Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP Confession Thread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP Confession Thread (/showthread.php?tid=12923)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RP Confession Thread - LadyRochester - 08-10-2015

Because why not? Keep everything respectful and anonymous if you are trying to reference another person, though I encourage you don't.

1. Looking back at some of the first RP I engaged in, I cringe. Jesus fucking christ, I'd punch myself in the face. (And I started role playing about a year and a half ago, maybe a tad more.)

2. I treat characters like characters in my favorite books/shows, if a character dies, I actually suffer their loss. (No hard feelings OOC, at least not after the initial first few moments of "WHAT WHY")

3. I /love/ talking about characters with other roleplayers, as I mentioned before, it's like talking about my favorite characters in books and movies. The deeper the discussion gets in the character, the better. I'm like the fangirl that asks too many questions and won't shut up.

4. I tend to bite off more than I can chew regarding RP, I'm improving in this sense, but I have promised people rp in the past that never happened.  (I apologize if you happen to be one of these people.)

.... What about you?

RE: RP Confession Thread - Seye Qhesu - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 08:43 AM)LadyRochester Wrote: Because why not? Keep everything respectful and anonymous if you are trying to reference another person, though I encourage you don't.

1. Looking back at some of the first RP I engaged in, I cringe. Jesus fucking christ, I'd punch myself in the face. (And I started role playing about a year and a half ago, maybe a tad more.)

2. I treat characters like characters in my favorite books/shows, if a character dies, I actually suffer their loss. (No hard feelings OOC, at least not after the initial first few moments of "WHAT WHY")

3. I /love/ talking about characters with other roleplayers, as I mentioned before, it's like talking about my favorite characters in books and movies. The deeper the discussion gets in the character, the better. I'm like the fangirl that asks too many questions and won't shut up.

4. I tend to bite off more than I can chew regarding RP, I'm improving in this sense, but I have promised people rp in the past that never happened.  (I apologize if you happen to be one of these people.)

.... What about you?
My word! You've touched on pretty much everything I would have. The only thing I would add is....

I am a complete ass to my characters. A cruel god if you will. I love to see nothing go their way. I enjoy making them suffer one way or another whether it be emotional or physical pain. Not in the emo sense mind you but more in the sense of conflict.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Spethah - 08-10-2015

Due to point one being a rather negative subject, I'm putting it under spoiler tag so I don't ruin your pretty day. No seriously, I mean it. 

Show Content

2. I have a constant burning imagination. I could be cooking something for dinner and have a thought or a scene that I think through with my character and wonder how they would do such a thing. It can happen anywhere with anything and it's probably my main source of inspiration for RP or writing in general. 

3. If I'm allowed to and I know I'm not going to get glared at for it, I could talk for hours about my character and even how they would react to yours. I don't develop my character much, I give them a personality and a backstory that backs up the reasoning for that personality and attitude but I can talk sooo much about them just based off those two/three things. It's horrifying.

4. Despite having English has my native language, despite taking literature in Uni, I typo like a complete amateur and it's kinda given me the name Speth or Spethah which I've accepted with open arms. You'd think that someone who's works wonders with words (if given enough food) would actually be at least decent with spelling but no! My brain doesn't understand that and I can throw typos around like it's Easter.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Kiur - 08-10-2015

1) From Yahoo chatrooms to Starcraft 1 to World of Warcraft, my RP was very bad. I have a memory of WoW where I horrendously godmoded and two players just walked away from it. Good for them, really.

2) Kiur is an imported concept, a character originally from [url=http://primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=Kiur\Champions Online.[/url] From Vampire to Death Knight on WoW, she is now an insane necromancer here on FFXIV. Much of her concept has been tweaked so don't click that link thinking that's who you'll meet.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Coatleque - 08-10-2015

1.) I also love to gossip about character developments with other people. It's like standing around the water cooler after seeing the season finale last night on TV. "OMG, can you believe she did that?!" But the weird thing is we were all there when it happened, and I'M THE ONE WHO MADE HER DO THAT.

2.) I secretly wish I was talented enough to draw scenes of silly 'what-if' scenarios that we come up with. Like what if characters X, Y, and Z were drunk at a bar?

RE: RP Confession Thread - Melodia - 08-10-2015

1. I have an active imagination and enjoy writing. I love a good story. And when I can, I love to put that down in print. But this leads to two problems:

2. I am incredibly shy, nervous in social settings, and do inexplicably worry about how I will be received by others, even when they are good friends in game. And when I rp, I worry doubly that I am not boring or that I will have writers block and fail to be able to respond without it being a "scene-ender".

