Hydaelyn Role-Players
Patch 3.05 Notes - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Patch 3.05 Notes (/showthread.php?tid=12664)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - LiadansWhisper - 07-24-2015

(07-23-2015, 03:18 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: That said, I can definitely appreciate the frustration of the whole thing. Games should never be work. Ever.

Not everyone subscribes to that, tho!  Lots of people adore grinds, or they like hard stuff that's hard and requires a lot of wiping.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - X'nath - 07-25-2015

So, one of my FC members pointed out something rather simple with the so-called Eso grind. Literally, do your expert once a day, at least 6 days of the week. That's it. You'll have your 450 cap literally off that. Just leaving that there for people to think on as well since a lot of us probably just want the actual things and can deal with getting dye'able versions later on. XD.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - Cato - 07-25-2015

Although not everybody enjoys a grind I think to some extent they're a necessity. MMO's can only provide so much content - and so keeping people invested through long term projects is a successful business practice.

I'm not an expert on crafting by any means but I imagine the developers aren't all that keen on having individual players able to do everything on a single character and then effectively control major portions of a server's economy.

I also believe that they assume the average player will take a break from the game after indulging in a patch's content and return in time for the next content patch.

Anyone who is raiding is going to be indulging in a 'grind'. Crafters and gatherers also have a 'grind' - but that is, in my eyes, something that makes sense. It's a lot more in-depth in this game than in other MMO's I've played so 'gating' stuff just seems logical.

In due time they'll likely ease the requirements to prevent people falling behind too much.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - Kellach Woods - 07-25-2015

The problem is that grinding is not difficult. I personally like overcoming challenges, learning things... All of which grinding simply doesn't do.

Which is probably why I'm more focused on getting all-60 rather than actually grinding something out. Sure, I could just WAR myself up something fierce - I like to think I'm competent enough that I could easily smash through most of the game's higher challenges (as much as I say I'm bad at video games).

However, in order to get to that level, I'd need to do content on a specific class until I'm sick of it (and that class). That doesn't sit well with me at the moment. 

RNG is also a poorer replacement for straight grinding, btw.

Also, they're going to realize they set a too high barrier of entry to crafting end-game, like last time, and they'll nerf it around patch 3.2 or something.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - Zyrusticae - 07-26-2015

(07-25-2015, 10:27 PM)Xnath Wrote: So, one of my FC members pointed out something rather simple with the so-called Eso grind. Literally, do your expert once a day, at least 6 days of the week. That's it. You'll have your 450 cap literally off that. Just leaving that there for people to think on as well since a lot of us probably just want the actual things and can deal with getting dye'able versions later on. XD.
Um, yeah, that's exactly how it worked in 2.0.

The problem is that I've already done that. For months. I've run literally every dungeon in the entire game into the ground at this point. There's nothing interesting or fun about running the same bloody thing 6 times a week. At that point, it's become work and not play.

I think they badly need to rethink their whole tomestone structure. Give some tomestones for doing, I don't know, literally anything so I have options instead of running the exact same two dungeons I've ALREADY run to complete death when I was gearing up with Law. (The 5 Esoterics for running the leveling roulette is particularly insulting. Really? Really, really?)

They also need to price their items on the assumption that players will be gearing up more than just a single class at a time. What's the point of the armory system if they never use it? That's something that's always puzzled me about their progression design. Always just the one class, and you're not allowed to mess with others. I can't help but wonder if retention numbers would be improved if players could gear up, say, three jobs at a time at a decent clip, to improve variety in gameplay and let people mess around with their roles a bit.

At any rate, I've exhausted the content in the game, so at this point I have to ask myself whether or not I am really enjoying this and whether or not it is worth my time. The revelation that I could be so much more productive if I didn't subscribe to the daily grind forced me to step back a bit and reevaluate my decisions. I've put an embarrassing amount of time into the game as-is, and it's about time I did something less... pointless.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - LiadansWhisper - 07-27-2015

(07-26-2015, 06:19 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(07-25-2015, 10:27 PM)X Wrote: So, one of my FC members pointed out something rather simple with the so-called Eso grind. Literally, do your expert once a day, at least 6 days of the week. That's it. You'll have your 450 cap literally off that. Just leaving that there for people to think on as well since a lot of us probably just want the actual things and can deal with getting dye'able versions later on. XD.
Um, yeah, that's exactly how it worked in 2.0.

