Hydaelyn Role-Players
If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... (/showthread.php?tid=11947)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Caspar - 06-07-2015

What would it be? Either because the typical fantasy or medieval weapon doesn't exist in the game yet, or a type of clothing you'd like to see isn't in the game yet? Would it be a piece of gear that you'd want to use for rp, or could you not really see your character using it, but would enjoy playing with nonetheless? More importantly, do you think that adding it would give opportunities for cool scenes, or perhaps even a bit of storytelling?

It could be that you already rp the item in question, but you cannot represent it visually due to game limitations. If so, what do you currently do to get around that?

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Erik Mynhier - 06-07-2015

Well not so much a new weapon type as that would need a new class, but since we gave swords and basicly wooden paddles, I kind of wish we could get (even if only for glamour) some one-handed hammers for PLD. Back in FFXI I use to switch out all the time from sword to hammer, mostly for skeletal enemies. But still fun to be a hammer wielding Paladin.

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Caspar - 06-07-2015

(06-07-2015, 02:12 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: Well not so much a new weapon type as that would need a new class, but since we gave swords and basicly wooden paddles, I kind of wish we could get (even if only for glamour) some one-handed hammers for PLD. Back in FFXI I use to switch out all the time from sword to hammer, mostly for skeletal enemies. But still fun to be a hammer wielding Paladin.
This is true. Actually, it's kind of a perplexing omission, given that even the Blacksmith and other crafting classes use the GLD animations and idle stance, so it would be super easy to just add a mace or hammer and use it the same way. Though I think it's cool that the macuahuitl got some love.

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Hyakki - 06-07-2015

Gag weapons, like a broom lance.

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Steel Wolf - 06-07-2015

I'd introduce the gear team to the folks who made the capes and coats for CoX. Seriously, the fabrics in XIV all have the movement properties of a tightly folded napkin.

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Arter Wood - 06-07-2015

Wigs. I would love weird, funny wigs. Clown wigs?

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Aaron - 06-07-2015

Scythe weapons. 

Yes I know irl they're impractical weapons but this ain't real life so those people can bite it. (Though tbh the portrayal of scythe weapons in fantasy show it's not the shape of the weapon that's the real issue but the limitations of humans in the real world to wield such weapons with efficiency. )

I've always loved the grim reaper appearance scythe gave.

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Spethah - 06-07-2015

(06-07-2015, 02:19 PM)Mamushi Wrote: Gag weapons, like a broom lance.

This. Candy can and chocolate bar for PLD. Blow up Rekt-it Hammer for WAR. Miqobob skewers for Ninja. Broom lance for DRG. Giant fists (sanic hands) for MNK. A literal toy bow with sucker cup arrows for BRD. Pop up book for SCH/SMN (Better than the Mog one). Stick and lightbulb for BLM. An extendable feather duster for WHM.

Please.

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Uther - 06-07-2015

For a weapon, I'd go with a rapier or sabre or something. I always really liked the RDM class and I wish it was in the game, plus fencing was a personal hobby of mine for a few years irl. Or, on the other hand, maybe a two-handed mace to put in with WAR, or like a 1h axe for PLD. Something a little more brutal and medieval than what we're used to, as opposed to the sleek, shiny, stylistic weapons and animations the game is riddled with.

Certainly not a scythe. What am I, a bronze age farmer? That's not even a weapon. An axe that can only stab? And the edge is on the inside? It's super effective! Sorry. Don't mean to call people out, but I've wrote off entire fantasy universes for thinking a scythe would be a cool weapon to give a character. The Grim Reaper never uses the scythe as a weapon. It's a symbol for cutting lives down indiscriminately and apathetically like wheat in a field. Also, the symbolism of spring being the time for birth and winter being when everything dies. Harvest comes right before winter, and I shouldn't have to explain this any further because we should all know what symbols are.

For a prop or a non-weapon piece of gear, it sounds cheesey, but I really wouldn't mind like a backpack/satchel/knapsack. Partly because my character spends a lot of time outside of cities and outposts, but also because I've always dreamed of making a lore appropriate lalafell tribute to Ness from Earthbound.

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-07-2015

I want a backpack, messenger bag, or other thing to hold items.

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Rahal - 06-07-2015

Seconding the request for a bigger variety of swords. Rapiers and Sabres would be nice to see. I would love to see a good Kreigsmesser too, we already have Falchions in the game which are basically the same thing so it wouldn't be hard to model one.

I'd like to see better daggers too. Daggers look fine until you hit 50, then are fucking odd. The Khanjars, Sasuke's Blades, Yoshimitsu and High Allagan Blades are the only daggers/short swords at 50 that are either functional, or even have actual edges to them. The rest are just strange....

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Caspar - 06-07-2015

Being a Suikoden babby, I'm obsessed with blunt weapons.

