Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts on RPing Non Playable Races? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on RPing Non Playable Races? (/showthread.php?tid=12266)

Thoughts on RPing Non Playable Races? - Madda - 06-25-2015

Curious about people's opinions on roleplaying non playable races. Madda was thinking doing a Sylph or Moogle for random RP when scurrying around The Black Shroud. They'd be a normal magic user, with Sylphs being the race that seem slightly better for such an idea.

Somebody also keep a count on how many times the word "glamor" is used.

RE: Thoughts on RPing Non Playable Races? - Maril - 06-25-2015

Whilst I don't doubt that it would be fun, it's not something I'd do. There's definitely enough lore out there to support an attempt, but I would get weary from having to explain everyone that they're not seeing whatever they think they're seeing (and the possible ooc discussions that'd follow). If we had something like MRP/Merisioux/FlagRSP as an addon it'd be easier to pull off. At least for what in-game RP goes.

RE: Thoughts on RPing Non Playable Races? - Alderique - 06-25-2015

It helps when your character is actually what people see you as, without having to use any explanations of glamour or illusions. There are also plenty of races available to play from. Personally, I tend not to be interested in characters who deviate from these norms, as it can feel gimmicky or give me the impression that there is a lot of special snowflakery going on.
That being said, there's no reason your character cannot have a strong interest or affiliation with these two species of creatures. I would avoid having been raised or adopted by either of them exclusively, but you could have been in contact with them for much of your life and even be welcome among members of their society as a friend. You might practice some of their culture or magic, and other characters of the playable races may find this aspect of you odd.

I'm sure others may have some of their own advice, or maybe tidbits from their own experiences in attempting to play other races and how they were received.

RE: Thoughts on RPing Non Playable Races? - Uther - 06-25-2015

I'd steer clear of it. For every person that's into it, you'd get 30 people who think you're special snowflaking or god-moding or whatever the kids are calling it these days. If we're being honest, I find the races in this game kind of boring at times, but we as players are bound by what the developers let us do. Unfortunately you're stuck in your skin, as it were. There are always ways around that kind of stuff, if you use your imagination. Like a lalafell raised by sylphs or something, and you could try your damndest to make that character look like a sylph. I don't know. Your character. I'm not going to tell you how to live your life.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but it's all I've got for you.

Take it sleazy.

RE: Thoughts on RPing Non Playable Races? - Fox - 06-25-2015

Honestly Madda, it's your character. And at the end of the day you are the master of it. You can play whatever you want. You should do what makes you happy, and if it makes you happy to play a glamoured sylph- or a non-glamoured sylph do so.

This being said- Will people agree with it? Not everyone. So it is a lot of give and take. If you want to play such a char; then do so, but expect people to stare at you a bit oddly or they may not even want to associate themselves. But it is the sacrifices people take should they play a character out of the norm, as it were.

Me, personally? I likely wouldn't do it; I enjoy the races that are in the game so I play them. But if others want to play something else, then that's not my business and they can play whatever they so want.

RE: Thoughts on RPing Non Playable Races? - Flynn Rosenberg - 06-25-2015

I'd understand it if someone wanted to RP as a non playable race for NPC purposes in a story, but yes I prefer to see who I'm RPing with. Sometimes the person has glamoured themselves as a playable race when they are an Au Ra or a Padjal (whatever they're called), or are a male miqo'te with a female body for feminine features, or a miqo'te with no ears or tail looking like a hyur, or.. the list goes on. Anyway that kind of stuff pushes me away. RP what you want but do think of the other players. Will they be able to see you as you are? Will you have to make it clear to everyone you RP with that your character isn't as what they appear as?