The problem is that I've already done that. For months. I've run literally every dungeon in the entire game into the ground at this point. There's nothing interesting or fun about running the same bloody thing 6 times a week. At that point, it's become work and not play.

I think they badly need to rethink their whole tomestone structure. Give some tomestones for doing, I don't know, literally anything so I have options instead of running the exact same two dungeons I've ALREADY run to complete death when I was gearing up with Law. (The 5 Esoterics for running the leveling roulette is particularly insulting. Really? Really, really?)

They also need to price their items on the assumption that players will be gearing up more than just a single class at a time. What's the point of the armory system if they never use it? That's something that's always puzzled me about their progression design. Always just the one class, and you're not allowed to mess with others. I can't help but wonder if retention numbers would be improved if players could gear up, say, three jobs at a time at a decent clip, to improve variety in gameplay and let people mess around with their roles a bit.

At any rate, I've exhausted the content in the game, so at this point I have to ask myself whether or not I am really enjoying this and whether or not it is worth my time. The revelation that I could be so much more productive if I didn't subscribe to the daily grind forced me to step back a bit and reevaluate my decisions. I've put an embarrassing amount of time into the game as-is, and it's about time I did something less... pointless.

It's pointless to you because the gear doesn't do anything or you other than look pretty (although if it's so pointless, I do wonder why you even bother grinding it, and why you care about it in the first place).  It isn't pointless to people who are using that gear as a springboard towards further progression.

The fact is, the game is designed - and quite deliberately so - to be a gear grind.  That is how they differentiate the different tiers, and that is how they keep the new content "interesting" to players who have already farmed the hell out of current content.

This is literally how every raid-focused MMO works.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - Zyrusticae - 07-28-2015

(07-27-2015, 06:04 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: It's pointless to you because the gear doesn't do anything or you other than look pretty (although if it's so pointless, I do wonder why you even bother grinding it, and why you care about it in the first place).  It isn't pointless to people who are using that gear as a springboard towards further progression.

The fact is, the game is designed - and quite deliberately so - to be a gear grind.  That is how they differentiate the different tiers, and that is how they keep the new content "interesting" to players who have already farmed the hell out of current content.

Uh, yes, I know. This isn't news to me. I've been around, you know.

Doing it all over again in Heavensward just made it that much more obvious how staid the design actually is. I do enjoy getting my numbers up (hence why I parse myself and try to top the DPS charts even though I don't do progression content), but that's on the assumption that the content itself is actually enjoyable on some level. Sadly, the game's combat isn't enough on its own to carry the rather meager content, especially in the 4-man dungeons where the most difficult thing is trying not to tall asleep after the umpteenth time running them.

I feel like they just need to re-prioritize figuring out how to keep the content fresh over the long haul. Whether that means more random or procedural elements, or a rethink as to how they handle casual content in the game, I don't know. But something's got to give. I'm sure there's still a decent contingent of players who are happy to just keep chasing carrots all day long, but the rest of the player base needs something more.

And yes, I know RPing is an option. It's hard, though. It's hard to get back into it after a long hiatus, not knowing where my character is or what direction I even want to take her in. Not knowing who's actually interested, who is compatible with my style, where to go to find it that isn't The Quicksand, etc., etc., etc. Admittedly, I've become more and more of a recluse over time and I'm just not finding it in myself to try to 'fix' that.

So, I dnno. I guess I'm done... again. It's embarrassing that I took something of a three-month break, only to go back on it after a single month of expansion binging. I swear I'm not trying to make a habit of it or anything. That's just how the cookie crumbles, I guess.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - Oli! - 07-28-2015

(07-27-2015, 06:04 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: The fact is, the game is designed - and quite deliberately so - to be a gear grind.  That is how they differentiate the different tiers, and that is how they keep the new content "interesting" to players who have already farmed the hell out of current content.

