Hydaelyn Role-Players
Altaholic RPer promoter of RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Altaholic RPer promoter of RP (/showthread.php?tid=11912)

Altaholic RPer promoter of RP - Terra - 06-04-2015

Hey there! I'm known as Terra or Terra-chan in various communities and my main is Terrini Littlebottom on Brynhildr. Many of my friends there call me Terr.

I'm an altaholic for RP and since I'm near capped on Brynhildr and am a major face promoting the Rp there, I am in a conundrum. I'm looking to expand my RP social network onto a new server, but I want to have a community that's existing to join and have fun with, and the Eorzea's Next Top Model crew lacks a strong role play element (even the ones from Balmung!) so I thought trying to make connections here would help!

I'm 30 years old, female, and have been RPing since I was 10 with Ad&D. I have a lot of different character types I play, but the amount of fun always boils down to the group. I've played in various pen and paper systems, forums, text chat, voice chat, mmos, muds... You name it! Tame to ero. Normal, to absurd!

On top of looking for a new community,  I want to promote the one on Brynhildr , focused in the LS The Lorekeepers and 2 free companies Uncharted Trails <Atlas> and Black Label Society <BLS>

My characters are as follows:
Terrini Littlebottom, Plainsfolk Lalafell Female, strong in the echo, her faith in it scarred her during the Calamity when she tried to save her parents from becoming Dalamud pancakes. Her journey since then has had her grow to love life again and she's settled with her new husband Zalyo in Lavender Beds.

Sakha Nefhri, Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te female, she's from a big family with a domineering and controlling mother, so she ran away with her beloved brother and trying to prove herself to the world .

Deianera Andoran, Highlander Hyur female, nicknamed Desert Ice, Dei hails from Ala Mhigo and killed her own parents tempered by Ifrit in front of her siblings. She's a mercenary and expects only peoples hate. She finds it hard to get close to people because they don't understand or agree with the cruel functionality of her actions .

Liam Russel, midlander hyur male, raised on the open sea as a pirate, Liam's life can be said to be idyllic in it's rampant hedonism. But in reality it was a cruel abuse of a boy who knew nothing else, so he dropped overboard and started a new life for himself on land, still holding the same hedonistic values.

Garethoix Lacrainte, Duskwight elezen male, he's a scaredy cat, afraid of bright ligh, open spaces and people .  On a dare from the other kids in his cave he left it, to be blinded by the light and fall off a cliff. Saved by the conjurers, he learned their art as a kind soul, but subject to the deep prejudice against his race in Gridania he rarely leaves the Fane, but some new friends have started to help him out of his shell.

Mynafryd Fraeskyltwyn, Sea Wolf Roegadyn female,  huge, happy and in love with holiday cheer, Myna makes it her mission to make people happy,  and smack around those that refuse to be happy and choose grumpiness. 

Concepts:
Takara Taniyama, Raen Au Ra female,  an exiled noblewoman, Takara represents hope for her retainers, who hope that fleeing across the sea and ingratiating themselves with Eorzea will see them able to go home , back to their old livee, but Takara  really is just happy to be free and associates with Eorzea s seedy underbelly. 

Nanamori, Dunesfolk Lalafell male, bearing an uncanny resemblance to Nanamo Ul Namo,  this bastard orphan from the streets of Ul'dah just might see a reversal of fortune. 

Sadi and Disa, Raen Au Ra male and female , two characters different as night and day, one the picture of mischief and fun the other control and duty. Background up in the air whether they should be the same person, cursed, or siblings.

Teterra Terra?/Aladi Ladi?, Dunesfolk Lalafell female,  a fun loving and capitalistic young woman, she is all about loving, but she definitely wants something out of it.

Debunked - Duukuru Daakuru, Dunesfolk Lalafell male, made to be the Dewey Duck in an Eorzean retelling of Duck Tales it ended up not kicking off.

