Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is your character left or right handed? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Fun Prompts (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Is your character left or right handed? (/showthread.php?tid=13077)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Virella - 08-20-2015

Vi can write with both hands. The nerd forced herself to many years ago so she can work more efficient.

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Sylentmana - 08-21-2015

I've never actually given this any thought before. I guess, because I'm right handed, my characters end up right handed by default. Ultimately, it doesn't matter much for Cecilia as she is a mage and magic doesn't care about which hand is comes from.

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Glacirus - 08-22-2015

Playing mostly Healer, I just realized those classes don't really favor one hand over the other too much. CNJ/WHM spells have the weapon float in front of you as you use both hands to cast. AST is similar where you hold the Planesphere in your left hand, draw/use cards with the right, and cast most spells by raising both above your head. SCH has the most favoring with the book in your right hand, quill in your left to write the formulas.

That said, my characters all tend to favor their right hand heavily, as it's what I know best.

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Khunbish Avagnar - 08-23-2015

Aiswynd is Ambidextrous by natural born talent. This trait is what first led him to fighting with two knives while working as a hunter and tracker.

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Archim - 08-27-2015

Archim is ambidextrous with personal preferance of using left for small stuff like writing while right is often being in role of wielding weapons.

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Vaerimont Lectoroix - 08-31-2015

Incoming headcanon: Vaerimont is equally left as he is right (ambidextrous); the reason being that he would have to take several sets of notes at a time during his enrollment at the Studium. He is studious and efficient, not a prodigy, but comes up with ideas that improve his efficiency at his work. I see him being a young kid at school, grumbling at how behind he was in his studies, so he would practice writing two sets of notes at once in order to save time. BUT he first learned to write with his right hand.. imagining my little elf at school surrounded by piles of books just puts a smile on my face.

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Klynzahr - 08-31-2015

Klynzahr uses her right hand for writing, swordplay and most small tasks. However she has good overall fine motor skills and is fairly comfortable using her left hand to tie knots, or even sew.

She defaults to her left arm for heavy lifting and other strength based tasks. This is partly due to natural preference, partly from years of shield training and partly due to an old shoulder injury on her right side. She may be comfortable switching a scalpel from right to left hand, and able to fight left handed in a pinch, but you would never catch her trying to break down a door with her right shoulder.

Her right eye is actually much stronger than her left. If anything were to happen to it, Klyn would be left essentially blind.

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Martiallais - 08-31-2015

Martiallais, in a very small homage to the Hero of Time himself, is left handed primarily. He can obviously use his right for some tasks (like striking/defending with his shield) but I wouldn't quite call him ambidextrous.

Aedan however is a heavily leaning right handed and most definitely doesn't use his left for more than small things here and there.

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Spethah - 08-31-2015

I'm loosely ambidextrous, where I'm right hand focused. I type, eat, use a tennis racket, draw my bow and use a sword with the left hand while I do everything else with my right. It's less of that it's more comfortable but rather those specific things were taught by my mother who is left handed. I took a test a long time ago when my mother saw that I was handling left handed control easily and it came out that I was ambidextrous but right hand focused.

As for Auri, she's quite similar. She's ambidextrous but in the sense that she can do all of her things with both hands, rather than having a focus hand. It's easier for me to RP someone that way given that I'm closely similar.

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Miko Shiroi - 09-01-2015

Oh man. I hadn't really thought about this much before I happened upon this topic. I also didn't realize that being more dominant in one hand or the other could affect fighting so much (especially physical combat).

Because of the in-game animations, I've just kinda rolled with K'heyo being right-handed. Even though it would be a petty issue, I'm not quite sure I could deal with the animations being inaccurate to his dominant hand if I were to change him to left-handed.

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Riven - 09-01-2015

Riven is right handed, Reinhardt is ambidextrous (the better to fight with).

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Aaron - 09-01-2015

(09-01-2015, 12:20 PM)K Wrote: Oh man. I hadn't really thought about this much before I happened upon this topic. I also didn't realize that being more dominant in one hand or the other could affect fighting so much (especially physical combat).

Because of the in-game animations, I've just kinda rolled with K'heyo being right-handed. Even though it would be a petty issue, I'm not quite sure I could deal with the animations being inaccurate to his dominant hand if I were to change him to left-handed.
Yep it plays a big part despite being such a small thing! I always try to incorporate it during fight rp with Aaron by showing him switching hands or having difficulty defending one side over the other. Makes the fight more about real skill and finesse than the typical "I swing harder than you, you get hit."

RE: Is your character left or right handed? - Miko Shiroi - 09-01-2015

(09-01-2015, 12:44 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(09-01-2015, 12:20 PM)K Wrote: Oh man. I hadn't really thought about this much before I happened upon this topic. I also didn't realize that being more dominant in one hand or the other could affect fighting so much (especially physical combat).

Yep it plays a big part despite being such a small thing! I always try to incorporate it during fight rp with Aaron by showing him switching hands or having difficulty defending one side over the other. Makes the fight more about real skill and finesse than the typical "I swing harder than you, you get hit."
I see. I'm always looking to try and make my RP experience feel more "realistic" and "immersive," so I might try to include some of this in my RPing. Up until now, I've just used dice rolls alone to decide the outcome of fights. Actually, it might be a neat thing to combine both of those and have a swing or dodge fail because of the angle and arm strength dominance.