Hydaelyn Role-Players
Creating a Dragoon... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Creating a Dragoon... (/showthread.php?tid=13219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Chris Ganale - 08-31-2015

There's always Tahz's way: be a fake DRG. Hit the ceiling of his generic lancer training, went to Ishgard because that's where everyone says the super-lancers hang out, found an old Fortemps (that part is important) guard captain who was suitably moved by his desire to improve to protect his girl, and agreed to give him some on-the-low training. Nets him pretty much all of the pre-50 DRG skills, but you put him next to an actual DRG and he'll look laughably incompetent, as what happened when he saw real DRGs in action at the Steps of Faith. He can jump really far and nail things with reasonable accuracy, but supersonic human cruise missile he ain't. Yet.

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Ashe - 08-31-2015

I've seen a lot of fake DRGs and it's worked. 
My character is not a dragoon...he's Ishgardian and will question you. But he's also a paranoid nutcase >> 
I know people OOCly get mad about IC questions (which I've seen) or even get offended by this topic in OOC discussions so...
I donno, I always RP based around what I see within the world given to me. If I don't see NPCs somewhere then I will use that as a hint. I'm always iffy about bending the lore...the one time I did it, it was confirmed as something in 3.0 (Ashe's aether sight in one eye and how it physically affects him when he uses it, etc.) 

So yeah, just be prepared for that but it's not impossible!!! Ishgardians and dragoons are cool crazy butts in general.

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Chris Ganale - 08-31-2015

That said, I am going to be changing one of my unused alts into a proper Ishgardian DRG here soon. I think I smell a training opportunity for dear R'tahz.

Haha nice nice!
The non-Ishgardian dragoons argument is my favorite can of worms to open.
That being said, I love Ishgard lore (and Allagan lore)...if you ever want to RP or have questions let me know xPP

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Sylastair - 08-31-2015

(08-31-2015, 02:10 PM)Oli! Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 02:03 PM)Ashe Wrote: Also....non-Elezen Dragoons are rare. Hyurs are possible. But don't go making any Au Ra Dragoons or Miqo'te Dragoons without a bit of backlash. You also have to be trained by a regular dragoon and you have to be recognized by the Holy See and for a city known for just straight up killing Au Ra on sight in the past, you won't be met with open arms as one now still probably...
Also, there is only one Azure Dragoon. So don't be that haha. 

Everyone else has got it down.

You CAN be a non-Elezen/Hyur Non-Ishgardian Dragoon I GUESS.......but like....Don't do it if you're not willing to be questioned about it ICly and OOCly >>

Have a Good Excuse is the game here.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, especially since:

Show Content

but it's entirely possible to just be a Lancer, or maybe pay someone from Ishgard for training in everything except what's in the spoiler box. The game then becomes "why would they train YOU," however, so it's still risky business.
Speaking to your Spoiler:

Show Content

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Oli! - 08-31-2015

(08-31-2015, 04:30 PM)Flynt Knoltros Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 02:03 PM)Ashe Wrote: Also....non-Elezen Dragoons are rare. Hyurs are possible. But don't go making any Au Ra Dragoons or Miqo'te Dragoons without a bit of backlash. You also have to be trained by a regular dragoon and you have to be recognized by the Holy See and for a city known for just straight up killing Au Ra on sight in the past, you won't be met with open arms as one now still probably...

You CAN be a non-Elezen/Hyur Non-Ishgardian Dragoon I GUESS.......but like....Don't do it if you're not willing to be questioned about it ICly and OOCly >>

Show Content

but it's entirely possible to just be a Lancer, or maybe pay someone from Ishgard for training in everything except what's in the spoiler box. The game then becomes "why would they train YOU," however, so it's still risky business.

Show Content

Show Content

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Volk - 08-31-2015

(08-31-2015, 04:30 PM)Flynt Knoltros Wrote:

Show Content

Show Content

Miqo'te, pls.

