Hydaelyn Role-Players
Walk-up Roleplay Advice. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Walk-up Roleplay Advice. (/showthread.php?tid=11410)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Walk-up Roleplay Advice. - Cogito - 04-30-2015

I've always been really bad at starting walk-up roleplay, it just seems strange and like there is no good way to start it.

What are your strategies?

RE: Walk-up Roleplay Advice. - Fox - 04-30-2015

So, it's sort of like going to a networking party where you don't know anyone, and you stand around, grab a drink, stare at your shoes and thumb your business card. Man do I know that feeling. ._.;

I really have trouble with this. I got used to it at one point, and then some things happened in a different game and I got incredibly introverted again. I think one of the best things to do is to just sort of jump in, of course after watching for a bit. -But that's something that's sort of a 'duh yeah I know that' response. But sometimes you just have to take that leap. ...And one I'm having difficulties as well.

So that being said I'm quite interested in this thread, and would be interested in seeing how others deal with this and pick up some pointers myself.

RE: Walk-up Roleplay Advice. - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-30-2015

So pick one of three things.

Something you see that your character likes, something they dislike, or something your character could easily misinterpret.

Walk up and talk about this thing.

For example my racist Miqo'te might walk up to a highlander and go, "Hey, we don't like to see your kind in the city, why don't you go back to your camp, filth."

Or walk up to an attractive character and go, "Yes yes, very nice, how much?"

Both of those will certainly open the door for more conversation.

(04-30-2015, 10:49 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Or walk up to an attractive character and go, "Yes yes, very nice, how much?"

This had me laughing so much Natalie. I think little quirks like these really do help. I certainly would start rping with someone who did that.

RE: Walk-up Roleplay Advice. - Telluride - 04-30-2015

I have mentioned one trick of mine before.

I play a little game sometimes in the Quicksand with a companion. The rule is that I will approach any character my partner-in-crime chooses, with the rule that whatever I say to the target, the partner must back it up and support it. Cue some very fun and random stuff that, with two people backing it up, becomes test of RP skill.

In general, remember that people at the hubs want to RP as much as you do.

RE: Walk-up Roleplay Advice. - Ciel - 04-30-2015

If you're in a busy area like the Quicksand, don't be afraid to examine people (make sure your hands are warm first, they appreciate it) and look at their search messages.  Most who are RPers will mention it, and a lot of those RPers will also add that they're open to walk-ups.  Start with the obvious ones like that, since they're there in part to help you break the ice.

If they're not obviously open to walk-ups, sending someone a /tell before you engage never hurts either, even if it's just to make sure they're present at the controls.

Another thing that helps, is don't go into an Open RP area without some sort of reason for being there.

It will help you find reasons to RP. The biggest mistake people make is to just stand around and hope someone says hello. Figure out why your character is there, and things will start to fall into place. Here are some good ones I used.

"I lost something, can you help me find it."

"I'm looking for someone, can you help me find them?"

"I need directions."

Selling something illegal!

Buying something Illegal!

Wanting to sit in a specific seat! "Hey you you're in my seat"

There are so many though!

(04-30-2015, 10:55 PM)Ciel Wrote: If you're in a busy area like the Quicksand, don't be afraid to examine people (make sure your hands are warm first, they appreciate it) and look at their search messages.  Most who are RPers will mention it, and a lot of those RPers will also add that they're open to walk-ups.  Start with the obvious ones like that, since they're there in part to help you break the ice.

If they're not obviously open to walk-ups, sending someone a /tell before you engage never hurts either, even if it's just to make sure they're present at the controls.

May I ask how I can put in a 'search message' as a player. Like how can I put it on my status so it shows up for others; that I am interested in walk-ups? It's been a while- and I always forget how to do UI stuff.

RE: Walk-up Roleplay Advice. - Chris Ganale - 04-30-2015

Go to your FC or LS window, right click on your name, and hit "Edit Search Info."

(04-30-2015, 10:59 PM)Foxberry Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 10:55 PM)Ciel Wrote: If you're in a busy area like the Quicksand, don't be afraid to examine people (make sure your hands are warm first, they appreciate it) and look at their search messages.  Most who are RPers will mention it, and a lot of those RPers will also add that they're open to walk-ups.  Start with the obvious ones like that, since they're there in part to help you break the ice.

May I ask how I can put in a 'search message' as a player. Like how can I put it on my status so it shows up for others; that I am interested in walk-ups? It's been a while- and I always forget how to do UI stuff.

Open the party menu (default 'O' on PC) right click on your character name, and click 'edit search info' you can type it there.

edit: beaten

RE: Walk-up Roleplay Advice. - Verad - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 10:59 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Selling something illegal!

It doesn't need to be illegal. . .

But generally, have a goal. Something short term. Decide somebody nearby will help with that goal. Engage.

RE: Walk-up Roleplay Advice. - Edvyn - 04-30-2015

walkups are pretty much a matter of patience and timing. watch people's conversations, and wait for an opening. something your character can reasonably comment on. rp needn't start with "hello hi how are you", it often starts out of people reacting to things that are said or done around them. pick out something to react to, react, hey presto you're rping. make sure you're not just emoting idle things that people can't really react to, because - surprise surprise - they won't react to it. people can't do much in response to someone smirking whilst drinking a beer, for example. pretty much all my random rp starts with random shit i say to people. Cool

(04-30-2015, 11:05 PM)Verad Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 10:59 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Selling something illegal!

It doesn't need to be illegal. . .

But generally, have a goal. Something short term. Decide somebody nearby will help with that goal. Engage.

Whether or not they want to help is immaterial.

Thank you Natalie and Chris. Both very appreciated.

RE: Walk-up Roleplay Advice. - Chris Ganale - 04-30-2015

No actual advice from me, tho, as I'm bad at walk-up and soliciting RP in general. Best I've managed to do was park Chao in a chair or against a pillar in the QS and pull out her tome, occasionally emote her turning a page or reading or sommat.

Got a couple of interactions, but overall, meh...?