Hydaelyn Role-Players
How Do You Say That? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How Do You Say That? (/showthread.php?tid=11669)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How Do You Say That? - Ignacius - 05-18-2015

We all come up with our own names and elements in the course of RP, but I often found it fascinating how different people read names I come up with.  I had a character in WoW named Zumoktaga, and people tended to shorten it to "Zumo" and, I found, pronounced it the same way you'd pronounce "sumo".  But in longform, it always was pronounce ZOO-mock-TAH-gah.

Now, some names, such as my alt Clayborne Turk, get pronounced correctly, but last night, and after only having been returned for a short while, I actually found out my characters name was being understandably mispronounced.  Do any of you have any names or backstory elements and how do you pronounce them?

For the record, Orleans Ignacius is actually pronounced:  OR-lay-awns ig-NAY-see-us.

RE: How Do You Say That? - cuideag - 05-18-2015

I've been called Deli Aisle for years, but it's really just Deh-LIE-al.

Jajara's been pretty easy for folks. Did get asked once if it was supposed to be pronounced Hahara, though.

RE: How Do You Say That? - Gegenji - 05-18-2015

My Lala names are pretty easy, I think? Since they're named after the Cha-Cha and Go-Go dancing respectively. Most of the issues, if any, would be when it flows into the last part of the name. Also, I suppose one would have to wonder if it's a "geh" or a "jeh" sound on the last name for both.

Cha-CHAN-jee and Go-GONE-jee Geh-GEN-jee

Shortening their names (Chachan and Gogon) follow the same pronunciation. Just dropping the "jee."

Judge's name is pronounced Jurr-RED-this. Of course, everyone just refers to him as Judge or The Judge. So, pronouncing it might not be as necessary. Laugh

RE: How Do You Say That? - Cliodhna Eoghan - 05-18-2015

a lot of people shorten the first name to just clio and i get it shorter to type and all ;3 but i've actually had a few look at it and go "htf do you say that?" (either in or ooc xD)
most popular i've heard is "kle-o-da-nah" but it's a gaelic name so with their rules applied; it's "KLEE-u-nah"

not really a made up name, but still confusing enough for people when the attempt the long form.

RE: How Do You Say That? - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-18-2015

Before I started RPing, I had this miqo'te male named Frhanz'ir Kirche. ...not exactly the more lore-complient family name, but the given name seemed to work well enough.....until people tried to actualy pronounce it during raids.

It usually went something like this.
"Furaah- Fraaahhuunnzzzzuh"
"Fraaaanzurr"
"fuck it."
"We're calling you by your IRL name now. It's too hard to say your name."

Eventually, I just told them to use "Franz" which somehow made it easier. I guess that extra "h" and the "ir" made it difficult somehow.

Once I started to get into RP, I had a fantasia leftover from the 1.0 -> 2.0 migration, but there was no way to properly namechange. So I became an oddly-named Elezen, going by "Frhanz Kirche". He just always said his parents were really eccentric when they named him, hoping that at least on his birth certificate, something more normal like "Francois" was used.

The way the name was pronounced was Franz, where the a was like "can't" and Kirche which was more like "kirsh".

When that character met his untimely demise to now named Franz nil Renatus, this Franz took on the Elezen's given name, modifying it a little bit. It now should should more Germanic to fit in with pretending to be a Highlander, prnounced similarly to "Hans" where the "a" sounds should be similar to the vowel in "pot". This Franz never gives out the rest of his name because >Garleans.

RE: How Do You Say That? - Steel Wolf - 05-18-2015

Introducing my character as Sthalwilf Haemrstymmwyn has always been a good "opener" for me, as the responses of people trying to pronounce the Roegadyn language has always been fun. It also opens up conversation pretty well most times. :3

RE: How Do You Say That? - Gegenji - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 10:06 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Sthalwilf Haemrstymmwyn

Stall-wilf Hammers-time-win, obviously.

(05-18-2015, 10:06 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Introducing my character as Sthalwilf Haemrstymmwyn has always been a good "opener" for me, as the responses of people trying to pronounce the Roegadyn language has always been fun. It also opens up conversation pretty well most times. :3
>.> *stares*
"sthl-wulf .....hem-ryst-mem-win"
....how far off was i? xD

RE: How Do You Say That? - Bryn - 05-18-2015

As stated on Bryn's wiki, if you wanted to be really, really correct, Bryn's name would be pronounced

"Breen-HILL-d' Voolf." With the 'R' rolled for a half second.

So few non-Mhigan Eorzeans can pronounced it right, though, so generally Bryn doesn't make a fuss about it being, "Brin Wulf."

RE: How Do You Say That? - Melodia - 05-18-2015

Mel's is pretty easy, so don't get many mispronunciations.

Meh-low-dee-uh  Jahnz

Smile

RE: How Do You Say That? - Bryn - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 10:10 AM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote:
(05-18-2015, 10:06 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Introducing my character as Sthalwilf Haemrstymmwyn has always been a good "opener" for me, as the responses of people trying to pronounce the Roegadyn language has always been fun. It also opens up conversation pretty well most times. :3
>.> *stares*
"sthl-wulf .....hem-ryst-mem-win"
....how far off was i? xD

The pronunciation of Roegadyn names follows generally Nordic rules, so it'd be

"Stahl-vilf Haemr-steem-veen."

RE: How Do You Say That? - Nataru - 05-18-2015

Nah-tah-roo :3 Most just skip it and go the Nat route or pronounce it Nata-roo

(05-18-2015, 10:13 AM)Bryn Wrote: The pronunciation of Roegadyn names follows generally Nordic rules, so it'd be

"Stahl-vilf Haemr-steem-veen."
ty, wasn't aware of that buuut that's still complicated looking so ima stick to "steel" xD

RE: How Do You Say That? - FreelanceWizard - 05-18-2015

So, L'yhta (LEE-tah -- pretty simple, really Smile ) got sufficiently tired of people mispronouncing her name in various and fun ways, so she started going by Lyta (lie-TUH) to make it easier on people. Most people don't abbreviate it further, since it's only two syllables.

Funny enough, some people do insist on calling her Yhta (EE-tah) despite her fervent requests not to. If she doesn't consider you a close friend or family, or you're not using her formal address in the Tower, she doesn't want you to drop that tribal letter, as she considers it part of proper polite conversational distance. As it turns out, you can take the miqo'te out of the tribe, but you can't entirely take the tribe out of the miqo'te.

RE: How Do You Say That? - ProvaDiServo - 05-18-2015

With a name like Steve, no one ever has to mispronounce.

Cool