RE: Altaholic RPer promoter of RP - Mountie - 06-05-2015

< low whistle >

Well, color me impressed lass. Seems like you have quite the gallery of characters, and they do certainly branch from the normal to the absurd -in a good manner, of course- so you should have little trouble finding Open World and group RPs! It is rather daunting for one such as myself with only one character on one server to even think of juggling so many ideas, but it seems like you've got it well in hand. Balmung is quite the amazing community, and still find myself shocked with how widespread the RPers can go. Essentially the RP hub is the Quicksand in Ul'dah, however you can find RP throughout all the major cities and outside in the world maps as well!

I hope you the best of luck with promoting the other server as well, and the site actually tailors to this by allowing people to search out Linkshells/FCs from other servers. Be sure to get those posts up at some point for maximum exposure! Sadly I've never done one so my experience there lacks, but if you should need anything else or have any questions, do not hesitate to ask!

RE: Altaholic RPer promoter of RP - Terra - 06-05-2015

I actually was looking through those and my sister FC Black Label Society has a post up there. I've done my homework on things, with a character from Ala Mhigo I am glad she was only 5 when the city was sacked so I really don't have to know much more about it! I looked up as much as possible so that I could tie her story in perfectly about who her parents were before she killed them and little things like that. 

And some of my new concepts are perfect for entering into a new RP group and starting fresh, and while Balmung is very shiny It's a daunting task to enter!Dazed Being on a different data center from my main is also a concern, so I really do want to find a group and create characters to JOIN that group instead of making characters and blindly looking for a group (although in the case of Balmung, that may be the best option)

I highly suggest the latter. From the concept of Riordyn to his actual character, all of his workings are being molded by pure coincidence and the way that the stars have simply aligned for him and I personally love seeing how he is literally growing based not on my own thoughts, but on the world around him. So I say make a character, and let them find their own place in this big beautiful world!

I am a bit scared of the things I've heard of Balmung "always being in character". So in response to that, you have to make sure you have a character that you love everything about because EVERYTHING is in character and it would be hard to "set a scene" as I usually do on Brynhildr. The reason why I want to know some people is I want to know what I'm getting into and it's always more fun to actually have some other PCs tied in with you as it's a "hook" to draw you into roleplay. It's always nice to HAVE friends, particularly if you find it hard to MAKE friends.

I only made the friends I did on Brynhildr by randomly accepting an FC invite and those friends led me to build an RP community there with them.

Reading through these forums though, I am wondering about "NPCing" and what that entails... Huh And how you should go about looking for RP on Balmung? Should you start a character in Ul'Dah to get to the Quicksand quicker? Do you /sh for RP or is that frowned on? Should you party finder?

These are reasons why I'm hesitant about Balmung because I want to integrate into a group, not alienate from one! I really want to know what I'm getting into, and Balmung's hype makes it seem like an alien world.

RE: Altaholic RPer promoter of RP - Gegenji - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 01:40 PM)Terra Wrote: I am a bit scared of the things I've heard of Balmung "always being in character".

I can tell you straight up that this is not true. There are some players who like to be "always in character," but they usually note as such in their character note. I've done plenty of goofball things OOC while running around - from creeper shots on AFK people using oddball armor to hug deliveries to being a disapproving grandpa.

I'm not entirely sure what instances you speak of when you mention NPCing, but I'm going to guess it's someone either a.) using their character as an NPC for someone else's RP or event, or b.) using emotes and other methods to imply that someone other than your character (the NPC) is doing something. For example, I've often emoted what Chachan's pet baby behemoth Gran is doing during a scene.

* Chachanji Gegenji | Gran snorts idly at the leg of the new arrival. Finding nothing overly interesting about them, he turns up his little porcine nose and struts off to look for something more interesting.

As for finding the RP, there's many ways to do it. Going to the Quicksand for some walkup RP is always an option, and you might stumble across people doing open world RP that you can jump in on (though I recommend sending a /tell first to see if they're open to new additions). In addition, you can utilize the Balmung Events and Linkshells sections on these vary forums to find events and people that you might enjoy RPing in or with, respectively. And, of course, there's always just finding people in-game/on the forums/on the wiki that you think might be fun to interact with and either try sending them a /tell in game or a PM here to try and set something up.

