Hydaelyn Role-Players
Pertaining to FFXIV lore... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Pertaining to FFXIV lore... (/showthread.php?tid=12621)

Pertaining to FFXIV lore... - Bosutar - 07-16-2015

...where would a complete newbie to the game start? n.n;

I just bought the game about, oh, three days ago. Never played it before. I have -some- Final Fantasy gaming experience but nothing like this. Since I'm very excited to get into the RP community (started on Jenova because it was an open realm, but I might swap to Balmung once I get into the game more?) I was hoping you guys might be able to help me figure some things out! 

I decided to make an Au Ra from the Xaela tribe- what does that entail from an In-Character standpoint? Any useful links I could find on their lore, where there from, what it means to be Xaela other than warring tribes?

I have it in mind for her to become either a paladin or a white mage- would either of these work well with an Au Ra; where would they get their training, or would they be welcomed to actually train within the Guilds at this point?

Guess you could say I'm just a bit lost overall where to start on figuring out the Lore and Roleplay of this game, especially pertaining to Au Ras n.n; I'm still sitting on Jenova, (Bosutar Ste'ile is the name) if anyone who Roleplays there wants to poke me in-game, but I heard the main servers were Balmung and Gilgemesh?

TL;DR: Hello community; I'm new to the game! Any pointers on Au Ra Lore and roleplay? Big Grin

RE: Pertaining to FFXIV lore... - Hyrist - 07-16-2015

Well, as a Zaela, you've got a nice start. We'll begin here.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/63112-Race-Naming-Conventions?p=3039574&viewfull=1#post3039574

These are the naming conventions for Au Ra. Awesome thing about this is, these naming conventions also list backgrounds of the top 50ish tribes for the Zaela, so that right there will help you on a background of where your character COULD come from.

Keep in mind that most Au Ra have shown up in Eorzea as refugees and as such recently. They have not, as a whole, been received well by the local populaces of Eorzea (to the point of being initially abused vocally, physically, and even killed by Ishgardian military that mistook them for Dragon Kin) However Adventurer populations is a mixed bag of course, because it's the players who tend to write the bulk of adventurer lore.

The more open areas that would be accepting to them are Idyllshire, and Revenant's Toll ,as these make their economy based off of adventuring and accepting all types. The major four city-states however have been a touch slow to adapt.

Other than that, your story is your own. Build what you like and don't be afraid to talk it out with someone to make sure it's comfortable with your level of adherence to lore and finding a group that will accept your rping style and be willing to work with you.

RE: Pertaining to FFXIV lore... - Bosutar - 07-16-2015

Thanks so much for the Naming Conventions post! I had no idea how in-depth it was about the clan names. I'm glad I chose Xaela though- they seem mighty interesting reading through the descriptions of the list! I'll be sure to figure something about for my character's name once I get her into roleplay n.n;

RE: Pertaining to FFXIV lore... - Griffith! - 07-16-2015

It's not canon lore, but it is a useful resource for Xaela, just because it gives a rough overview of the cultures that inspired them: my thread, Xaela: A Headcanon. Feel free to use or disregard anything there. I use most of it myself, although I have thus far avoided using most of the actual Mongolian terms, like khan.

RE: Pertaining to FFXIV lore... - Bosutar - 07-16-2015

Love the post! I'm really liking this mongolian style that's embraced with the Xaela; when I first heard of Au Ra I thought they -all- were sort of inspired by the Japanese. Though this makes more sense with the tribes and all that they'd be inspired from Mongolian lore.

Thanks a bunch with this info; it's so much easier creating a character's concept and persona when you're able to get a better concept on what they likely grew up around and their environment Big Grin

RE: Pertaining to FFXIV lore... - Alkaid - 07-16-2015

I just started recently myself, so it's nice to know I'm not alone as a newbie here! Most of what I've gotten has just been from finalfantasy.wikia.com and piecing together things from the in-game quests (around level 30 now).

As far as I understand it, Paladins are personal guards of the Ul'dah royal family and White Mages are an ancient extinct order that brought upon one of the Umbral Eras in their war with the Black Mages. Now I'm no expert but if Au Ra are new to Eorzea I'm not sure how well one would work with those jobs.