3. I have done erp with my character. Likely too much. Even so much so that it is a character trait of Melodia. Meaning she's tainted goods, and hard for others to take seriously. Someone once told me that "She has a reputation....one that I wouldn't like to have." I won't say who said it but it was soon after my rp partner finished playing the game and my current doldrums hit. Hard to redeem the character with a reputation. Hard to not worry how people will react to you. Doubly hard to try and behave when tells fly in asking for that other kind of rp. A mess of my own making, I know....but still a problem.

I hope I didn't just say too much.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Aaron - 08-10-2015

Hmmm my rp confessions uhh.

1 - I do feel Aaron is one of those characters that'll annoy tf outta you with how he views life and acts but still can't help but enjoy being around him. At least OOC that was the intention. People IC might despise him but hell can't please everyone.

2 - The rp community could be a lot less "My past is awful and dark." For some reason I see a LOT of character in game who at one point have said "My parents are both dead" or something along that line. NOW BEFORE YOU JUDGE ME DO NOTE my problem isn't with the dark past itself, but how it's portrayed seemingly for attention or sympathy. It just irks me when someone goes around telling everyone and their mother "My parents are dead I watched them due and was tortured" etc. It's one thing to have a sad background. It's another to flaunt it for attention. 

That's bout it atm me thinks.

RE: RP Confession Thread - K'nahli - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 08:43 AM)LadyRochester Wrote: 1. Looking back at some of the first RP I engaged in, I cringe. Jesus fucking christ, I'd punch myself in the face. (And I started role playing about a year and a half ago, maybe a tad more.)

Technically, I started my first RP a couple of years back, but since I have participated in so little - relatively speaking - I still feel quite new to it and wouldn't dare call myself "experienced" or active.

...though having said all that, I have, on occasion, looked or thought back to some of my RP and I just.... don't know what I was thinking. I can't believe I was willing to write such things at the time and I become really, really embarrassed when I consider the idea that maybe my RP partner.... also... remembers.... *shudders*

It's like an even more intense sense of self-loathing than I tend to have with my appalling attempts at screenshot edits, haha ;;;;;

I also have a bad habit of altering some of my characters' dynamics because, due to the the large gaps I tend to have between RP sessions, my impression upon how or what they should be like/what I want them to be like differs from before. Not grossly, but it happens all the same.

And finally, I don't have a real talent for writing or story creation, so just today I was thinking about how my characters seem to lack... something. My friend has these characters who always have something going on in their own head, something other people don't know or don't see at first whereas I'm not sure I have ever worked toward emulating such a thing. I kind of just give characters a story along with their own internal conflict or reason for being a certain way at best but I don't really know... I am jealous of everyone elses' ability to write and conceptualise stories so well. Just once I'd like to create a character and story that my friend can love and be interested in rather than it always being the other way around. I realise I am relying on her to provide me with entertainment value but I am not doing enough to return the favour - or so I personally believe.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Berrod Armstrong - 08-10-2015

I have not stopped roleplaying since 2010. Even in skype I have three scenes awaiting my reply at the moment.

I enjoy power fantasies -- and I enjoy breaking them down to normal men/women for the sake of having them strive for that state once more. 

I take longer than I'd like to get back to people, and sometimes I just wish I had everyone ever on skype.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Leggerless - 08-10-2015

Originally my character concept included a dark and gritty past (e.g. what Aaron said about "both parents dead"). Thankfully, after a few months of actually RPing it out, I realized it wasn't the type of character I enjoy playing so I rewrote parts of my background story to... seem more cheerful.

Still a criminal character, of course, but nowhere near as gritty and more fun to RP as.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Siha - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 09:31 AM)Knahli Wrote: I also have a bad habit of altering some of my characters' dynamics because, due to the the large gaps I tend to have between RP sessions, my impression upon how or what they should be like/what I want them to be like differs from before. Not grossly, but it happens all the same.

And finally, I don't have a real talent for writing or story creation, so just today I was thinking about how my characters seem to lack... something. My friend has these characters who always have something going on in their own head, something other people don't know or don't see at first whereas I'm not sure I have ever worked toward emulating such a thing. I kind of just give characters a story along with their own internal conflict or reason for being a certain way at best but I don't really know... I am jealous of everyone elses' ability to write and conceptualise stories so well. Just once I'd like to create a character and story that my friend can love and be interested in rather than it always being the other way around. I realise I am relying on her to provide me with entertainment value but I am not doing enough to return the favour - or so I personally believe.