Shout chat is usually just for OOC stuff, I've seen. People just shooting the breeze or being goofy, or passing along information like a nearby Hunt. As for the Party Finder, I don't usually use it... but I think I've seen an RP or two posted in there.

It's definitely an imposing thing to get into. I was very nervous and intimidated when I started, lurking around the Quicksand on the meager hopes someone would pay attention to me. However, there's no shortage of interesting players and characters to interact with, so I'm sure you'll find someone (or someones) to have fun with.

... Hope that helps. Blush

Well let me clear the worry. You do not always have to be in character on Balmung. We all have times where we are not, typically defined by gear, sprinting all over the place, and generally jumping over tables and being a goob.

As for finding RP, I would honestly say to just look around and see if someone looks like they might be RP'ing or willing to RP. If you right click folks, a lot of them have descriptions stating that they are an RPer and that walk ups and tells are welcome. These people can generally just be given a courtesy whisper or just go ahead and walk on up. I would not force yourself to be in Ul'dah, after all you can find RP in any city. It is just a centralized hub as far as tavern RP goes.

Oh, and NPCing just means basically using a character as a different character because it is just a very temporary thing. Like say you need a bad guy for your plot, but that is not Rio? I could NPC it by swapping clothes and just pretending to be someone else. And others have characters that specifically are just never played outside of a given purpose and so they are often referred to as NPCs as well.

RE: Altaholic RPer promoter of RP - Blue - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 01:40 PM)Terra Wrote: I am a bit scared of the things I've heard of Balmung "always being in character". So in response to that, you have to make sure you have a character that you love everything about because EVERYTHING is in character and it would be hard to "set a scene" as I usually do on Brynhildr. The reason why I want to know some people is I want to know what I'm getting into and it's always more fun to actually have some other PCs tied in with you as it's a "hook" to draw you into roleplay. It's always nice to HAVE friends, particularly if you find it hard to MAKE friends.

I only made the friends I did on Brynhildr by randomly accepting an FC invite and those friends led me to build an RP community there with them.

Oh, I think Balmung is far from being "always in character". The majority of players on Balmung are non-RPers, either from 1.0 or who have entered Balmung because higher population = easier to accomplish PvE. A good fraction of the roleplaying playerbase on Balmung is also very casual, OOC most of time and RPing only during certain days or certain hours (I'm one of them, and that's why I keep sending SE suggestions for an RP status icon, Twelve knows how many times people have approached me for RP when I wasn't IC), only very few are IC "all the time", so don't worry about that.

(06-05-2015, 01:40 PM)Terra Wrote: Reading through these forums though, I am wondering about "NPCing" and what that entails... Huh And how you should go about looking for RP on Balmung? Should you start a character in Ul'Dah to get to the Quicksand quicker? Do you /sh for RP or is that frowned on? Should you party finder?

These are reasons why I'm hesitant about Balmung because I want to integrate into a group, not alienate from one! I really want to know what I'm getting into, and Balmung's hype makes it seem like an alien world.

Let's see... "NPCing" the way I know it, consists of RPing additional characters, that are not your PC, and that cannot be seen on-screen by others. These are often used to RP family members, colleagues, and scenario-specific personages (Villain-for-a-day, etc.). You will not see this done in open RP often, at least I haven't, but people who RP in FC chat or in other private channels may do it often. To do it in /say seems to cause confusion at best in those not involved/not conscious of what you're doing. I'm an altaholic myself and I often RP my alts and my main character at the same time, by NPCing them.

A quick example:

<Blue Vann> Clive, do you want to come with us?
<Blue Vann> Clive: Hell no. You guys are very able to waste your time without my help. I'll go take a nap. *Clive leaves the room*

So in that case, I am RPing as Blue, and though Clive Stark IS a playable character (an alt), I'm NPCing him because I cannot log in on both Blue and Clive at the same time, as they share an account.

This can be done for alts as well as non-existant characters on your account. Like your retainers, your mom, your boss, your secret evil twin, etc. etc.

