Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplay Hubs! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Roleplay Hubs! (/showthread.php?tid=11375)

Pages: 1 2 3

Roleplay Hubs! - Meena - 04-29-2015

You know what-

Gridania and Limsa need more roleplay love. I've bene thinking this for a really really really long time and whenever I go to find roleplay in these areas it just doesnt exist. I think the servers should have a 'weekly Gridania/Limsa' day where people roleplay there if it suits there character.

Why so much Ul'dah guys? Does everyone like the smell of burning rubbish and deceitful npcs? Why not pretty waterfalls and nature? or beaches and fish smells?
Also, Pirates, everyone loves pirates. Why are there so many pirates in Ul'dah? the closest dock to ul'dah is miles away!

Not to mention, Limsa is the most racially diverse. ._.;

All dem roes, 'qote, Elezen, hyurs and lalas. The only thing they have a smallflux of is Highlanders and hellsguard.

*talks to the wall*
I half think posting this wont change anything, but I'd really really like to see people outside of Ul'dah or housing areas for a change. The world is large and beautiful and people spend most of it in their room or in the tavern. At least visit a different tavern.

RE: Roleplay Hubs! - Fox - 04-29-2015

I voted "need a reason", not because my character is focused in Ul'dah (actually HoC is focused in Limsa). But! I like to have a reason why my character is anywhere, regardless of location. But! I can make up reasons.

But I really do suggest and support this idea. I think it would be really helpful and enjoyable for the community. I do remember when there was something like this back near the start of the game. I don't know what happened to it but I did check in a few times. 

I would second this idea. 
(Granted I'm currently in the thick of finals :< so my participation would be small currently.)

RE: Roleplay Hubs! - Meena - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 06:31 PM)Foxberry Wrote: (Granted I'm currently in the thick of finals :< so my participation would be small currently.)
Real life first, I understand. I am of the same opinion as you though. I might make a weekly continuous event on the calender just to bother people about it.

"harvest Day" or "Hot sailors get back from sea day" Those are two very legitimate reasons for vising either place, right?

RE: Roleplay Hubs! - Desu Nee - 04-29-2015

I'll say what I said at least 2 times already. The General Community RP is an illusion. There's no such thing as a real, general community, and RPC itself represents a smaller fraction, of the even smaller fraction of rpers on FFXIV. The Quicksand is a lobby place, where people start and make connections, eventually meeting RPC or a FC there, and branching off to their storylines, which may or may not fit the Lore mold in varying degrees.

I don't see this point of BRING MORE RP OUTSIDE UL'DAH. It happens, but more in FCs, and stuff set in the RPC.

Disclaimer: My arguments are shit.

RE: Roleplay Hubs! - Chris Ganale - 04-29-2015

I voted need a reason because my characters ....just sort of don't do anything most of the time. They need arr-peez.

(04-29-2015, 06:37 PM)Desu Nee Wrote: I'll say what I said at least 2 times already. The General Community RP is an illusion. There's no such thing as a real, general community, and RPC itself represents a smaller fraction, of the even smaller fraction of rpers on FFXIV. The Quicksand is a lobby place, where people start and make connections, eventually meeting RPC or a FC there, and branching off to their storylines, which may or may not fit the Lore mold in varying degrees.

I don't see this point of BRING MORE RP OUTSIDE UL'DAH. It happens, but more in FCs, and stuff set in the RPC.

Disclaimer: My arguments are shit.
I know~ But meeting more people is always fun and if we curve attendance in these areas, people will frequent them more and follow each other more. It'll be great.

It also might make more people roll Gridanian/Limsian oriented alts. because I've never met a Gridanian Elezen.

RE: Roleplay Hubs! - Warren Castille - 04-29-2015

Grindstone.

There are people who want to not fight all the time.

RE: Roleplay Hubs! - Desu Nee - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 06:41 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: There are people who want to not fight all the time.
That's some fighting words.

(04-29-2015, 06:40 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Grindstone.
;-; as much as I enjoy the grindstone it doesnt fit everyone.

It clashes with a lot of IRL stuff for me and I have to pick one or the other.

(04-29-2015, 06:42 PM)Desu Nee Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 06:41 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: There are people who want to not fight all the time.
That's some fighting words.

-Insert u mad bro gif-

RE: Roleplay Hubs! - Fox - 04-29-2015

I don't see the harm in trying Meena. Sure there is a lot of rpers outside of the RPC, people in my first guild weren't even here. I think I had one from the RPC? But trying to get RP out there, regardless if it's RPC based or not is a good idea. I think some RP will trickle in from people who are curious. And I do sometimes see rp in Grid and in Limsa not nearly as much as Ul'dah- which yes admittedly is the main networking area. But trying something new isn't a bad thing.

RE: Roleplay Hubs! - TheLastCandle - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 06:39 PM)Meena Wrote: It also might make more people roll Gridanian/Limsian oriented alts. because I've never met a Gridanian Elezen.

Oh, there are a few..

At any rate, I have an elezen focused mainly around Gridania, and a Lalafell who generally stays on yon island. -nods towards Vylbrand- I'm actually starting to see a lot of RP going on in the Carline Canopy, some of which I've joined in despite my not caring much for tavern RP. It's not going on at all hours of every day, but it's happening often enough for me to take note of it.

I'm generally up for making excuses for either of my characters to be at X place at Y time, so if you ever want to drop me a line, I'm all ears.

RE: Roleplay Hubs! - Kyrio Lamansque - 04-29-2015

I second the idea. 

One, at least as far as Kyrio is concerned, he's an adventurer and enjoys seeing the sights outside of Ul'dah. So the default reason for him being anywhere could very well be 'Because Adventure'. 

And after the Grindstone, Kyr usually goes to Camp Bronze Lake to unwind and relax. Being that's it's a giant spa, I'm really surprised people don't RP there that often.

RE: Roleplay Hubs! - Melkire - 04-29-2015

I was strolling around in-character through Limsa one day, several months back (closer to half a year, really) when I came across a rather large number of what were obviously roleplayers, most of them from the same free company, standing on some out-of-the-way marble platform in a circle. They were clearly roleplaying, and I got a little excited thinking that maybe I'd stumbled upon a scene and I could have my character react to it appropriately.

I'm sorry to say that I stood around for about ten minutes before concluding that they were obviously roleplaying in a public space in private channels, either /party or /ls, because there was no text that popped up in /say, /yell, /shout, or /em from any of them. I decided to move on, disappointed and a little bitter.

The supposed lack of public roleplay outside of housing wards and Ul'dah has little to do with location and more to do with lack of interest. If large quantities of individuals truly wanted to roleplay in certain areas on the overworld, they would do so and not fall into the "well, there's no RP here that I can see or find, I suppose I'll go to the Quicksand today" trap.

Ask folks who have frequently roleplayed or currently do roleplay in Limsa, La Noscea, Gridania, or the Shroud about their experiences. You'll be surprised. They're either already there roleplaying (be it in public or private, regardless of how frequent) or they've decided they'd rather not bother.

EDIT 1:

I didn't vote because I couldn't find a "I'm not having a problem" option. I bounce to the aforementioned locations when my character finds reasons or call for it, and the roleplay happens from there.

EDIT 2:

tl;dr: the folks who want to roleplay elsewhere are already roleplaying elsewhere, if someone's having trouble finding them, that's on them as an individual.