Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Spoilers] Rostnstal(sp?) - Who is he? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Rostnstal(sp?) - Who is he? (/showthread.php?tid=12224)

[Spoilers] Rostnstal(sp?) - Who is he? - Kage - 06-23-2015

So I started the first quests for all of the new jobs but the MCH quest had an NPC whose dialogue made him seem... to have history.

Who is Rostnstal? The only things I can find are about Sthalmann and I don't recall much about him either.

I gather he / they have 1.0 Limsa history. But what? Who is he? What has he done?

RE: [Spoilers] Rostnstal(sp?) - Who is he? - Sounsyy - 06-23-2015

Sthalmann, aka "Rostnstal", is the disgraced former Commodore preceding Reyner. 15 years ago, before Merlwyb was Admiral, Sthalmann was the last Admiral's right hand man. However, when Captain Hyllfyr of the Bloody Executioners made his first bid at the Admiralcy, he tried to cripple the current regime. So he, with the help of the Kraken's Arms, framed Sthalmann to disgrace the Admiral's strongest leader.

Sthalmann's pupil, Reyner replaced him as Commodore, and Sthalmann was forced out of Limsa. He took the name Rostnstal and became a drunkard trying to find evidence of his frame up to clear his name.

He was a rather central character to the 1.0 Limsa MSQ and the 1.0 MRD questline, however his story arc was never completed. He's most famously known for the 1.0 Limsa opening as the Roegadyn who pulls out the musket and shoots the aurelias. Later, when the Player Character tries to joins the Knights of the Baracuda, they hand the PC a musket to shoot. Having never held a musket, the PC imitates Sthalmann's style, causing Reyner to freak out and deny you acceptance into Limsa's navy because of your stance.

RE: [Spoilers] Rostnstal(sp?) - Who is he? - Kage - 06-23-2015

Ohhhh ok I see. So they never really continued his story (perhaps now).

In 15-20? years he never found that evidence to clear his name? Poor dude Sad

Did they say what he was accused of?

Reyner's not the Roe that helps Admiral Merlwyb but he's in charge of the Yellow Jackets though right?

RE: [Spoilers] Rostnstal(sp?) - Who is he? - Sounsyy - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 11:35 AM)Kage Wrote: Ohhhh ok I see. So they never really continued his story (perhaps now).

In 15-20? years he never found that evidence to clear his name? Poor dude Sad

Did they say what he was accused of?

Reyner's not the Roe that helps Admiral Merlwyb but he's in charge of the Yellow Jackets though right?

Hopefully now they will finish the story! Fernehalwes is writing the MCH quests apparently.

At the end of the MRD questline, you help Sthalmann find several documents which might have cleared his name. Unfortunately, the story hints that the documents never reached the right hands, likely due to pirate spies inside the Thalassocrasy.

I think he was framed for stealing the Treasure of Seal Rock and killing the Yellowjacket Levy that was assigned to find it. However, it was actually an Ascian thrall named Travenchet.

Can find Reyner in the Coral Tower atm.

RE: [Spoilers] Rostnstal(sp?) - Who is he? - Kage - 06-24-2015

That sounds like what someone on the official lore forums said.

Except theirs was "he did it"
Quote:He once was known by the name Sthalmann and was the right-hand man of the Admiral back when they were still just the strongest pirates, unlike nowadays.
But his lust for power took over and he kind of sacrificed his crew to have them fight an unneccessary skirmish with the Sahagin so he could (probably murder the Admiral, although it's just known that he was killed at a convenient time) get his hands on an artifact of unlimited power. In the end he loses both the artifact AND his crew and and 10 years later, when he first encounters the player, he is merely a pitiful drunkard who has trouble paying his debts and brooding over the loss of his crew. He kind of helps the player a few times, but still...xD

Quote:This is correct. He also forms a 2 man crew with the player early in the storyline and Y'shtola was the one who contested him when he attempted to claim the artifact. In the end it was stolen by a Ascian in the shape of a Elezen man. Pretty sure said object appears in 2.0 as well. I recall seeing a horn in a similar shape make an appearance in the story.