Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community (/showthread.php?tid=12674)

Pages: 1 2

Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Ekidna - 07-22-2015

Hello to all of you!
I'm currently playing with friends on Cerberus but the least I can say is that RP here is...dead. And not quite interesting.
I've heard that Balmung was the unofficial RP servor and that the community there was so active that every night you can find open world RP at places like Uldah.

I would definately do a transfer on Balmung if you would confirm that this is true, as I'm a heavy rper for years now.
What kind of RP can we find there? (I mean...I hate erorp, I want to learn about the lore and focus on the epicness of the game, so I thought I should ask).  Are there many FC doing rp events ? Is the community open to newcomers?
As I'll do a transfer, I don't really want to struggle to find rpers and be integrated to the community. I really enjoy talking randomly to the rpers I cross in the game, it can be sometimes very interesting. I've met so much good friends like this ^^
Would you say that the RP is still very lively and active? Or is there a better servor than Balmung?

Concerning myself...I've played and I've done RP on swtor for 2 years and some month on guild wars 2.
IRL I've been doing RPG in associations for about 7 years, mastering Little Fears, Cthulhu, Don't rest your head and Patient 13. 

English is not my native language but I think I can manage (and learn) to do RP. I hope it won't be a problem (but I could justify my mystakes by playing a stranger, after all). 

I hope you will be able to answer my questions and, if so, I really hope to meet you all and have a great fun doing rp with you guys = )

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-22-2015

Hello! Balmung is indeed very active on the RP scene.

It's my first time RPing in a game, and I got into it just by talking to people I saw RPing. Generally every night there are at least 30-40 people in hotspots like the Quicksand.

Other areas like Ishgard, Limsa, and Gridania, usually have 10-15 or more. RP FCs and players hold frequent open world events that are advertised. For example the Grindstone is a public fighting tournament held every Saturday for almost two years now.

In short, yes there is lots of open world RP, and I think you'd enjoy it here.

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Ekidna - 07-22-2015

Thank you for your kind reply, it is very helpful ^^
Balmung seems to be a real paradise for RPers! 
At what time do rpers usually play on Balmung?

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Edda - 07-22-2015

(07-22-2015, 03:18 PM)Ekidna Wrote: Thank you for your kind reply, it is very helpful ^^
Balmung seems to be a real paradise for RPers! 
At what time do rpers usually play on Balmung?
There are both NA and EU populations on Balmung, so there will always be people out and about for RP, no matter what time you play.

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Ekidna - 07-22-2015

That's probably the best news I've heard today ^^
Well, I'm absolutly enthousiastic about it.
I'll probably transfer my main character there then, hoping to meet as many people as possible.

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Sig - 07-22-2015

(07-22-2015, 03:46 PM)Ekidna Wrote: That's probably the best news I've heard today ^^
Well, I'm absolutly enthousiastic about it.
I'll probably transfer my main character there then, hoping to meet as many people as possible.

You're making a great choice -- I haven't seen a better RP community on an MMORPG in a really, really long time.  The Quicksand and other areas have tons of great open world RP.  RP'ers can be found at all manner of hours. The posters above accurately summarize the large amount of open world RP available.  It is well worth the cost of a transfer!  

Based on your character description and forum posts, feel free to send me a message in-game an invite to a linkshell that I believe your character may fit quite nicely into!  --- Amesoeurs

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Aris - 07-22-2015

Look forward to seeing you!
I'm also a Cerberus transfer, and haven't regret it. The community is incredibly welcoming to newcomers, so you'll fit right in. Smile

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Virella - 07-22-2015

Coming from Cerberus myself as an EU player, I did not regret making the jump. However do keep in mind if you happen to want to raid still, you may be better off making an alt on Balmung!

If you wanna focus on RP, go for it and jump with your main to Balmung Smile

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Ekidna - 07-23-2015

(07-22-2015, 07:50 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Coming from Cerberus myself as an EU player, I did not regret making the jump. However do keep in mind if you happen to want to raid still, you may be better off making an alt on Balmung!

Thanks for the replies =)
Why is it problematic concerning the raids?
I'm not really fond of raiding and pve but I do enjoy raiding from time to time, and as I'm new on FF (2 months only), I still have a lot of pve things to complete.

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Jerciex - 07-23-2015

Welcome to Balmung once you will be able to transfer ^^

And I think there is no need to worry about raiding.  For example, our FC has members all around world/timezones, but we are always able to help eachother. So raids have never been problem really ^^ Only thing that might cause problems is get "Static-group", but it is not my thing.. I prefer to sit in Canopy, enjoy tea, read book, check out new people to RP with than do static run Tongue

But I promise you won't regret transferring over! Oh and don't forget friends with you ^^

I will not come alone : )
That's very reassuring. You have all convinced me and I just can't wait to transfer now ! ^__^
I'm a bit like you, I'm not looking especially for a static group and will gladly enjoy meeting new people.
The only thing I may regret is not being able to attend the events - unless I connect on saturday at 5 or 6am XD (I might be crazy enough to do that one time XD)

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Virella - 07-23-2015

(07-23-2015, 06:40 AM)Ekidna Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 07:50 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Coming from Cerberus myself as an EU player, I did not regret making the jump. However do keep in mind if you happen to want to raid still, you may be better off making an alt on Balmung!

Thanks for the replies =)
Why is it problematic concerning the raids?
I'm not really fond of raiding and pve but I do enjoy raiding from time to time, and as I'm new on FF (2 months only), I still have a lot of pve things to complete.
Raid times if you plan onto playing EU times. I haven't found that many EU statics recruiting, if any, from the few times I glanced over party finder.

However if you do not mind playing late at night, or early mornings, it shouldn't be a problem Smile

But that is really for die hard end game raiding! The things you cannot do trough duty finder, so I doubt it will be of any concern to you from reading your post ^^

Thanks for the explanations ^^
Well, it shouldn't be a problem indeed : )

RE: Hello, I'm looking for an open world RP community - Nebbs - 07-23-2015

Balmung is an active community, it may not be all paradise.. that's life and RP, but there is enough people RPing that you can find something to suit.

I know several people who have transferred and all seem happy with the choice.

There are FCs of many varieties as well as LSs for RPers and also for RP. I can't think that any other server would be better.

I would say make an alt but that's not so easy.

[Edit] and there is a large EU presence. I'm in the UK but there are many from rest of Europe and non-native English folks.

My friend have been trying to create a new character for 3 days, connecting at random hours (2am, 7am, 8pm), but it's full.
I think we will transfer and avoid this problem. You've been so much to say that Balmung was the perfect place to RP. It will always be better than my current community, so I've nothing to lose by paying a transfer.

It's great that there's so much people, EU and not Eu folks, that are interesting in RP together   =)

I've seen the creenshots of some of the events held by the community, and that's really impressive. I'm eager to attend one of these. It seems to be so much fun ^^