Had I choice in terms of priority, these would ideally be in any rpg I play:
1. Blunt martial arts weapons
2. Bare hands
3. Guns

Those are what I default to, and while I like other stuff, I almost always find myself following this rule. If I can't have a san jie gun/sansetsukon, which is often, I'd take the tonfa, and if not that, the nunchaku, and if not that, the staff, and if not that, the rope dart/meteor hammer, etc. Even if I was forced to play a European-style character, which I tend to avoid pointedly, I would probably pick a mace or warhammer over a sword, though the rapier is pretty nice. These are all highly esoteric/impractical weapons and are rare in series outside of the blatantly Chinese inspired, like Suikoden. But I like them because they fit well with a heroic character. They are multi-purpose and the hero must adapt to many different circumstances. Blunt weapons can be less lethal, thus showing a commitment to preserving life rather than taking it. They're hard to use and thus demonstrating mastery. Most importantly, they are visually dynamic and demonstrate the character's athleticism and finesse. I have a general distaste for conventional magic and thus would never play a character who merely used a staff as a focus.

In Dynasty Warriors, for instance, every character I played obsessively featured at least one of these weapons. Just looking at my play history gives it away, with Guan Suo, Ling Tong and Sun Ce completely outpacing everyone else, lol. XD They're just really cool. Sadly it's hard to get them to feature well in a game like this as any class would not fully demonstrate its ideal qualities. The Monk could use a sansetsukon, but even if they did, the ability to block and trap weapons would not be demonstrated and it would be the same as if they had bare fists.

But as I've noticed in the past, I'd take literally nothing over a sword, because I'm just really fond of Eastern martial art aesthetics in fantasy. Though I don't mind the occasional katana or jian, they don't really appeal to me nearly as much. I prefer the spear to those, too, because at least it can be wielded similarly to the staff.

I can't say I was totally pleased with the Machinist. I like gun using classes in fantasy settings a lot too, and I always found it stifling back when I played D&D that it was very hard to create one in most campaigns. Ideally for me the gun-using class would have been a flamboyant Corsair-style class who wields a brace of flintlocks as they did in the old days, where reloading a black powder and ball firearm took too long and it was easier to just bring spares. Tossing guns in an exaggerated, unrealistic way takes the place of ejecting brass in the modern world, which needless to say, many movie directors and artists have recognized a strange beauty in.

Though I don't tend to play magic using characters, I'm very glad they put the book in the game as a focus. Using the staff just to channel magic always feels wasteful to me. To me the scepter is similar; why only use it as a focus when you could reinforce it and make it a mace too? XD To me the book says "I'm not inclined to combat, and I use my mind as a weapon" much more than a staff or wand. I appreciate that a lot. I'd like to see classes that use even more improbable focuses, like an over-sized ring, or a bell.

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Cato - 06-07-2015

Gunblades. I feel like they have immense potential for a melee/mid-ranged hybrid that could potentially offer us a much needed heavy armour DPS class. They're easily explained through Garlean technology too and are familiar for fans of the other Final Fantasy games.

(06-07-2015, 04:32 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I want a backpack, messenger bag, or other thing to hold items.
I really really wanted a face and back cosmetic item slot. It's kind of a drag that my commitment to using eyepatches means headgear is off limits. And I want to be able to show my character is carrying a heavy load of stuff at a glance with a backpack too. It's little things like that which make me wish the glamor system went a bit further. I don't mind it as it is now because the gear is visually appealing and well designed, but I can't help but be a little greedy.

And yeah, given how many people want Gunblades, I'd say we're due for a class that uses it eventually.

If classes could have joke weapons, I'd want the Dark Knight to wield the Giant Squid ala Nightmare from SC. Complete with gross squishy noises.

RE: If you could introduce a certain prop or piece of gear... - Aaron - 06-07-2015

(06-07-2015, 03:47 PM)Uther Wrote: For a weapon, I'd go with a rapier or sabre or something. I always really liked the RDM class and I wish it was in the game, plus fencing was a personal hobby of mine for a few years irl. Or, on the other hand, maybe a two-handed mace to put in with WAR, or like a 1h axe for PLD. Something a little more brutal and medieval than what we're used to, as opposed to the sleek, shiny, stylistic weapons and animations the game is riddled with.

Certainly not a scythe. What am I, a bronze age farmer? That's not even a weapon. An axe that can only stab? And the edge is on the inside? It's super effective! Sorry. Don't mean to call people out, but I've wrote off entire fantasy universes for thinking a scythe would be a cool weapon to give a character. The Grim Reaper never uses the scythe as a weapon. It's a symbol for cutting lives down indiscriminately and apathetically like wheat in a field. Also, the symbolism of spring being the time for birth and winter being when everything dies. Harvest comes right before winter, and I shouldn't have to explain this any further because we should all know what symbols are.

For a prop or a non-weapon piece of gear, it sounds cheesey, but I really wouldn't mind like a backpack/satchel/knapsack. Partly because my character spends a lot of time outside of cities and outposts, but also because I've always dreamed of making a lore appropriate lalafell tribute to Ness from Earthbound.
I know very well the scythe is meant to be symbolic. Writing off a fantasy game just because they use scythes as weapons if frankly a little too unrequited. Even in real history the use of scythes as weapons have been documented "Revolutionaries in the American Revolution had farmers who used s cythes along with other things because they couldn't afford weapons."

Nothing remotely wrong with a scythe in a fantasy game. Hell it's been showcased IN FF before (Sice from type o uses one (two even) and it was a DRK weapon in XI))

Not calling a personal front on you just a clear up. But the unconditional hatred towards stuff that seems even remotely anime is a little ridiculous (talking to everyone not you). It's just a weapon (amateur one irl but can still kill a person), not some realism breaking superman.