understanding, or describing emotions. Maybe something went wrong in the cloning process. Maybe she was "programmed" that way (and we know that some form of mental programming exists for clones; the two encountered in the Crystal Tower storyline had the memories of their original copies imprinted into them).