Hydaelyn Role-Players
Starting Out Now, with 2.0 Around the Corner? [Need Advice] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Starting Out Now, with 2.0 Around the Corner? [Need Advice] (/showthread.php?tid=1289)

Starting Out Now, with 2.0 Around the Corner? [Need Advice] - E'irawen - 05-16-2012

Hello.

I've been itching to RP with a lot of you recently, but haven't quite gotten anything down for my first character! I find myself a little conflicted, so I was hoping to get a bit of advice from you. With 2.0 around the corner [and the whole moon/meteor crashing, etc.], it means a lot of changes to the current scenery of the game. I know 2.0 is slated for just a few months from now... so how should I go about creating my character? I suppose I'm a bit afraid that I'll decide on one thing for her now, that gets nuked or something in the relaunch, and then suddenly her background doesn't make sense.

I hope I've explained myself properly. ;-;

The most I've got for her is that she'd be a songstress/dancer [an aspiring one, at that, no doubt] in role. I've been dabbling in writing her personality proper...but for background...Yeah. Haha, read above? =D;

Thank you all for your time in reading.

Re: Starting Out Now, with 2.0 Around the Corner? [Need Advi - Yssen - 05-16-2012

My advice is to create the character with what is currently available. One of the enticements they gave to player to stick with FFXIV through to 2.0 was that we would be experiencing the events that cause the massive world change that 2.0 will bring. Don't worry about what will be crushed and broken by the big pulsing red doom sphere, or better yet tap into that uncertainty and funnel it into your role-play. If you choose a place that is eventually wiped from the face of the planet you are no worse of than the rest of us when 2.0 hits. Our characters will have to deal with the loss and tragedy that the cataclysm brings. Most characters are also dealing with the fear and uncertainty that the current threats to the world bring. Nothing is going to be changed so dramaticly that a background you come up with now will make no real sense later. We are to experience the world shattering stuff in real time leading up to 2.0. As far as I know other than the big magic change they did a while back, they have no plans on retconning anything further game wise.

If you want to stay on the safe side, which is perfectly undertandable, my advice is pick on of the main IC City-States for a place for your character to be from and contain the bulk of background events. It is a pretty safe bet that while the surrounding areas will be tossed on their heads that the City-States will remain relatively intact. The one possible exception is Ishgard, but only because they have not let us set foot in their yet. Its loss would not be a dramatic upheaval from a core game stand point.

The current 7th Umbral Era story-line is the main focus of what is going on, and it will culminate in a big red pulsing doom sphere possibly being dropped on us, and more direct confrontation with the Empire. That is all we know at present. Everything else is up for grabs, and from an RP stand point this time period is really defined by what your character is going to do while having to stare this cataclysm in the face on a day to day basis. When 2.0 hits, our characters will be picking up the pieces and dealing with a world that has been vastly changed. This is all really exciting when you think about it. Lots of stories to be told leading up to everything and afterward. Then again I am a sucker for plot lines where you try and get the band back together/figure out what has happend to your people after a big badda boom (FFVI Post world reshaping anyone ;p).

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas of what to do RP wise. We are just as itching to RP with you as you are with us.

-Y

Re: Starting Out Now, with 2.0 Around the Corner? [Need Advi - E'irawen - 05-16-2012

Thank you very much for this. I have been out of the loop for a while, so I wasn't 100% of what was going on with the "doom sphere," as you call it. [I giggled.]

I was under this weird impression that everything going on now wouldn't really matter or connect with whatever 2.0 will bring out, so I'm relieved to hear that it'll all stay connected. I had thought of her being Gridanian, or at least some sort of forest dweller nearby. So! I suppose I'll work on that, then.

Thank you again!