Hydaelyn Role-Players
Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? (/showthread.php?tid=11578)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Tyndles - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 07:18 PM)Addison Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 02:25 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 02:01 PM)Addison Wrote: Regardless, wouldn't everyone rather have a person who learned the game and their class through the core game rather than have some idiot who played for 2 days in their group?

Please explain how being forced to level as something other than the job you want to play helps you learn your class through the "core game"?

Are you stating, in a round about way, that there's actually a large and substantial amount of potential new players that will only be motivated to buy and subscribe to FFXIV because of a small handful of classes in an expansion?

The keyword here is new. Not a veteran leveling their 5th alt. The argument I'm seeing thrown around this thread a lot is the mistreatment of new players with this gated content, and speaking as a new player, I don't see it as mistreatment at all. This has been the way of MMOs since...well since MMOs and expansions were a thing, I imagine. (I didn't play EQ or UO. FFXI was my first MMO and this type of stuff was certainly present in that game.)

So, with that being said, I'll explain how being forced to level something other than the job someone wants to play helps you learn the core game (I didn't just say class. I did say "the game" as well) when you show me all these potential new players who refuse to play FFXIV unless they have access to one of these new classes from the word "go". Because, as it stands, I just don't believe it. It just sounds absurd that a person with little to no previous history in this game will only pick up the game because of a class they have zero knowledge of.

I like you.  Welcome to the game.  

There WILL be a few new players that may be put off because they cant play one of the three new classes right away, but they will be the VAST minority, and no matter what a game does, there will ALWAYS be a minority that will be unhappy.  (Or a majority if they really screw it up)

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Kellach Woods - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 08:34 PM)Tyndles Wrote: There WILL be a few new players that may be put off because they cant play one of the three new classes right away, but they will be the VAST minority, and no matter what a game does, there will ALWAYS be a minority that will be unhappy.  (Or a majority if they really screw it up)

wouldn't be the first time this game's screwed the pooch.

granted, nobody's gonna choose this hill to cancel sub/get the game.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Zyrusticae - 06-04-2015

Well, in all honesty, I have limited sympathy for someone who is only interested in an entire game for one specific class to the exclusion of all others. That speaks to a sort of narrowmindedness that does not sound particularly healthy. Surely anyone can find at least one other class they like that's currently in the game? It's not like we have MASSIVE HOLES in the current lineup or anything.

(06-04-2015, 08:34 PM)Tyndles Wrote: VAST minority
That's an oxymoron. I think the word you're looking for is 'tiny'.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Tyndles - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 08:57 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: Well, in all honesty, I have limited sympathy for someone who is only interested in an entire game for one specific class to the exclusion of all others. That speaks to a sort of narrowmindedness that does not sound particularly healthy. Surely anyone can find at least one other class they like that's currently in the game? It's not like we have MASSIVE HOLES in the current lineup or anything.

(06-04-2015, 08:34 PM)Tyndles Wrote: VAST minority
That's an oxymoron. I think the word you're looking for is 'tiny'.

Indeed.  Do you feel better now?

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Zyrusticae - 06-04-2015

Yes. Yes, I do.

I can't not point these things out. It's a compulsion.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Nako Vesh - 06-04-2015

Wow. How petty. Anyway, back on topic, lol.

I'm available to tank (or possibly heal, and might get some friends to help, too) Steps if anyone still needs that clear. All I ask is that if you're DPSing or Healing that you hug me the entire time and not hang back, just runrunrunrun! Laugh Send me a whisper in game if you need.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Naunet - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 08:57 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: Well, in all honesty, I have limited sympathy for someone who is only interested in an entire game for one specific class to the exclusion of all others. That speaks to a sort of narrowmindedness that does not sound particularly healthy.

*waves* Hi, before the introduction of Astrologian, I only really had interest in playing WHM. The combat was far too sluggish for a dps or tank class to do anything but bore me to tears. Of course, that makes me super narrowminded and unhealthy! Oh boy!

See, the problem there is that you just don't like the core gameplay loop.

Which... a new class isn't going to fix, because you'd need the gameplay to fundamentally change to fix that.

(Either that, or you need to actually play the harder instances where there's always something to keep track of besides your rotation. I know the game's combat starts off dreadfully boring but it picks up a LOT at the "endgame".)