[Image: Medium_phoenix_wright_objection_.gif]

It's worth noting that there are games out there that get people to raid by playing up the challenge and making them really hard, which some people enjoy. WildStar was the most recent to do this, though it did end up not doing so well financially, which may or may not say something about how people feel about this sort of switch-up.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - Aris - 07-28-2015

Another tip for Eso tomes is to do the trial and PvP roulettes. Most trials take under ten minutes and PvP is usually about 12 minutes per match. I've found they help ease up the repetitivity of doing ex roulette and I don't have to do it every day either. Smile

The new Seal Rock PvP is pretty fun, queues are shorter especially around NA prime time. Really recommend giving it a go for easy tomes if you haven't tried it, you might find you enjoy it! Big Grin

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - Kage - 07-28-2015

The devs are currently looking into hiding the visual effects of darkside aura.

Anyway! Hotfixes!

FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfixes (Jul. 28, 2015)
The following adjustments have been made:

・The total number of items awarded from treasure coffers in “Alexander: Gordias” has been increased from 2 to 4.

・The following item names have been changed:
 - Titanium Armor of Fending → Adamantite Armor of Fending
 - Titanium Armor of Maiming → Adamantite Armor of Maiming
 - Holy Rainbow Cap of Casting → Rainbow Cap of Casting
 - Holy Ramie Cloth → Hallowed Ramie Cloth

The following issues have been addressed:

・An issue in “Thok ast Thok (Extreme)” wherein Ravana would stop performing actions under certain conditions.

・An issue with the marauder action “Vengeance” wherein the damage reduction effect would be overwritten by certain debuffs used by certain enemies.

・An issue in “Seal Rock (Seize)” wherein a player would sometimes be placed in the starting area of a rival Grand Company.

・An issue wherein the Idyllshire NPC "Splendors Vendor" could exchange the following items with the "Fieldcraft Items" option:
- Traders' Favor (Azys Lla)
- Matron's Favor (Azys Lla)
 * If you have already purchased these items, please read the following notice: http://sqex.to/H3d

・An issue wherein the unsheathing sound effect did not play for the following equipment:
- Gordian Greatsword
- Gordian Musketoon
- Gordian Astrometer

・An issue wherein using the link feature in the chat window with the "Opal Bracelets of Casting" would display the item name incorrectly.

・An issue wherein the PvP rank requirement was still listed on the tooltips for the item level 100 and 110 PvP-specific gear.

Biggest thing: Favors as well as Alex NM giving 4 tokens instead of 2.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - Gegenji - 07-28-2015

So it'd (hopefully) take only two runs per to get a drop for a premade group instead of four? That's definitely an improvement. Kinda wish it had been in place back when I was banging my head on it instead of afterward. Laugh

I've hit the point of "I don't care" about Alexander actually >_<;

But it makes it easier for those casual statics or those who have been trying to gear for Savage and have had bad RNG.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - Gegenji - 07-28-2015

Right, I did too, which is a shame that this change dropped after I hit that point. Having (likely) not had to do as many runs as I did for a crank or a lens - or just a drop in general - might've extended my overall interest in Alexander NM. Rather than last week me being "okay, I'm finishing what I have and then never going in there again."

I hit the point where I went "Eh I'll just use the welfare tomes" because my luck went to either Bad Rolls or Bad Groups.

RE: Patch 3.05 Notes - LiadansWhisper - 07-28-2015

(07-28-2015, 03:37 AM)Oli! Wrote:
(07-27-2015, 06:04 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: The fact is, the game is designed - and quite deliberately so - to be a gear grind.  That is how they differentiate the different tiers, and that is how they keep the new content "interesting" to players who have already farmed the hell out of current content.

[Image: Medium_phoenix_wright_objection_.gif]

It's worth noting that there are games out there that get people to raid by playing up the challenge and making them really hard, which some people enjoy. WildStar was the most recent to do this, though it did end up not doing so well financially, which may or may not say something about how people feel about this sort of switch-up.

Considering how that turned out, I'm not sure I'd use that as an example, but perhaps I should have phrased it as, "Every successful raid-focused MMO."  >.>