Hydaelyn Role-Players
Slavery in Eorzea - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Slavery in Eorzea (/showthread.php?tid=12589)

Pages: 1 2

Slavery in Eorzea - Alkaid - 07-14-2015

Hey there guys, even if I'm not on an RP server I still like to come up with a backstory for my characters, even if it's just for my own enjoyment of the game and no one ever really learns it. So in that regard, I have a question!

I'm still rather new to the game and getting to know the world, but I recall in an early Rogue quest you halt some of the slave trade in La Noscea. And that got me thinking, just how common is slavery in Eorzea? Now obviously there's some in La Noscea, since as I said there was a quest to stop it, but elsewhere? Ul'dah in particular seems like the kind of place that'd have it.

Do any quests besides the Rogue line deal with slavery?

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - LiadansWhisper - 07-14-2015

The Arcanist questline deals with the the slave trade in passing.

I honestly can't recall another class or Job quest that does, however.

Oh, wait, it's mentioned in passing in the Astrologian questline.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Tumensuns - 07-14-2015

I'm guessing for the most part slavery in Eorzean lands is a bit illegal, so we don't see too much of it. I'm guessing in other lands it'd be a bit more common place, otherwise there wouldn't be much of a slave trade.

Though that wouldn't necessarily stop a wealthy Ul'dahn from owning a slave secretly, or stopping a pirate band based around La Noscea either.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Zhavi - 07-14-2015

I'm willing to be (in)voluntary indentured servitude is a thing, too. Little bit easier to pass off as legal if someone is just "working off" a debt. Forcibly.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Oroban - 07-14-2015

The Thaumaturge guildmaster from 1.0 is turned into a slave gladiator for his shenanigans pre-ARR, that much is evident. They touch on it in the Postmoogle quests, as well as featuring him as the boss of Halatali Hard Mode.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Corelyn - 07-14-2015

There's also a good deal of slave-trade mention and focus in the Rogue quests. It is certainly frowned upon, though highly prevalent by the sound of things.

It's very much an underworld activity, but seems to be overlooked in "less scrupulous" places like Ul'dah, whereas somewhere like Limsa Lominsa actually has the Yellowjackets or Rogues' Guild actively flush and snuff it out where possible.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Verad - 07-14-2015

There's some passing commentary in the Golden Saucer about a parent selling his children to work in the mines for a few months until the parent can pay off his debts.

Based on that, I'd argue that apart from outright slavery, there's also a kind of quite-legal debt slavery employed in Ul'dah. Can't pay your bills? No problem, just work it off. Forever.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Alkaid - 07-14-2015

Thanks for the responses, guys. While obviously it was illegal and underworld, I just wanted to be sure it wasn't exceedingly rare. Sounds like it's not

Wasn't the leader of the Immortal Flames a slave before fighting his way to freedom in the ring, or was he something else? Huh

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Blue - 07-14-2015

You can also see an Ul'dahn richman in Pearl Lane looking for slaves, too. He complains the highlanders there are all too old.

The Vann family was captured and enslaved, and I know of many other RPers who delve into slavetrading or being slaves themselves, so it's definitely a thing.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - allgivenover - 07-14-2015

I forget which quest talked about it, it might have been a seasonal quest? Anyway the WoL liberated some captives from slavers, it was said several of those captives were intended to be sold into sexual slavery.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Jana - 07-14-2015

The slavery being mentioned in relation to Gladiators is a sort of voluntary enslavement given as an option to criminals in prison; I believe the term for such a fighter was a Noxious. There are plenty of voluntary Gladiators who fight for coin and prestige, Raubahn having been one.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Blue - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 05:31 PM)allgivenover Wrote: I forget which quest talked about it, it might have been a seasonal quest? Anyway the WoL liberated some captives from slavers, it was said several of those captives were intended to be sold into sexual slavery.

I think that's the Rogue lv15 quest, actually, and yeah.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Sylentmana - 07-15-2015

Slavery seems to exist in Eorzea but its considered to be illegal and slavers are considered to be the lowest of the low. That being said, there are only a few quests that actually deal with the issue, as far as I can remember. 

The Rogues Guild has a quest where you take down a group of slavers and the major story behind the Arcanists Guild is helping Assessor K'lyhia take down an infamous slaver who had been exiled from Limsa for his crimes. She was also a former slave and was heavily abused by this man.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - Mayu - 07-15-2015

I also hear a lot about the pleasure barges - *shudder* - like in the AST storyline. They are mentioned in passing a lot. About kidnapping women and selling them to the pleasure barges. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

RE: Slavery in Eorzea - D'aito Kuji - 07-16-2015

In Costa del Sol, there's a somewhat unpleasant Lalafell named Gegeruju who sends you on a quest to track down late or missing dancing girls.  I came away with the impression that their contract may not have been especially fair to them.  It felt like indentured servitude, I suppose.  But I may be reading a lot into that interaction.

Anyway, I have RP'd that something akin to this happened (not necessarily Gegeruju) and D'aito still feels bad for turning them over.