Hydaelyn Role-Players
New-ish-returnee - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New-ish-returnee (/showthread.php?tid=12357)

New-ish-returnee - Felka - 07-01-2015

Hi Coalition, 

I'm Felka, returning to FFXIV (or at least trying to) after connection issues prompted me to abandon the world twice for about a year each time it happened.
As such I've heavily lost connection with my two current characters and don't recall any of the RP backing I'd given either. 

With the introduction of the Au Ra.. I'd very much like to start fresh as one and as a different starting class, however it would seem getting into Balmung is even harder than it used to be. Was up very late last night hoping to get in right after maintenance but to my surprise Bal and Gig were both still locked out. 

My preference would be Balmung as I have some friends who are active there, was hoping someone might have some tips towards getting in.. I'd thought of Fantasia-ing one of my older characters yet.. perhaps oddly.. doing so to me feels kind'a like killing them and such doesn't sit well with me lol. 

So a bit about me, I'm 26, F, Lesbian, living in Canada's beautiful West Coast of British Columbia. Have been Roleplaying in a online sense since around 13 or 14.. starting out on Gaia of all forums lol then finding a really sweet "Muck" client community.. once I got a better laptop I of course started to branch out to other means such as Ragnarok Online and Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst then to Second Life after High School.

Having PTSD I don't "work" in a normal sense but I do the occasional rare programming contract here an there in Second Life.. it's more of a hobby that I have a love/hate relationship with lol the language is unique to SL and there isn't any real "School" for it. Been trying to learn how to make 3D objects in Blender as well to sell in said program but tis very much a steep learning curve.

Anyhow, a friend of mine went off her rocker an gifted me the Heaven Sword CE digital pack and a month of time, so I'd very much like to try an get back into the world.. I miss it quite a lot and if my connection proves to hold this time around I hope to stay for quite a long time.

Speaking of which in terms of character I do have some ideas, a Raen being a bit more scholarly/R&D type-ish, engineering inclined perhaps.. I hope to start her off as an Arcanist.
and if all things go well.. I would very much like to eventually experience as much the world has to offer in terms of classes/jobs maybe even a little house somewhere.. though I hear getting one of those is easier on a lower populated server..  

So thats me and my little story.
Nice to meet you.
~Felka

RE: New-ish-returnee - Maril - 07-01-2015

Welcome back to FFXIV and the RPC Smile 

Balmung is very hard to get into, both Balmung and Gilgamesh are the most populated servers on the NA cluster. Beyond fantasiaing and namechanging, you could also roll a character on another server and transfer it to Balmung - Transfers are not affected by the server lock. The catches with it is that it of course costs money, but also that you have to wait until the character is 3 days old before it'll let you pick it for transfer. 
We had someone transfering in just a couple of days ago Smile

RE: New-ish-returnee - Felka - 07-01-2015

Thank you Blush

Found RPC while looking for better RP resources and information, FFXIV is the only FF game I've ever played myself.

Oh wow I wasn't aware you could do that, from the info I had found on loadstone it sounded like transfers to Character creation locked servers was prevented. If thats not the case then I'll definitely try that root. Big Grin

Would be much more preferred than.. staying up till nearly 4am clicking the little refresh on the in-game character server select list every three or four min Frustrated lol.

And that would give me more time to figure out my Raen's background an personality an such.

~Felka

RE: New-ish-returnee - Martiallais - 07-01-2015

Welcome back again!

I have to agree, it is definitely (money aside) a bit less of a pain to wait out the three days and then server transfer. I actually did the same thing myself just last week. Smile 

That aside, take a look around and get comfy, there's lots of resources here from different lore discussion threads to the character development forum to try and help you get or bounce some ideas around for your new RP character. Cool

RE: New-ish-returnee - Felka - 07-01-2015

Thank you Smile

Very much agree, had I known sooner I would have already done it, been a week now lol, least I can catch up on some sleep.

Any suggested reading for character development? Lore stuff or perhaps a list of questions your meant to answer while thinking of them? 

Still bit stuck on if I want to do a Raen or Xaela, I love the darker hue to the horns but at the same time would think story wise with how Raen went all Temple monk deep into seclusion would lend to her being bit more academic.. yet Xaela would allow perhaps more chance interaction with non Doman foke an feed her curiosity an perhaps engineering/R&D endeavors.
Stat wise I know base stats mater very little by end game.. but as I do want to start her off as a Arcanist I know the Raen are more magic inclined.

~Felka

RE: New-ish-returnee - Faye - 07-01-2015

Hello there, welcome back! I hope you can make it onto Balmung soon!

RE: New-ish-returnee - Martiallais - 07-01-2015

For me personally, even if I don't post/necro the threads, there are a lot of good topics in the Char Devo forum that can be very thought provoking for a character. Giant question lists, views on death, how they'd approach combat with others, how they act when drunk, preferences of clothing...those are just a few that caught my eye from the first page.

A lot of the lore discussion/debate is going to be in the RP forum and while we don't have a lot of lore about Au Ra as a whole there's nothing to really say you can't go either way. With both you'll have your varying reasons for traveling far from home as well as what might have occurred there (or even upon arriving) that nudged them towards interest in magic or tech...or both haha. Big Grin 

As another suggestion, something I used to try and build my Xaela in my head was looking into the various classes/jobs and reading up on their lore to help me visualize and fill in the gaps on my character. What was originally going to be a Dark Knight spent some time in my headspace alternating between Ninja and Machinist but when I settled on Warrior everything sort of clicked and fell together. So maybe reading up on Arcanists will give you some inspiration, too.

RE: New-ish-returnee - Tiergan - 07-01-2015

Welcome back!

I know your pain in trying to create a new character on Balmung. I've been trying to get a new Au Ra alt on there since a little bit before launch and Balmung's just NOT been open - even 5 minutes before/after a maintenance. I'd definitely go with the server transfer option. It might be something I'll have to consider if I want my Bolir Poop Merchant Au Ra to be a thing. (I am entirely 100% serious.)