Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's (/showthread.php?tid=13294)

Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's - Corensv - 09-05-2015

Well, I'm somebody who has rped quite a bit already. But that mostly is in tabletop form. Dungeons and dragons, world of darkness, unknown armies. that kinda stuff. Don't know if any of that experience is going to be helpfull (might even end up biting me in the arse.)

As to mmorpg's, I never played one before. I picked this one up because I like final fantasy and I heard good things about it. 

I'm not on the balmung server yet though. Still waiting for a slot to open up there to create a character ^^;

so yeah. I guess this is a bit of a pre-emptive sign up. But hello anyway Big Grin hope we havea  fun time together.

RE: Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's - Harrow - 09-05-2015

One pre-emptive welcome to the community for you then!

Balmung's been a great server and a good place to start an MMO adventure. The community has been over all really nice so far and roleplay seems to be just about everywhere. It will take a couple of RP sessions to get the hang of but it's not to far removed from the old tabletop ideas of story crafting and adventuring. If you need any help or want to join up in some of the arcs I host feel free to hit me up in game as well when you land on the server.

RE: Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's - Corensv - 09-05-2015

(09-05-2015, 12:44 PM)Harrow Wrote: One pre-emptive welcome to the community for you then!

Balmung's been a great server and a good place to start an MMO adventure. The community has been over all really nice so far and roleplay seems to be just about everywhere. It will take a couple of RP sessions to get the hang of but it's not to far removed from the old tabletop ideas of story crafting and adventuring. If you need any help or want to join up in some of the arcs I host feel free to hit me up in game as well when you land on the server.

ok, speaking of servers though. are there other servers that this site is active on? Our should I just play for a bit on other servers till balmung is open again?

RE: Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's - Cassandra - 09-05-2015

(09-05-2015, 12:51 PM)Corensv Wrote:
(09-05-2015, 12:44 PM)Harrow Wrote: One pre-emptive welcome to the community for you then!

ok, speaking of servers though. are there other servers that this site is active on? Our should I just play for a bit on other servers till balmung is open again?

Unfortunately, Balmung is notoriously difficult to get in. I believe the server is closed to character creation. So you'll have to transfer from another server. (The exception rules don't apply if you pay for a transfer.) 

Personally, as a new player myself, I would say Balmung is definitely worth it if you fancy roleplaying; great commodity there, though I've heard Gilgamesh is a decent alternative.

And on that note. Welcome aboard! Moogle

RE: Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's - Corensv - 09-05-2015

(09-05-2015, 04:00 PM)Bourne Wrote:
(09-05-2015, 12:51 PM)Corensv Wrote:

Unfortunately, Balmung is notoriously difficult to get in. I believe the server is closed to character creation. So you'll have to transfer from another server. (The exception rules don't apply if you pay for a transfer.) 

Personally, as a new player myself, I would say Balmung is definitely worth it if you fancy roleplaying; great commodity there, though I've heard Gilgamesh is a decent alternative.

And on that note. Welcome aboard! Moogle

ah that's a bummer :/ I'll better save up a bit for that as wel then. Untill then I can try and play a bit on the gilgamesh server. See if there are any other rper's on there. 

Still, thanks for the welcomeBig Grin

RE: Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's - Lydia Lightfoot - 09-05-2015

Rumor has it that there's pockets of RP on a bunch of different servers, but the one that seems to be the most vocal outside of the game is definitely Balmung. On the plus side, your $18 transfer fee applies to up to 8 characters at once (provided that your subscription type is the one that allows multiple characters on a server), so if you like alts, make a few in advance and transfer them as a batch.

RE: Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's - Mia Moui - 09-05-2015

(09-05-2015, 04:44 PM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: Rumor has it that there's pockets of RP on a bunch of different servers, but the one that seems to be the most vocal outside of the game is definitely Balmung. On the plus side, your $18 transfer fee applies to up to 8 characters at once (provided that your subscription type is the one that allows multiple characters on a server), so if you like alts, make a few in advance and transfer them as a batch.

I am glad to have found this out.  I somehow believed that my $18 applied to all the character slots not just a single character!

RE: Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's - Lydia Lightfoot - 09-05-2015

(09-05-2015, 11:34 PM)Mia Moui Wrote:
(09-05-2015, 04:44 PM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: Rumor has it that there's pockets of RP on a bunch of different servers, but the one that seems to be the most vocal outside of the game is definitely Balmung. On the plus side, your $18 transfer fee applies to up to 8 characters at once (provided that your subscription type is the one that allows multiple characters on a server), so if you like alts, make a few in advance and transfer them as a batch.

I am glad to have found this out.  I somehow believed that my $18 applied to all the character slots not just a single character!

Up to 8, per $18 (so, less than $2 each, of you do that many). But, your account has to be the "multiple characters per server" type (one-per-server is also a subscription option), and all of the characters have to come from the same origin server (so you can't do like... four from one server and four from another all going to Balmung with one transfer fee, but if you have 8 all on one server, you can do that).

RE: Hi, New to ffXiV and rping in mmo's - Roe Dad - 09-06-2015

Welcome!