Hydaelyn Role-Players
Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? (/showthread.php?tid=11578)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Naunet - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 12:05 AM)Nako Wrote: it is likely there because it is there in WoW, and this game does borrow heavily from that, but I feel diverges in many, many good ways. Also, the real end game is Coil (soon to be alexander), not cosmetics. Unless you are refering to the coil gear.

This game take's WoW's strategy of elongating content and kicks it to such a high degree that it may as well be on a completely different dimensional plane. You really shouldn't try and compare the two as though they are remotely similar, because they are not. WoW doesn't lock classes behind the entire span of old world content. WoW doesn't even lock zones! You could get to Dalaran as a level 1 if you wanted. Now, I don't play WoW anymore, but I'm pretty sure they haven't retroactively changed any of that.

I also disagree that the 1-character sub (and the ability to do everything on one character... well, everything except be a different race) justifies these kinds of decisions. SE offers 8 character slots, and you pay more than the people utilizing the 1 character. But then they're going to laugh in your face despite you giving them additional money? Haha! Not cool.

For what it's worth, the prospect of not only being forced to complete the MSQ but also having to level through an entire class that I don't want to be in order to play what I want (Au Ra AST) was enough for me to decide NOT to re-subscribe.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Cato - 06-06-2015

It's fine to dislike specific aspects of the game. What's not fine is implying that the developers - who have been meeting immense success so far - should suddenly change large aspects of the game to appease what is likely nothing more than a vocal minority of players.

Not every game is going to be custom tailored to an individual's personal tastes. What's interesting is that I've seen some of the more vocal critics of FFXIV's mechanics go under the same name elsewhere when they've invested in other MMO's and...they've complained there too. Which makes me suspect that it's going to be very difficult for any MMO to truly appease them and leave them satisfied.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Kellach Woods - 06-06-2015

(06-05-2015, 08:40 PM)OttoVann Wrote: Wait a second, do I need to have all of these shitty MSQs done before I can do Early Access?

You get access to Early Access regardless of your status with the MSQ, but if you haven't done them you will not be able to access Ishgard proper.

From what we know to get access to Ishgard you need MSQ complete.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Naunet - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 11:37 AM)Graeham Wrote: It's fine to dislike specific aspects of the game. What's not fine is implying that the developers - who have been meeting immense success so far - should suddenly change large aspects of the game to appease what is likely nothing more than a vocal minority of players.

Pretending that not locking classes behind MSQ/50 levels is changing "large aspects of the game"... Hah.

No. It's not.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Gone. - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 12:05 AM)Nako Wrote: as I said, an inconvenience. I need 34 levels of lancer to do my job well? fair enough, lets go get them. and if you've been a mage? you've likely built up a sizable ammount of gear and soldiery whilst playing that mage. Most of my classes were already decently geared by the moment they hit 50 due to greed rolls.

it is likely there because it is there in WoW, and this game does borrow heavily from that, but I feel diverges in many, many good ways. Also, the real end game is Coil (soon to be alexander), not cosmetics. Unless you are refering to the coil gear.

Soldiery maybe, but other gear? Maybe if you're lucky with the rolls.

And Coil... endgame? Please, so few people touch Coil that it's a wonder it even has any support at this point. There's a reason it's frequently nerfed and I'm pretty sure it's not because of a high attract rate.

Let's be honest: most are here for the continuing story, the fanservice to previous games in the series and like all MMOs, playing dress-up. That's FFXIV in a nutshell.

(06-06-2015, 12:18 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I honestly don't agree with you on this one.  It's not "punishment."  It's a way of extending the content, and it's practiced in one form or another by every successful MMO.

(06-06-2015, 12:18 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Staples in every successful, raiding-focused MMO.  WoW does it.  SWTOR does it.  Rift does it.  Wildstar does it.  Name me a wildly successful MMO with a serious raiding endgame that doesn't engage in content gating via tomes, raid lockouts, etc?

And like I said, just because another game does it doesn't make it good design by default.

FFXIV is hardly raiding-focused, anyway. It's story-driven, something it only shares in common with The Secret World and The Old Republic.

(06-06-2015, 12:18 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: That's a personal opinion.  There are many people very devoted to the PvE endgame, and you have no right to denigrate their focus.