Kidding ! I agree; just because I haven't seen a certain race or nationality be dragoon in the MSQ does not mean to me that it cannot be so unless explicitly explained otherwise . . Or at least that is how I see it. I feel like there are one million different reasons, methods, ways that this knowledge could have been imparted to non-locals or those of exotic race. Just my opinion - but if you have a concept that is not just. . . mental - GO FOR IT. You do not need to justify yourself to anyone else unless you want to : >

#MamaDahlmelSpreadsDRGLove

I play by the rule that if you haven't seen it in the MSQ or in the towns around you, it probably doesn't exist...There should be no miqo'te in Ishgard as Ishgardian citizens. Like...period. There are no non-outside people in Ishgard who are Miqo'te. At all. 
The knowledge CAN be imparted but if you're a miqo'te or Au Ra you need the Holy See to recognize your achievements which, as an outsider, it's like 1) why would you ICly care and 2) why would the Holy See care.

You can have all the power and knowledge but if the people it matters to will most likely not recognize it then what's the point.

The whole non-Elezen/Hyur Dragoons thing IS mental in my opinion but people CAN go for it. 

Ahhhh~ This is my favorite can of worms for a reason~ 
....Next to the WHM/BLM one. That's my second favorite can of worms.

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Riven - 08-31-2015

Well, my guy is Ishgardian hyur-more or less born and raised there.  Joined a House guard when he was of age, and a few years later the incident that got him to dragoon/dragoon training happened.

(Still properly fleshing things out.  Also I fully blame oocly Steps of Faith with that gd amazing track for partly inspiring me @-@)

Hahaha SoF made me level Dragoon >.< 
My character is an Ishgardian who hates Ishgard so not ICly a dragoon but I was like LORE LORE LORE!!!!
^ loser

So yeah....There's plenty of lore in 3.0 and Dragoon quests to go around and even 2.4+ 
You can do it! I believe in you!!!

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Martiallais - 08-31-2015

(08-31-2015, 05:31 PM)Ashe Wrote: I play by the rule that if you haven't seen it in the MSQ or in the towns around you, it probably doesn't exist...

That would take us back to the argument about Ishgardian Duskwights, depending on one's perspective. Wink

That said, I'm of the mindset of if it's plausible, go with it. I think a lot of folks feel that way as well, generally speaking. As was pointed out when this came up in the Ishgard RP  LS, the server is a fairly big place, far bigger than the RPC. If you come up with a solid character idea and stick with it, you'll find folks that will accept it and play/RP with you.

Sidenote, dragoon headcanon below the cut.
Show Content

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Riven - 08-31-2015

That instance and that song I swear are ads to make you roll a dragoon. @-@

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Flashhelix - 08-31-2015

Show Content

RE: Creating a Dragoon... - Virella - 08-31-2015

Orphans in Ishgard are A+ class Dragoon material if I remember the levequests properly! Hatred for dragons + losing your parents to them make good dragoons apparently. I imagine their training starts pretty early on in life due to the whole picking orphans to become Dragoons. So I don't think you can just swag in and master being a Dragoon in a few weeks of training.

(08-31-2015, 06:06 PM)Martiallais Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 05:31 PM)Ashe Wrote: I play by the rule that if you haven't seen it in the MSQ or in the towns around you, it probably doesn't exist...

That would take us back to the argument about Ishgardian Duskwights, depending on one's perspective. Wink

That said, I'm of the mindset of if it's plausible, go with it. I think a lot of folks feel that way as well, generally speaking. As was pointed out when this came up in the Ishgard RP  LS, the server is a fairly big place, far bigger than the RPC. If you come up with a solid character idea and stick with it, you'll find folks that will accept it and play/RP with you.

Sidenote, dragoon headcanon below the cut.
Show Content
Wellll
I think there are Ishgardian Duskwights because of DD and that alone >> Their base was a giant cave...only a Duskwight would live in caves like that.
I never argued against that actually haha.