Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Extempore; An Exercise in Happenstance - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Chronicled Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Balmung] Extempore; An Exercise in Happenstance (/showthread.php?tid=12896)

Extempore; An Exercise in Happenstance - Guns Blazing - 08-07-2015

This post is meant to gauge interest in an idea of mine. Please post your feedback! I probably won't do these unless there is enough interest.

Hello, citizens of Eorzea! I have a proposition of (what I expect to be) a new kind. I wish to bring excitement to the role play community, outside of your typical day-to-day tavern RP. I want to get people away from the Quicksand and their personal/company houses for a stint of fun in the sun! We are adventurers, for the most part, no? So why do our lives lend themselves so heavily to the mundane? Well, with a bit of randomness, I think we can break this seclusion and get things really going in this contested realm of ours!

First of all, I should outline that this proposed idea hinges upon random happenings in the world, and how our characters might react to such! This means there will be no advanced notice to participants, or even posts upon these forums. When it's time for one of these role play catalysts to occur, you will probably see a shout in Ul'dah, or a party finder pop up with the details you need to join in on the fun! 

These events are meant to be spontaneous and mostly unscripted. I am probably going to GM them all by myself at the initial launch. Anyone who wishes to participate will be invited to a linkshell for all GM-related postings related to the actual happenings of the event. The linkshell will be disbanded at the conclusion of the event, and a new one will be made for each and every such impromptu gathering. I will be looking for people to help me with these events, but I am likely to try and host the first one by myself unless I get some really interested helpers!

The objective of this new style of event is to accomplish three things; get people away from the mundane and increasingly familiar RP 'hotspots,' promote others to take it upon themselves to try and spur up random and exciting RP with others, and lastly, to hone my abilities as a writer!

Thank you for taking the time to read through my proposal. I have just a few quick notes before I wrap up this post to see what the response of the community is;
  • There will be a set number of participants in the first go around, so once this number is met, I will not be inviting more people to the LS. This is so that I do not overwhelm myself with having too many people for me to handle on my own. I will be looking to increase this when/if I have more interested parties in the administration of these events.
  • When you are not posting something relevant to the actual story of the event, please keep it out of say or emote. This includes OOC chat and little inconsequential emotes to your friends. Example; "Joe Bob leans over to whisper sweet nothings to Bobi Joe." Just send Bobi Joe a tell. Use your own discretion and try to keep it organized!
  • Nobody except myself and those who are helping me to set up these events will know when the next one will occur. We obviously will have a little bit of planning to do to get them ready for the masses, even if they're mostly unscripted. I do plan to host them on a variety of dates/times so that everybody has a chance to join in on some, no matter their timezone or schedule, though!
The first event will probably be something simple. A violent fight of some sort is likely to ensue somewhere inside -- or near to -- Ul'dah. People will be alerted of this, and all sorts of characters can interact. Do you play a character who wants to instigate trouble? Try and turn the spectators into a mess of rioters! Are you involved in law enforcement? Do your best to bring offenders to justice before the theoretical shit hits the actual fan(s)! Where did that Opo-Opo even come from?!

RE: Extempore; An Exercise in Happenstance - Oli! - 08-07-2015

A little more information might help to gather more interest, I would think.

That said, I've run a lot of things in other places, and I would be willing to help, if you need it.

RE: Extempore; An Exercise in Happenstance - Guns Blazing - 08-07-2015

Ah, I thought I was pretty clear that each and every event will be different. There isn't much information to share in regards to the individual events, since there is no real relation from one to the next. That's the entire purpose of it. It's a small to medium scale random role play encounter that will be held on unscheduled days and times.

RE: Extempore; An Exercise in Happenstance - Oli! - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 02:21 PM)GunsBlazing Wrote: Ah, I thought I was pretty clear that each and every event will be different. There isn't much information to share in regards to the individual events, since there is no real relation from one to the next. That's the entire purpose of it. It's a small to medium scale random role play encounter that will be held on unscheduled days and times.

I mean more in terms of what sorts of general themes are going to be present, or what you're looking to foster with this event-set. They may not be related, but there still might be a set of themes or genres that you're hoping to touch upon. Even if the answer to that would be "everything," it might still be important to note that, is all.

RE: Extempore; An Exercise in Happenstance - Guns Blazing - 08-07-2015

Quite literally anything I feel like hosting at the time. I know that's not a lot to go on, but anything from murder mysteries to people stumbling upon underground (dangerous and illegal) chocobo races (for Flynt K.)! There is going to be a huge variety to these events, and I plan to keep scripting new concepts if the idea takes off. I just want to attempt to break the habit that so many of the community has of either only rping in taverns/houses or when there is a scheduled server-wide event. This is one of the ways i came up with to try and fix this. I'm hoping other people will start doing it, too.