Hydaelyn Role-Players
Discerning Lalafel Age - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Discerning Lalafel Age (/showthread.php?tid=12723)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - -no longer matters- - 07-29-2015

(07-29-2015, 11:50 AM)Hammersmith Wrote: Takes a little work, but with the right sunken eyes and facepaint, you can give yourself a craggy, ugly face of an old man!  Way easier for males though.  The wimmin models are all 18 forever and it's creepy.

[Image: 250px-Hammer.PNG]
I think War looks like she's in her 30's. Roe women using the right face can look middle aged.

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - Seriphyn - 07-29-2015

For Lalafell, I just presume that anyone that spends a long time around them (such as an Ul'dahn) will have a very good grasp on how gauge their age.

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - Lilia Lia - 07-29-2015

(07-29-2015, 11:50 AM)Hammersmith Wrote: Way easier for males though.  The wimmin models are all 18 forever and it's creepy.

I think Faye did a good job of making a Midlander who looks in her late 20s/early 30s.  I think she definitely looks older than the 24 that her wiki indicates and I was surprised to learn that was her age.

I think the eyes, nose and mouth are the way to go.  Smaller eyes and a bigger nose will look older.  Faye has those high-set narrow eyes that look mature.

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - Kage - 07-30-2015

I found someone's screenshots of the Lalafell family I was talking about.

[Image: tumblr_nrnte9cFnz1u9d2tyo1_1280.png]
This is the FATHER AND SON. Guess who's who?
[Image: tumblr_nrnte9cFnz1u9d2tyo2_1280.png]
The whole family!
...the mother and father have dark hair and their kids have recessive genes showing. At least the kids have their mother's eyes?

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - Shoshopu - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 01:40 AM)Kage Wrote: I found someone's screenshots of the Lalafell family I was talking about.

[big ol screenshots]

The whole family!
...the mother and father have dark hair and their kids have recessive genes showing. At least the kids have their mother's eyes?

They do kinda have that youthful, feathery Precious Moments hair going on (I don't know if that's just a crappy southern-US thing or not but that's what the hairstyle the son has always reminded me of), perhaps that's what they were going for.

Would this be a bad moment to shamelessly insert my character's family tree (in a link so as to have mercy on those with internets as poor as mine)? I'd like to think it's a decent example of how to make a range of ages, particularly older lalafell. The parents might still not look like they're in their late 40's/early 50's but they definitely look older than their children. Like Lilia said, it's in the details, like the eyes (though graying the hair doesn't hurt).

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - Flickering Ember - 07-30-2015

I don't think we know what lalafell children look like since there aren't any in the game. It is just like how we don't really know what roegadyn children look like since they aren't in the game either. 

Therefore, all the lalafells we see in game are adults, including the children of the lalafell family.

Males of each race aside from lalafell have at least one face option that is at least middle age looking. Though a good way to make a male lalafell look older is their facial hair options.
The female characters all look forever young, though. And I suppose trying to discern if a female lalafell is going through menopause is much like trying to make any other female character look the same.

Au Ra, Miqo'te, and Midlander females all look like teenagers to me. There is no facial option that looks significantly older on any of them. To me, that is. Female highlanders look like they are in their early 20's. Female elezen look late 20's. Female roegadyn look late 20's to early 30's. (Which is being a little generous but hey)

My overall point: Difficulty trying to tell adult ages in lalafells is pretty much the same as every other race: a handful of older options to make older males and everyone else looks 15-25.

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - Shoshopu - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 11:46 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote: I don't think we know what lalafell children look like since there aren't any in the game. It is just like how we don't really know what roegadyn children look like since they aren't in the game either. 

Although the proportions between Lalafell and Tarutaru are rather substantially different (and Roegadyn and Galka to a lesser extent, but aside from the missing tail I think it's more of an art style change than a design change), I think the examples of FFXI children would be a decent model to base them off of... for headcanons and fanart and what have you.
[Image: FFXI_chaaarrge.png?token=RKR7MbtgY7aaQvhiRtP4mrHnBJ8%3D]
[Image: Geebeh.jpg]
galka kids are just too cute asdfghjk

Quote:Therefore, all the lalafells we see in game are adults, including the children of the lalafell family.

Probably, yes. That's my thought. They look slightly younger than the parents if you're reaching (like I was with the hair) but they're probably still adults. It's the parents that look too young, not the children that look too old. They're called daughter/son, so there's nothing indicating they're supposed to be children (unless I'm remembering wrong).

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - Kage - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 12:20 PM)Shoshopu Wrote:
(07-30-2015, 11:46 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote: Therefore, all the lalafells we see in game are adults, including the children of the lalafell family.

Probably, yes. That's my thought. They look slightly younger than the parents if you're reaching (like I was with the hair) but they're probably still adults. It's the parents that look too young, not the children that look too old. They're called daughter/son, so there's nothing indicating they're supposed to be children (unless I'm remembering wrong).

Indeed, as I said before there's nothing in the dialogue to indicate the offspring's age.

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - Lilia Lia - 07-30-2015

In the Gold Saucer, near one of the staircases in Event Square (I believe), there's a Hyur child NPC and a Lalafell NPC who are bickering with one another.  It seems as though the two of them are in trouble for something.

Proportionally the Lalafell is "adult" but the context seems to be implying she's a child.  Either that or an adult and a child were playing some game that got them into trouble.

I'll try to take screen captures when I get home.

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - Terra - 07-30-2015

In the Uldahn 1-15 MSQ there is an NPC Lalafell called a child when you are asked to give cookies to the starving children hanging around the coffer and coffin. This Lalafell child is full grown by PC standards.

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - D'aito Kuji - 07-31-2015

(07-28-2015, 03:17 AM)Zyrusticae Wrote: ...And IF Lalafell can tell, the only possible ways would be through telepathy or maybe scent, because there are literally no physically discerning factors that give it away.

This is my head canon, that older Lalafell smell different.  Not in like a corpse-y way but just different, like cedar maybe.  It might be so subtle that only Miqo'te can smell the difference but maybe anyone can if they knew there was a difference.

Personally, I don't mind that Miqo'te don't discernibly age.  Not that the Miqo'te are "cat people" more so than "people who just happen to look a bit like cats" but looking at pictures of my cats from 10 years ago, the only difference I can see is that they are all fatter.

(In my own head, I do tend to RP Miqo'te as significantly more tethered to actual cat behaviors.  It's just more fun for me that way. )

I think it would be fun if the Miqo'te got fatter as they aged.

RE: Discerning Lalafel Age - Gegenji - 08-03-2015

(07-31-2015, 02:46 PM)D'aito Kuji Wrote: I think it would be fun if the Miqo'te got fatter as they aged.

Conspiracy theory: Miqo'te elders BECOME Fat Cats.

Also, I would assume it would be easier to display older Lalafell as NPCs and as players if the character designer was a little more in-depth and allowed for wrinkles and the like.