Hydaelyn Role-Players
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here (/showthread.php?tid=11741)

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here - Arik - 05-23-2015

In other words: Stock up on sweatpants and tv dinners, it's time to sacrifice countless hours to yet another MMORPG.

Greetings from a total FFXIV newbie! Like many others, I've been lured to the game by several friends who have been playing for some time, as well as a few others who I'm dragging along with me. That and, of course, the promise of a thriving RP community!

Any who, since all the cool kids seem to be doing it...

--MMORPG background
While I might be new to Hydaelyn, I am no stranger to MMOs. I've been playing the things off and on since the original Everquest. The last MMO I was thoroughly active on would be Aion-- but I've been touch and go with a few others in recent years including: Tera, Elder Scrolls Online, World of Warcraft, Archeage, and a few others. 

--RP experience
I'm even less of a stranger to RP. I can't honestly count how many years of my life have been spent hunkered over a keyboard in a dimly lit room, snickering and conniving over the lives and times of fictional characters. I lost count around 10 years, and frankly that was several years ago. /cough, I might be aging myself a bit.

I've done everything from MMOs to chatrooms to forum RP-- the latter of which would probably be my main venue as well as my speciality. (If you can't tell already, I like me some words.) I find the "real time," rapid-fire environment of the MMO scene to be super refreshing though, so I like to get involved with them whenever I come across active communities.

--Character ideas/info
This is up in the air, given I only just joined the game and am still getting a feel for the story. I know my main will most definitely be a massive-weapon-wielding-mercenary-type Au Ra (Xaela) come the 23rd (yeah yeah, jumping on the bandwagon, I'm a sucker for huge male characters), but personality/history/etc remains TBD until I've gotten a better grasp on ARR's world and what will be conducive to it as well as the Auri lore. At this point though, I'm more concerned with securing myself a spot on Balmung so as to join my friends and the primary RPC. Luckily, I still have some time 'til the expac to hopefully get situated/learn the ropes!

--How did you learn about the coalition?
Word of mouth from friends and, of course, trusty ol' Google. 

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?
I'm happiest at a heavy level so long as I have a few reliable partners who are just as enthusiastic about it as me. If the gameplay/leveling/etc is particularly enjoyable though, I might shift between heavy and medium, depending on my mood. On average though, my priorities usually go something like RP > PVP (if I like the game's design for it, that is) > PVE. 

--Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)
Sometimes I art. Assuming I'm able to dive into the RP community and get things going IC, you can bet on seeing some character art from me eventually. I mostly work in Photoshop using a Yiynova tablet or my Surface Pro 3.

Beyond that-- I'm a college student who lives with her fiance, two cats, and little mutant of a Pug+Pomeranian dog. I like dark themes and probably spend more time watching horror movies than should be considered healthy. 

Any who-- Really looking forward to hopefully meeting some new people and taking part in some outstanding RP. I intend to wind up on Balmung (like everyone else and their dog, assuming I can get lucky with the character restrictions), probably under the name Verik Sarael (iffy, of course, 'til I get on Balmung... And we're still waiting on word regarding Au Ra naming conventions). I like to think of myself as a pretty friendly individual, so never hesitate to say hello!

RE: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here - BearCave - 05-23-2015

Welcome to the RPC, and hopefully soon, to Balmung! There is a very large roleplaying community here, and we're only getting bigger, judging from the returning players, new players and the like! 
Hope to see you in game!

RE: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here - Blythe - 05-23-2015

Hello there and welcome to the FFXIV and the RPC.

If you are looking for a time to get on Balmung, any time right after maintenance will give you a good window. (Or if you are a sucker for trying to see if you can get your character made in that minute before maintenance starts, there's that too.) Otherwise, weekdays around ~7/6 AM EST/CST are fairly good times to check for character creation on Balmung.

I hope to see you around. n u n

RE: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here - Bexy - 05-23-2015

Welcome! Hopefully you can get in! Failing the times already suggested, the best times are just after maintenance! ^^

And should you see me about, don't be afraid to prod me!

RE: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here - Arik - 05-23-2015

Thank ye for the welcome!

I'm a pretty stubborn sort, so I'll be harassing the server regularly 'til I can manage to get in. I really appreciate the pointers though and I'll be sure to try taking advantage of any maintenance. If not that, then I suppose I'll tough it out 'til the coming week days. (/determination)

RE: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here - Val - 05-23-2015

Welcome to the RPC! I've done a bit of RP on WoW back on Silver Hand when it first released, and then Moon Guard a few years back. If you're in need of RP, check out some of the wikis in my signature and let me know if you're interested Smile My schedule is relatively hectic but I try to find time for people where I can.

RE: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here - Arik - 05-24-2015

Thank ya Val! I'll absolutely check out your profiles-- the wiki in general seems pretty awesome so far in general. 

In other news: I'm officially on Balmung! I broke and bought the transfer on a temp character when he turned 72 hours old. (There comes a point where I'm willing to throw a little extra money around to save myself time and frustration. I'm weak.) 

While I likely won't be RPing 'til after the expansion (fantasia'ing this temporary, non-RP guy into an au ra and likely purchasing a name change after we find out what Xaela naming conventions are), feel free to say hi if anyone sees me. My temporary name there is Azrael Malephar. c:

RE: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here - Roen - 05-24-2015

Aw! Pug-pomeranian! A friend of mine has one, they are adoooorable.

Welcome to Balmung! I was going to suggest transferring to get in, but you already did that!

Balmung definitely has a big RP community... hope to see you about! Smile