As to how to make connections, I'll go ahead and tell you what everybody knows: the Quicksand is purely walk-in, walk-out RP. You will very rarely make important connections there or be involved in others plot. It's a good place to go RP when you don't want to look for real plots or strong connections, and just casual conversation/leaning against the railing for a hour or so before you have to go off for work (also prepare to be hit on a lot there. If it makes you uncomfortable like it does to me, I don't recommend going there, but if you've done Ero as you said ou have, I trust you'll have no issues). See it as a sort of bar, a bar of very loud patrons whose conversations you'll easily overhear even by being to the other side of the room (damn that super range of /say), where you'll meet people that you likely won't see again out of the place, it's not too different from real life. So again, it depends on what you're looking for. (Also, RP events. Attend them if you don't mind overflowing chatbox. It is similar to how the Quicksand works, but at least it can have different gimmicks and context).

If you want lasting connections and possibly make plots the main suggestion everyone and even I will give is first to join a linkshell or FC OOCly. OOC communication is Very Important to set up plots and connections, and insisting to set these up only through IC means will often, not always, but often leave you excluded and out of what most of us call "cliques". If you can't beat them, join them.

Of course all this advice can be disregarded, IC magic does happen and relationships (both positive and negative) do can form with walk-up. But it's very very rare, and those who insist to pursue this way often end up getting depressed and/or make threads of how they can't find RP or lasting friends. It's two roads that you can take, one just happens to have more challenges than the other, so again it all depends on how much of a challenge you want to make for yourself. Happy RP hunting!

EDIT: And as usual by the time my post is done other people have done the work already! Damn my text walls.

It's still a bit intimidating, particularly with how hard it is to get in!

I kinda also want to support the underdog/non-Balmung/non-Gilgamesh RP groups simply because my main group is just that. I'm not sure how to go about connecting with people... I saw there were skype chats and maybe I could connect in one of those? I may be an altaholic, but even I know that there's only so much time I can devote to alts and my main will always be on Bryn, it's my home after all. Only something very drastic would change that.

I'm also the kind of RPer that makes characters to fit a group more often than not. "Oh, no one's playing a cleric? I'll do it!" or "We don't have anyone that uses INT? I'll be an int-based character with tonnes of lore skills!" ect ect If someone is interested in making a relationship I may also make a character tailored to that (but never guarantee it'll play out, it's no fun like that.) Like I said, RP is made by the people you RP with and I want to find a group to join in with Undecided

RE: Altaholic RPer promoter of RP - Melkire - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 02:09 PM)Terra Wrote: I kinda also want to support the underdog/non-Balmung/non-Gilgamesh RP groups simply because my main group is just that. I'm not sure how to go about connecting with people... I saw there were skype chats and maybe I could connect in one of those? I may be an altaholic, but even I know that there's only so much time I can devote to alts and my main will always be on Bryn, it's my home after all. Only something very drastic would change that.

Lovely thing to support! Wish you the best of luck! Smile

As far as RP via avenues other than in-game is concerned, there's at least one Skype Chat that I know of, and there's also the In-Character forum board here on RPC. The latter isn't restricted to any particular group, which makes it handy for folks to roleplay together cross-server. I imagine Skype can be used for the same, though I'm not sure how open the Balmung Skype Chat group is to such a thing, you'd have to ask them.

Welcome to RPC! Moogle

RE: Altaholic RPer promoter of RP - Terra - 06-07-2015

Currently connecting with the Lamia RPers thanks to here ^.^ might also try a character on Balmung too.

RE: Altaholic RPer promoter of RP - Viola - 06-07-2015

Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your stay like I am, even if I'm a little argumentative.

RE: Altaholic RPer promoter of RP - Terra - 06-08-2015

Got so much hype right now trying to be Eorzea's next top model! Did start my RP character on Brynhildr though!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/237374-Eorzea-s-Next-Top-Model-YOUTUBE-Edition-Episode-1-%28Fan-Voting%29

Votes appreciated !