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Naunet - 06-04-2015

Before I quit, I was clearing Coil turns with the best of them (and honestly not all that impressed). Needing to play "harder instances" was not the issue. ;p

An interesting class can do a lot to save otherwise uninteresting game content. That said, I've known a great deal of people through my time raiding in this and in other MMOs who really just like one, maybe two classes in the game. It's not unusual. Saying people like that are unhealthy is plain rude.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - LiadansWhisper - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 09:46 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 08:57 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: Well, in all honesty, I have limited sympathy for someone who is only interested in an entire game for one specific class to the exclusion of all others. That speaks to a sort of narrowmindedness that does not sound particularly healthy.

*waves* Hi, before the introduction of Astrologian, I only really had interest in playing WHM. The combat was far too sluggish for a dps or tank class to do anything but bore me to tears. Of course, that makes me super narrowminded and unhealthy! Oh boy!

Eh...I think I must be narrowminded, too, since I have always been bored with DPS and tanking rotations.  In every MMO I've ever played.

I only ever play healers because they're the only ones who really entertain me.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - BroodingFicus - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 10:18 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:

Eh...I think I must be narrowminded, too, since I have always been bored with DPS and tanking rotations.  In every MMO I've ever played.

Count me in with the narrow minded people too I guess. I honestly have zero fun on a large percentage of the FFXIV classes. I like Warrior and I fell in love with Ninja later but my favorite roles in an MMO have always been support/healer. Unfortunately I find playing the existing healers about as much fun as watching paint dry. Astrologian and their cards/support stance sound like a dream come true but I'll have to level a crap healer I don't want to get there. I'm sure there are people who feel the same way about the existing tanks/dps as well.

Will I? Yes but only because I have been with the game since launch and a friend of mine is here to suffer along with me and offer rp when I feel like killing the next person who sends me on a crap errand for the MSQ. Will returning players be willing to invest that much time in order to get the classes they want? Maybe. Will new players? Maybe. But why does it have to be maybe?

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Aduu Avagnar - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 10:57 PM)BroodingFicus Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 10:18 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:

Count me in with the narrow minded people too I guess. I honestly have zero fun on a large percentage of the FFXIV classes. I like Warrior and I fell in love with Ninja later but my favorite roles in an MMO have always been support/healer. Unfortunately I find playing the existing healers about as much fun as watching paint dry. Astrologian and their cards/support stance sound like a dream come true but I'll have to level a crap healer I don't want to get there. I'm sure there are people who feel the same way about the existing tanks/dps as well.

Will I? Yes but only because I have been with the game since launch and a friend of mine is here to suffer along with me and offer rp when I feel like killing the next person who sends me on a crap errand for the MSQ. Will returning players be willing to invest that much time in order to get the classes they want? Maybe. Will new players? Maybe. But why does it have to be maybe?
No evidence that you need to level a healer to unlock AST. so you may be in luck

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Nako Vesh - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 10:07 PM)Naunet Wrote: Before I quit, I was clearing Coil turns with the best of them (and honestly not all that impressed). Needing to play "harder instances" was not the issue. ;p

An interesting class can do a lot to save otherwise uninteresting game content. That said, I've known a great deal of people through my time raiding in this and in other MMOs who really just like one, maybe two classes in the game. It's not unusual. Saying people like that are unhealthy is plain rude.

I guess I'm only partly unhealthy because I really only enjoy tanking and healing, lol. DPS, for the most part, bores me.

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - Kellach Woods - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 11:12 PM)Nako Wrote: No evidence that you need to level a healer to unlock AST. so you may be in luck

You don't!

However, you may want to get the cross class skills from CNJ and ACN. ACN has Eye for an Eye and CNJ has the ever useful Protect and Stoneskin, meaning you'd have to get 34 in each class Sad

RE: Heavensward Ilevel Requirements. Strange Design Choice? - BroodingFicus - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 11:24 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 11:12 PM)Nako Wrote: No evidence that you need to level a healer to unlock AST. so you may be in luck

You don't!

However, you may want to get the cross class skills from CNJ and ACN. ACN has Eye for an Eye and CNJ has the ever useful Protect and Stoneskin, meaning you'd have to get 34 in each class Sad

And regardless, you have to level SOMETHING to 50 and through the MSQ. Which yes, for the above reason, it only seems logical to become a WHM. I could become an Astrologian on my Ninja however I also want an Au Ra so...leveling a WHM it is. And I shall hate him until the day he becomes an Astrologian. Grumpiest healer ever. XD