Hydaelyn Role-Players
neat thing I noticed about keeper males! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: neat thing I noticed about keeper males! (/showthread.php?tid=12577)

neat thing I noticed about keeper males! - Naoh'ra - 07-14-2015

BLM questline minor spoilers below, won't go into too much detail other than 1 characters name, but no plot points.

So while doing the BLM 50+ quests, I noticed that one of the main NPC's who is a keeper male was never referred to as just his first name, Zhai'a, but instead as his full Zhai'a Nelhah! Lalai always referred to him with the first and last name, and I got to thinking 'what if that's how all keeper men are referred to as, with first and last names' and it would make sense.

The fact that their names are constructed with their mothers full name, with a prefex at the end of the first to differentiate between sons, it would make sense that when others speak of them/get their attention (unless they were really close and it would be obvious who this person was referring to) it would be more clear to say their full name.

Referring to him simple as Zhai'a is just saying first son of Zhai-- who? Gamduhla? Yandii? Who Zhai is such a common name!

However when you say Zhai'a Nelhah, there is no mistaking he is the first son of Zhai Nelhah!

I just thought it stood out to me how Lalai never only referred to Zhai'a as just Zhai'a, but instead by his full name Zhai'a Nelhah!

Feel free to dispute, it was just a loose observation and thought, also there aren't many keeper NPC's to go on (that I remember having names, I know there was the companion in the wanderer's palace HM quest, and the informant (I think) for the gold saucer but I can't remember if they were given names.).

So yeah! Thought I would share that little finding, and would love to hear more, or just get more information around this topic that's either confirming this is a thing, or disputing it as something not done. Thanks!

RE: neat thing I noticed about keeper males! - Jana - 07-14-2015

If Jana had a son, the unfortunate boy's name would be Jana'a Ridah.
good thing she's gay

It does make sense, in the same way that one of the Lalafel clans has their full name used to address their males. I don't actually remember any other times in the game that a Keeper male NPC is called by name though; only other Keeper males that come to mind are the Coeurlclaw King, whom I don't think goes by a given name in the Postmoogle quest he shows up in, and the Keeper from the Allied Beast Tribes Ultimate Funtime Quest, Nhaza'a Jaab, who I'm pretty sure does go by his full name... A quick check of the quest log entries seems to confirm it, though it'd be best to watch the cutscenes again to make sure.

RE: neat thing I noticed about keeper males! - Naoh'ra - 07-14-2015

oh interesting I don't think I've come across him at all! (also ha jana'a the poor child Tongue ) I'll look into finding Nhaza'a!

RE: neat thing I noticed about keeper males! - Jana - 07-14-2015

The quest chain he appears in is only accessible by completing all of the beast tribes' reputation quests, so it can take a really long time to unlock yourself. I found the cutscenes on YouTube, and Nhaza'a Jaab's only referred to by name once... But it is is full name. Unfortunately, xivdb doesn't seem to have the full text of the quest, so I can't check that.

(Spoilers for Beast Tribe stuff, and also kinda NSFW?)
Show Content

RE: neat thing I noticed about keeper males! - Naoh'ra - 07-14-2015

Oh thanks so much! I'll definitely look at the video.
Even if he's only mentioned by name once it was still his full name, so maybe my theory has some backing since it's not only 1 place I've seen it so far Big Grin

RE: neat thing I noticed about keeper males! - Mountie - 07-14-2015

Interesting indeed! Thankfully Riordyn doesn't have to worry about this, since he has his own name that he gave himself. But it would be interesting to know for the implications behind RP'ing with more traditional Keeper Males.

RE: neat thing I noticed about keeper males! - Naoh'ra - 07-25-2015

Update because I noticed something today with the quests

Seems that when referring to a keeper of the moon male, you would say his full name to another person, but when directly referring to him, it would be ok to just say his first name!

"Have you seen Zhai'a Nelhah?"
or "Zhai'a, glad you're here!"