I'm echoing this right here because these are seriously my hardest obstacles when it comes to RPing with others. I just don't feel like I'm interesting enough with my characters. The only other thing I can think of isssss...

I psych myself out hardcore when it comes to anyone that I've heard a lot about, or even seen them post a lot on the forums, no matter who it is. I once randomly ran into someone in a dungeon from here, that I knew tanked but who was DPSing at the time while I tanked, and nearly had a breakdown because I was so frightened that they weren't going to like me (they were nice the whole time, even though I never said who I was. Angry). It happens the same way in RP. And 10/10 times you all are wonderful and really nice, I know this, but still doesn't stop me from skittering the hell away. I wish I didn't do that. XD

RE: RP Confession Thread - LadyRochester - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 08:47 AM)Kaguya Nightsong Wrote: My word! You've touched on pretty much everything I would have. The only thing I would add is....

I am a complete ass to my characters. A cruel god if you will. I love to see nothing go their way. I enjoy making them suffer one way or another whether it be emotional or physical pain. Not in the emo sense mind you but more in the sense of conflict.

This. So much this. 

(08-10-2015, 09:31 AM)K Wrote: Technically, I started my first RP a couple of years back, but since I have participated in so little - relatively speaking - I still feel quite new to it and wouldn't dare call myself "experienced" or active.

...though having said all that, I have, on occasion, looked or thought back to some of my RP and I just.... don't know what I was thinking. I can't believe I was willing to write such things at the time and I become really, really embarrassed when I consider the idea that maybe my RP partner.... also... remembers.... *shudders*

THANKS FOR REMINDING ME OF THAT, DAMN.... I really hope they don't... Though most probably do...

Please kill me.

RE: RP Confession Thread - K'nahli - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 09:46 AM)Siha Wrote: I'm echoing this right here because these are seriously my hardest obstacles when it comes to RPing with others. I just don't feel like I'm interesting enough with my characters. The only other thing I can think of isssss...

I psych myself out hardcore when it comes to anyone that I've heard a lot about, or even seen them post a lot on the forums, no matter who it is. I once randomly ran into someone in a dungeon from here, that I knew tanked but who was DPSing at the time while I tanked, and nearly had a breakdown because I was so frightened that they weren't going to like me (they were nice the whole time, even though I never said who I was. Angry). It happens the same way in RP. And 10/10 times you all are wonderful and really nice, I know this, but still doesn't stop me from skittering the hell away. I wish I didn't do that. XD

I get nervous like that as well, haha ;  One time I shamelessly worked up the courage to ask someone(Berrod I believe) for a screenshot since he was queued for something and not RP'ing(if memory serves) and not two seconds after he kindly agreed I was basically bthinking:

("Why? Why are you doing this to him? Why are you wasting his time? Why are you forcing him to be kind and oblige to your stupidity when he doesn't even know who you are? Just take a screen, take a screen, apologise a million times(but quickly) and leave the man alone")

(_ _) ;;   I'm glad I am not alone with this kind of fail at least.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Sylentmana - 08-10-2015

1. I RP a lot solo, but usually limit my RP with others to short passing interactions. This is largely due to the fact that I'm terribly slow at typing and very shy.

2. I prefer to use the game's mechanics and rules to dictate what a character can and can't do rather that focus on telling stories. Unfortunately, this seems to clash with many players as RP seems to have evolved to encompass a more story driven play style. I'm slowly coming over to this way of RPing, though.

3. I've tried playing as other races but I'm always drawn back to Miqo'te. As a result I currently have a Seeker with a very Hyur name. Since I'm too cheap to pay for a name change (especially after paying to transfer her to Balmung) I've adjusted her backstory to explain her unusual name. *Update* I've finally been able to settle with her being a Xaela. I found one last Fantasia that my retainer had. Her situation is still the same with her having a very Hyur name.

4. I have two versions of my character: One for solo play which follows the main story with my character as the WoL, and one version for public RP with her being less "special". Her background is essentially the same regardless of version.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Martiallais - 08-10-2015

There are a lot of posts here that echo things I feel (+1s incoming for those posts!) but since I haven't seen this noted yet...

I worry that I'll be seen/judged as not a 'serious' roleplayer because I don't have a wiki, unfinished or otherwise. There are people who I know that don't post or frequent the forums even who have pages up for their characters. The truth is I have word docs with tons of info on them about my characters and just...haven't done it yet. This is partly due to nerves (there are some really AWESOME wiki pages out there) and partly because every time I go to do it, I make a mess of the formatting.