Hydaelyn Role-Players
Limits of aether manipulation? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Limits of aether manipulation? (/showthread.php?tid=13233)

Limits of aether manipulation? - Vale - 08-31-2015

This is something I've been wondering about and I haven't found anything concrete on the subject (yet).

So, my question is: What are the limits of manipulating one's aether? A THM, for example, can mold their own aether and utilize it via a sceptor/staff. If someone has had some training as a THM, but perhaps hasn't mastered it, would it be potentially possible for them to infuse other weapons with their own aether? For example, swords, lances, etc. Even if it's accidental - maybe from instinct or something. Not reliable, but possible when certain conditions are met.

Or would this be crossing the line? I know that with the zodiac weapons they infuse them with aether and then attune their soul energy for the Nexus version. If manipulating one's own aether isn't possible, how likely would it be for someone to be able to infuse aether into pre-existing weapons from a lore perspective? I realize that the Zodiac weapons are technically one-of-a-kind and saying that you're walking around with their equivalent would probably be dumb, so perhaps a lesser or imperfect version instead would suffice?

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thank you in advance ^_^

RE: Limits of aether manipulation? - Aaron - 08-31-2015

Weapons and body aether manipulation are legit.

Most of all battle skills use some kind of aether in them. Some notable example being DRK, PLD and DRG.

RE: Limits of aether manipulation? - Jana - 08-31-2015

(08-31-2015, 11:13 PM)Vale Wrote: A THM, for example, can mold their own aether and utilize it via a sceptor/staff. If someone has had some training as a THM, but perhaps hasn't mastered it, would it be potentially possible for them to infuse other weapons with their own aether? For example, swords, lances, etc. Even if it's accidental - maybe from instinct or something. Not reliable, but possible when certain conditions are met.

In terms of spellcasting, the weapons each of those classes uses are made of certain materials because they conduct the aether for their magic better. THM uses bone/precious metal staves and scepters that incorporate a jewel into the head, CNJ uses a wooden staff or cane, and ACN books are made of all sorts of materials but with very specific types of inks, mixed with precious metals and blood. While some spells can be cast cross-class, they are generally weaker as a result from both a game play and in-world perspective.

There is a bit of lore behind each one, but it's fairly open ended. (For example, I had Jana use a ritual dagger with a gold hilt encasing a ruby for a specific RP scene where she used some THM and ACN aether manipulation.) If you wanted to have a THM character accidentally infuse a weapon with aether, it might work better with an ornate sword than with a mostly-wood spear, for example.

RE: Limits of aether manipulation? - Sounsyy - 09-01-2015

(08-31-2015, 11:13 PM)Vale Wrote: What are the limits of manipulating one's aether? A THM, for example, can mold their own aether and utilize it via a sceptor/staff. If someone has had some training as a THM, but perhaps hasn't mastered it, would it be potentially possible for them to infuse other weapons with their own aether? For example, swords, lances, etc.

THMs can feasibly channel their aether through any manner of weapon so long as it possesses the proper materials: a gemstone and an aether-conductive metal such as silver, gold, or electrum. Bone also works as a conductive material and is often thought to be far superior to metal alternatives.

The Order of Nald'thal has a special set of ritual daggers that they use to cast certain... arcane... magicks. So yes, this is feasible with weapons other than staves.

(08-31-2015, 11:13 PM)Vale Wrote: I know that with the zodiac weapons they infuse them with aether and then attune their soul energy for the Nexus version. If manipulating one's own aether isn't possible, how likely would it be for someone to be able to infuse aether into pre-existing weapons from a lore perspective? I realize that the Zodiac weapons are technically one-of-a-kind and saying that you're walking around with their equivalent would probably be dumb, so perhaps a lesser or imperfect version instead would suffice?

Technically, the Zodiac weapons are not one of a kind because the ones you make in game are imitations using similar processes to forge the weapon. The originals have all been lost.

Now, can you infuse your own aether into a weapon? Yes! This is actually what spiritbinding is and is how you create Aetherial weapons (the pink ones that drop out of dungeons). When people die, their aether gets ripped from their bodies and saturates the immediate area. If enough saturates a piece of armor or weapon, that equipment becomes aetherially enhanced (and can actually act as a lodestone for the soul to attach to which leads into soul crystals...).

So all of this is within lore.

My question is - are you planning on infusing aether into a weapon to create an aetherially enhanced, weaker zodiac-inspired weapon? Or are you trying to get a weapon you can channel Thaumaturgy through? Because the difference is that one is permanently infusing aether into an object (spiritbinding) and the other is using a normal weapon as a channel for aether manipulation (thaumaturgy). Thaumaturges do not infuse their aether into the weapon to make it more powerful, they merely use the materials which make up the weapon to better cast their magicks. The same can be said of Conjurers' staves or Arcanists' grimoires.

RE: Limits of aether manipulation? - Vale - 09-01-2015

(09-01-2015, 12:55 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 11:13 PM)Vale Wrote: What are the limits of manipulating one's aether? A THM, for example, can mold their own aether and utilize it via a sceptor/staff. If someone has had some training as a THM, but perhaps hasn't mastered it, would it be potentially possible for them to infuse other weapons with their own aether? For example, swords, lances, etc.

THMs can feasibly channel their aether through any manner of weapon so long as it possesses the proper materials: a gemstone and an aether-conductive metal such as silver, gold, or electrum. Bone also works as a conductive material and is often thought to be far superior to metal alternatives.

The Order of Nald'thal has a special set of ritual daggers that they use to cast certain... arcane... magicks. So yes, this is feasible with weapons other than staves.

(08-31-2015, 11:13 PM)Vale Wrote: I know that with the zodiac weapons they infuse them with aether and then attune their soul energy for the Nexus version. If manipulating one's own aether isn't possible, how likely would it be for someone to be able to infuse aether into pre-existing weapons from a lore perspective? I realize that the Zodiac weapons are technically one-of-a-kind and saying that you're walking around with their equivalent would probably be dumb, so perhaps a lesser or imperfect version instead would suffice?

Technically, the Zodiac weapons are not one of a kind because the ones you make in game are imitations using similar processes to forge the weapon. The originals have all been lost.

Now, can you infuse your own aether into a weapon? Yes! This is actually what spiritbinding is and is how you create Aetherial weapons (the pink ones that drop out of dungeons). When people die, their aether gets ripped from their bodies and saturates the immediate area. If enough saturates a piece of armor or weapon, that equipment becomes aetherially enhanced (and can actually act as a lodestone for the soul to attach to which leads into soul crystals...).

So all of this is within lore.

My question is - are you planning on infusing aether into a weapon to create an aetherially enhanced, weaker zodiac-inspired weapon? Or are you trying to get a weapon you can channel Thaumaturgy through? Because the difference is that one is permanently infusing aether into an object (spiritbinding) and the other is using a normal weapon as a channel for aether manipulation (thaumaturgy). Thaumaturges do not infuse their aether into the weapon to make it more powerful, they merely use the materials which make up the weapon to better cast their magicks. The same can be said of Conjurers' staves or Arcanists' grimoires.

Thanks for the super-detailed response! Both you and Jena provided a lot of good information. To answer your question: The former rather than the latter, although I can work with either if the former is less optimal. The question is, can one permanently meld their own aether into a weapon? Or would it have to come from an external source? i.e. Kill some voidsent or some other creature to infuse their aether into the weapon itself? I want to make sure that when I'm writing this out it's all believable and holds true to lore. I don't plan on making my character 'anime' or super-powerful. In fact, I don't even believe I'm going to make his weapon much better than a normal weapon. It'll just have some aether infused into it and a bit of a glow around the blade.