Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra Naming Assistance - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Au Ra Naming Assistance (/showthread.php?tid=12124)

Pages: 1 2 3

Au Ra Naming Assistance - Seraphine Felstar - 06-18-2015

Following up on the post made by Virella Douront, Au Ra naming conventions were released today. The types of names look pretty specific, and if you're like me and don't know a whole lot about Edo period Japan or 15th Century Mongolia, it looks pretty daunting! So how about we help each other out? - If you have a good link to help with naming Au Ra characters, throw it up and I'll add it to the list.  

Thank you~!

General Information:
Au Ra In Game Name Generator Translator (D'aito Kuji)

16-17th Century Japanese Names:
Edo Period Japan
Hepburn Romanization
Edo-Era Names
15th-17th Century Diamyo Names
List of Famous Diamyo (Foxberry)
Women in Tokugawa Japan
Male and Female Names (Oswin)
Hyakunin Isshu - Poetry with names and stuff (Meena)
Famous People of the Sengoku Period
Sengoku Name List
Japanese Courtesan Names (Yours Truly)
Japanese Season Words (Yours Truly)

Mongolian Names:
History of Mongolia
Mongolian Naming Practices
Mongolian nobility
Mongolia Names
Mongolia Names and Meanings
Period Mongolian Names
Mongolian Female Names
Mongol Male and Female Names
How to Choose a Mongolian Name (Nice list included)
Mongolian Name List (Talandir Valenfort)
Period Mongolian Names (Nero)
Mongolian Etymology (Zhavi)

RE: Au Ra Naming Assistance - Fox - 06-18-2015

Oh my god thank you so much. My boyfriend is playing a Raen and I couldn't find a single place to look.

RE: Au Ra Naming Assistance - Mercer - 06-18-2015

The Edo-Era names that Lianne posted is primarilly for women. Here is a resource for both men and women, as well as explains the combination suffix and prefix terms:

Edo Era Names

RE: Au Ra Naming Assistance - Meena - 06-18-2015

You may also want to look at Heian period names.

They also followed a similar ____ no ____.

Eg: Fujiwara no Teika
Yamabe no Akahito
Abe no Nakamaro

Hyakunin Isshu - Poetry with names and stuff

^ clicky there, you'll find plenty of examples.

(06-18-2015, 09:34 AM)Oswin Wrote: The Edo-Era names that Lianne posted is specifically for women. Here is a resource for both men and women, as well as explains the combination suffix and prefix terms:

Edo Era Names

There is however a small male section.

Also here is a list of Famous Daimyo's ranging from 1500's to 1800s.
http://www.ranker.com/list/list-of-famous-daimyos/reference?page=2&var=3

(06-18-2015, 09:37 AM)Foxberry Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 09:34 AM)Oswin Wrote: The Edo-Era names that Lianne posted is specifically for women. Here is a resource for both men and women, as well as explains the combination suffix and prefix terms:

Edo Era Names

Well then, I'll go back and correct myself from looking like a giant pompous ass. Tongue

RE: Au Ra Naming Assistance - Kurt S. - 06-18-2015

Hmm I wonder if I can still use 'Eska' as a viable forename for a FemXae.

RE: Au Ra Naming Assistance - Seraphine Felstar - 06-18-2015

(06-18-2015, 09:39 AM)Oswin Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 09:37 AM)Foxberry Wrote:

Edo Era Names

Well then, I'll go back and correct myself from looking like a giant pompous ass. Tongue

Psht... no worries!  I'm just posting up whatever I can find. Oddly it seems while women in Edo Japan weren't mentioned as much, I'm having more trouble finding male names. Looking at military history seems to be the best option for ideas there.

(06-18-2015, 09:45 AM)Lianne Lacroix Wrote: Psht... no worries!  I'm just posting up whatever I can find. Oddly it seems while women in Edo Japan weren't mentioned as much, I'm having more trouble finding male names. Looking at military history seems to be the best option for ideas there.

Haha I'm just teasing him, he's an FC member. But yeah. :/ This is... Difficult.
I would suggest looking up samurai and daimyo names and make sure to check the years. A friend who is pretty proficient within these eras suggested if we can't find what we're looking that Sengoku period could offer names as well. It's from around 14 cen. to 16 cen.

(06-18-2015, 09:58 AM)Foxberry Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 09:45 AM)Lianne Lacroix Wrote: Psht... no worries!  I'm just posting up whatever I can find. Oddly it seems while women in Edo Japan weren't mentioned as much, I'm having more trouble finding male names. Looking at military history seems to be the best option for ideas there.

Haha I'm just teasing him, he's an FC member. But yeah. :/ This is... Difficult.
I would suggest looking up samurai and daimyo names and make sure to check the years. A friend who is pretty proficient within these eras suggested if we can't find what we're looking that Sengoku period could offer names as well. It's from around 14 cen. to 16 cen.

Sengoku makes sense though there is going to be a lot of quirks there. The warring states era had a lost of nuance to the names considering that each region was independently controlled.

(06-18-2015, 10:18 AM)Oswin Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 09:58 AM)Foxberry Wrote:

Sengoku makes sense though there is going to be a lot of quirks there. The warring states era had a lost of nuance to the names considering that each region was independently controlled.

That's what I was concerned about when I read into it. Though if people can find the last few years of Sengoku it might be possible opposed to the early 14 cen.

RE: Au Ra Naming Assistance - Valtiere - 06-18-2015

This site has a nice list of Mongolian names. It might be a little early in terms of time period but I thought I'd share it in case anyone is still stumped. More references never hurt.

RE: Au Ra Naming Assistance - Meena - 06-18-2015

I think one of the major issues is that most people will have to google the kanji to read them correctly.

Many of those names have no use if we follow the guide of the Naming conventions as they aren't traditional last names.

Most traditional names still, include nature motifs (lastnames) such as 'Da/ta' Yama/shima' gawa/kawa' etc which all relate to motiffs not things like profession.

RE: Au Ra Naming Assistance - Leomoon - 06-19-2015

Here is more help.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/63112-Race-Naming-Conventions?p=3039574&viewfull=1#post3039574