What's more, you were complaining earlier that SE won't let us grind Tomes and gear all day erry day, but now you're complaining about having to grind classes to get cross-classes.  I'm entirely confused as to how you are working this out logically.

Who said anything about denigrating? I'm just pointing out that the hardcore audience is never satisfied for the long-term and designing solely for them is a disaster waiting to happen. See: Wildstar.

Also you missed the point entirely. No one should have to grind out of necessity. If you want to, sure, go for it, but it should not be a mandatory facet just to accomplish the basest of goals.

Leveling is not a grind in this game; you can make significant progress daily without any thought whatsoever. All I'm saying is there's no real incentive to do it on one character when only the magic and tank jobs share gear easily and that's if you're lucky with dice rolls to begin with.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Sophia_Grave - 06-06-2015

I've already posted my thoughts in this thread, but something came to mind.

Let's assume that 3.0 has zero content under lv50. No new monsters or areas under lv50. That would mean that anything related to the 3.0 jobs (at least, from 30-50) would take place in ARR areas. With that in mind, they could have EASILY relocated the 3.0 jobs to ARR areas, locking them only behind a lv30 ARR job and an xpac purchase. After all, you can't level a lv30 job in a lv50 area, nor can you do a job quest involving lv50 mobs, can you?

Alternatively, let's assume that 3.0 does have content lv30-50 content specifically for the 3.0 jobs, even if its only job quests. What reasoning is there for an xpac owner who hasn't finished ARR to be locked out of that? It would make sense to lock them out of 50+ content, but 30-50 content? ARR itself has 50 content that anyone can travel to at lv1.

Further, there are a dozen ways to adapt a lore-friendly reason for the WoL to be able to go to Ishgard before the events of 2.55. WoL could have met a friendly smuggler. Ishgard could have noticed WoL's work with the Primals and extended a city-only invite. WoL could have a long lost relative, because who cares? How hard would it be for a lv30 quest to pop up that sends you to Ishgard's town so you can pick up the new jobs? Any other Ishgard content would obviously be locked via level or MSQ completion anyway, right? I'm trying to wrap my head around it, but it doesn't make any sense. There will already be a massive disconnect in continuity if the player starts out as an Au Ra, yet they allowed that. But for some reason, they won't allow you to pick up a new job until the MSQ tells you that you can? The more I think about it, the more it doesn't make sense.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - LiadansWhisper - 06-06-2015

So I just saw this on another forum and thought it was cool.  If it's already been posted here, sorry, I didn't see it!

Quote:First off, equipment rewards will be added to the Main Scenario quests. He didn't go into too much detail here, but presumably this will help you reach the item level requirements for duties, if not bring you all the way there by itself.

Second, so that you can do the required content without getting stuck in queues for an eternity (especially for dps classes), players new to a given duty will be placed in a priority queue. Basically, you can go straight to the front of the line so you can progress your quests quickly.

Additionally, pre-50 main scenario quests will give double experience so you don't have to do side content, and if you own Heavensward you'll get experience from the 2.1-2.55 quests as well, so you can get a few levels before even entering Ishgard.

And if you have friends or a helpful FC, they're adding the ability to join with a partial group, bypass the duty finder, and not get level synced. (This part is actually from other articles) With this, if you really want to skip ahead even with the inprovements, you can just have a level 60 player rush you through the old content quickly. There are plenty of great FC's out there that would help with this.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Kellach Woods - 06-06-2015

It's been posted but in partial ways.
Even if the new players get priority in 2.1-2.55 content, it's more the number of available players at those dungeons that worries me rather than the priority thing. It's cool don't get me wrong, but it's really just a bandaid on a more grave wound in my opinion.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - LiadansWhisper - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 01:27 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: It's been posted but in partial ways.
Even if the new players get priority in 2.1-2.55 content, it's more the number of available players at those dungeons that worries me rather than the priority thing. It's cool don't get me wrong, but it's really just a bandaid on a more grave wound in my opinion.

I was pretty fixated on the last part.

