Hydaelyn Role-Players
Looking for a forum rp - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: Looking for a forum rp (/showthread.php?tid=11590)

Looking for a forum rp - Accurator - 05-13-2015

So uh, I don't know if there's another thread here for forum RP, but I like, want to join/make one.

...You can like, use the link to my bio under my uh... Thing.
...Basically, my character is a moogle rogue/thief/fusilier/ishthing... And I never played FFXIV. I don't really care about the kind of RP... I think. So uh, please reply to this thread if you want to rp with me or something :P

RE: Looking for a forum rp - Alothia - 05-13-2015

So, take this with a grain of salt, and forgive me if I come off as sounding snide. It's not my intention at all.

I don't think you're going to get very far on these forums with not playing the game and not playing a race that a player can be. Right now, we can play as Humans, Roegadyn, Miqo'te, Elezen, and Lalafell, with Au Ra coming soon.

In the lore of the game, the only people that can hear the Moogles are those people who possess the Echo, if memory serves me. It's something special, and there are going to be plenty of players who choose to have their characters not be able to understand/talk to the moogles. That's going to be a big road block to your RP here.

Another thing is that without playing the game or doing EXTENSIVE research into the lore, you're also going to have a difficult time. Many of the RPers you find here are sticklers for being lore friendly, and having a Moogle that goes around theiving and whatnot doesn't seem to fit in line with the game.

Finally, we're not really a forum RP website. We have a small section for forum RPs, but most of those are extensions of RP that happen in game. The RPC's purpose is for players to get together to make connections in game, to fuel that RP.

That being said, if you're really interested in RPing within the world of FFXIV, I highly suggest picking up a copy and trying it. There are plenty of people here and in game that would be more than happy to help you learn about the world, clear content, and build a character that is not only lore friendly, but fun to play with.

I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors!

RE: Looking for a forum rp - Nebbs - 05-13-2015

Here is what you do....

Write a short piece about you moogle char that leads into an RP. Then folks can join in or other wise. 

Fair warning though mist forum RP here does not last long.

Good luck

RE: Looking for a forum rp - Melodia - 05-13-2015

As someone who has forum rp'd here I will echo Nebbs and Alothia.

Forum rp almost requires a partner, someone who is willing to dedicate time to that delicate dance that is forum rp. There are pacing issues, setting, etc. and the reason  I bring this up is because Alothia is very correct in her assessment. The players here take lore seriously. Even the ones that aren't as rigid may struggle with a moogle using guns and being a rogue. I will say a lien that will turn people off is:

"I've never player FFXIV and don't really care about that kind of rp.."

That is something folks take seriously, so best not to undermine your potential rp partners right off the bat.

Best of luck.

RE: Looking for a forum rp - Gegenji - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 12:17 PM)Melodia Wrote: "I've never player FFXIV and don't really care about that kind of rp.."

I think what is being said is that he doesn't play FFXIV, and that he has no opinion on what TYPE of RP that he is asked to participate in. For example, he doesn't mind if it's a serious RP or a silly RP.

RE: Looking for a forum rp - Alothia - 05-13-2015

Well, serious or silly, we run the gamut here in game. There are plenty of groups who do different things. I'd give a look at the Linkshell hall. There, is a listing of many of the RP groups in game, and that can tell you what sorts of things they like to do.

As far as the type of RP that happens in game, it all depends. It's best to start small. Work on small interactions, talking with other players. A lot of in game RP isn't nearly as flowery as forum RP can be, because you don't need to describe everything, as the game provides most of that visually.

If you have any questions about in game stuff, ask away!

RE: Looking for a forum rp - Accurator - 05-13-2015

Well, if people have problems with moogles, I can always just choose another race, right?

Also, I want to make clear that I have no way to play FFXIV right now. I am stuck with a laptop that can't even run stuff like spiral knights or minecraft. I'm saving up for a new PC though, of course.

So yeah, I guess I should either... Choose another race, or another rp.

RE: Looking for a forum rp - Desu Nee - 05-13-2015

Kinda unrelated but I'll never be not salty I can't play as Moogles.

FF Tactics Advance and DS spoiled me on that.

RE: Looking for a forum rp - Zhavi - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 12:45 PM)Accurator Wrote: Well, if people have problems with moogles, I can always just choose another race, right?

Also, I want to make clear that I have no way to play FFXIV right now. I am stuck with a laptop that can't even run stuff like spiral knights or minecraft. I'm saving up for a new PC though, of course.

So yeah, I guess I should either... Choose another race, or another rp.

I would definitely try another race. Smile If you have any questions try hitting up the rp forum -- there are quite a few people who are well versed in the lore who are usually happy to help when a person new to the FFXIV universe is trying to get a solid footing.

That, or, y'know, start small and learn as you go!

RE: Looking for a forum rp - Melkire - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 12:49 PM)Desu Nee Wrote: Kinda unrelated but I'll never be not salty I can't play as Moogles.

FF Tactics Advance and DS spoiled me on that.

Agreed, FFTA was great for having Moogles as a playable humanoid race.

I'll echo a few sentiments here: you might not find acceptance from certain community members here regarding playing as a moogle, but there's nothing preventing you from doing so in forum posts so long as the moogle in question is of the FFXIV kind. Might stretch willing suspension of disbelief too far for some folks to play a FFTA-style moogle, even on the boards here, but that varies by individual, case by case basis and what-not.