I will run the shit out of those previous duties on a max level character to help my friends.  Also being able to group WITH friends to do it would be amazing.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Aduu Avagnar - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 01:27 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: It's been posted but in partial ways.
Personally, as I've stated before, I believe that they are likely going to add this stuff to a roulette which people are likely to do, given the number of people that still do the lowlevel, high level and trial roulettes. I think it's going to be less of a grave wound as you believe.

I just wonder how much less people you will need to run them. If it's just 3/7 then it doesn't help as much, but if you can duo them or outright halve the amount of people then yeah I can definitely see it helping.

(06-06-2015, 01:42 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I just wonder how much less people you will need to run them. If it's just 3/7 then it doesn't help as much, but if you can duo them or outright halve the amount of people then yeah I can definitely see it helping.

I think they're intending to let you duo them with max level characters, or something similar.  It reminds me of WoW and running old raids with lower level players for transmog gear.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Caspar - 06-06-2015

Wasn't the number of people who've made it to Final Coil on Western servers something embarassing like 12%?
I think it's awesome Square is even trying to make content harder. It takes balls to basically admit the game is too easy globally and try to push things forward. I felt that it was what they were saying with Steps, that we need to learn to play better together and up our game, because it was essentially easy content, but super hard due to the generally non-communicative and argumentative nature of English-speaking players. Nerfing it gave me mixed feelings; on one hand it was a drag to have to attempt Trials multiple times a day due to Steps, but on the other hand, I loved it because it could have been an excellent ultimatum: "Get your act together, there's going to be more stuff like this come HW."

I think others have said that they feel the game is catering to hardcore players too much already without HW in this thread, and I just wanted to point out that simply isn't true. If anything they need more content than they already have, as catering to those players will increase the game's longevity as more and more casual players get the practice necessary to become hardcore. Catering to a transient casual crowd who like new story content and leave the game when they finish collecting all the new low hanging fruit is not good for the game, and I'm glad they're moving away from that to an extent.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Aduu Avagnar - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 02:19 PM)Caspar Wrote: Wasn't the number of people who've made it to Final Coil on Western servers something embarassing like 12%?
I think it's awesome Square is even trying to make content harder. It takes balls to basically admit the game is too easy globally and try to push things forward. I felt that it was what they were saying with Steps, that we need to learn to play better together and up our game, because it was essentially easy content, but super hard due to the generally non-communicative and argumentative nature of English-speaking players. Nerfing it gave me mixed feelings; on one hand it was a drag to have to attempt Trials multiple times a day due to Steps, but on the other hand, I loved it because it could have been an excellent ultimatum: "Get your act together, there's going to be more stuff like this come HW."

I think others have said that they feel the game is catering to hardcore players too much already without HW in this thread, and I just wanted to point out that simply isn't true. If anything they need more content than they already have, as catering to those players will increase the game's longevity as more and more casual players get the practice necessary to become hardcore. Catering to a transient casual crowd who like new story content and leave the game when they finish collecting all the new low hanging fruit is not good for the game, and I'm glad they're moving away from that to an extent.
The number of hardcore players (I hate that term) is most likely lower than the number of casuals (That term also). It is usually, in recent times especially, the casuals that make up the majority of a player base. Gone are the days where the hardcore people were the sole makeup of a player base.

I am not saying it is a bad thing to have hard content. I love hard content, and the challenges that come with. But the devs have likely looked at the numbers and tried to strike a balance between the two.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Caspar - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 02:25 PM)Nako Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 02:19 PM)Caspar Wrote: Wasn't the number of people who've made it to Final Coil on Western servers something embarassing like 12%?

The number of hardcore players (I hate that term) is most likely lower than the number of casuals (That term also). It is usually, in recent times especially, the casuals that make up the majority of a player base. Gone are the days where the hardcore people were the sole makeup of a player base.

I am not saying it is a bad thing to have hard content. I love hard content, and the challenges that come with. But the devs have likely looked at the numbers and tried to strike a balance between the two.
Yeah, I figure that's fine. I also figure it's fine for them to slowly increase the amount of difficult content with each expansion and patch, as there is plenty of ground to cover getting there. Increasing the overall level of investment of players in the game is a smart move in my opinion; there need to be time sinks for an MMO to function and not simply bleed players like a certain other big name game.