Hydaelyn Role-Players
Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay (/showthread.php?tid=11358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Cliodhna Eoghan - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 04:19 AM)Dogberry Wrote: I should also add that Iskierka has offered rune readings, casting bones, and one occasion reading entrails, but nobody has taken her up up on the offer.

Tarot is just popular, I guess.

runes? *perks up* i'm up for that and i know eric would want to as well.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Avalt Laguz - 04-29-2015

While I'd love to go down the card reader, fortune telling route. I'm probably going to stick to star readings by use of the Star Globe. :3

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Fox - 04-29-2015

I used to do tarot readings myself, though my cards are packed away since I moved. I'd have to agree with a lot of the sentiments here and suggestions, ideas, etc as they are very good. I personally enjoyed using the cards when I used them. I think, if you're willing to try it, go for it!

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Steel Wolf - 04-29-2015

I used to read both Tarot and runes myself, so incorporating that into the game is most definitely welcome.

I do wonder exactly how much parallel there is to the Eorzean divination deck and a traditional Tarot. I suppose that since there's a level of astrology that the decks are reasonably similar.

Anyway, not rolling an Astrologian, but just wanted to offer my personal support and <3 to the idea.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Dogberry - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 04:26 AM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 04:19 AM)Dogberry Wrote: I should also add that Iskierka has offered rune readings, casting bones, and one occasion reading entrails, but nobody has taken her up up on the offer.

I'm actually WAY more adept at reading runes than tarot cards. I spent some time with some Asatru peeps who taught me. I need a guide for tarot, but I do not need one with runes.

And still, nobody interested in haruspex. Pity.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - allgivenover - 04-29-2015

Haruspicy is just too weird for the modern mind to fixate on?

Sheep liver divination!? What savagery!

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Dogberry - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:33 AM)allgivenover Wrote: Haruspicy is just too weird for the modern mind to fixate on?

Sheep liver divination!? What savagery!

Look, I won't deny it's gruesome to behold, but think of it as getting your fortune told during a trip to the butcher. Hells, I may even pull out the grinder and make some sausage if you're lucky.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Martiallais - 04-29-2015

Rune reading sounds cool as hell, actually. OOC I'd be interested in this for sure, even if Zarek is likely to IC seem skeptical.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Cliodhna Eoghan - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:23 AM)Dogberry Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 04:26 AM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote:

I'm actually WAY more adept at reading runes than tarot cards. I spent some time with some Asatru peeps who taught me. I need a guide for tarot, but I do not need one with runes.

And still, nobody interested in haruspex. Pity.

yeah just asked him. erik's interested x3

i have a bit of a weak stomach for stuff like that tbh. took a few years before i could even handle raw meat to cook....so yeah, i won't be asking for that xD

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - J'lyneth - 04-29-2015

A compromise for someone who wants more cards/meanings to work with but still wants to use the cards provided in game would be to treat the 6 cards provided: Balance, Ewer (a pitcher for water), Bole (tree trunk), Spear, Arrow, and Spire as suits. Could even work with a traditional tarot deck. Ewer =cups, Bole = coins, Spear = Rods/Staves, Arrow = Swords and then split the major arcana between Balance for positive cards and Spire for negative. (Mostly because the Spire card is aesthetically similar to many Tower card designs I've seen and that one usually means ruin and doom. Then treat the ones used in battle as the Aces, the purest representation of the suit.Just a thought, and probably the route I'll take if I opt to play this kind of character.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Telluride - 04-30-2015

For what it's worth, I am a fair hand with in-game tarot reading myself; I made lore-appropriate conversion charts for using it in Rift and Age of Conan.

It seems we have enough people to have a fortune telling fair, and take the burden off a few of the readers who are getting mobbed for it.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Saefinn - 05-02-2015

As the theme behind Captain Saefinn Liljasson is that he is "The Scholar Captain", he is very much in tune with the arcane, he is very skilled and increasingly powerful when it comes to magic and his is often a studied mind, despite being a raging alcoholic and times quite reckless, but he isn't stupid, he's just careless.

Given I have ICly been negotiating an IC contract between our crew and Ishgardians, we have had some Coerthas contracts, ICly we've recognised that the Ishgardians often face a perilous existence at the hands of dragons and their friends. So our journey North and to the skies is going to prove very beneficial to us. Obviously the prospects of being sky pirates and the fact Scholar is getting a very Steampunk looking attire, this expansion is going to be almost perfect for us. Big Grin

But I figure in his studies, Astrologian will be the next logical step for Saefinn, as a pirate, he will already be familiar with the stars for navigation and of course, what kind of pirate doesn't like to play with cards? Given Astrologian seems to take inspiration from Corsair. I don't know how I will play the card aspect of it, I will see how the lore plays out here, would be interesting to be a gambler of fate as opposed to just a foreseer. Given there will be a level of power associated with the cards as they are the Astrologian's tools, I would hypothesize that this would work. Also, Saefinn would be liable to cheat and play cards to his favour. Wink

Given Saefinn can be unpredictable at times (though predictable in some aspects) this would be quite useful.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Altaeirh Azarael - 05-04-2015

(04-28-2015, 03:04 PM)Lutra Wrote: I am very excited for this aspect of RP! I've never actually given readings to others before, but it is a long term interest of mine. I have a few books on the subject I'll be picking up closer to release to refresh myself.

My only personal caution is to wait until we actually see the cards Astrologians receive? Unless I've missed the lore somewhere, I don't think there is any mention of full tarot decks in the game. (Please feel free to correct! I'd love to read more about the in game lore given on fortunetelling/astros.) I'd imagine that the cards we'll be using will be far more limited than IRL.

I know of some others that are just using full decks at the moment, and that's fine too! I guess I just want to see what is available lore-wise, firstly. :3
The Astrologian cards have already been named. :]

They are, in no particular order, Balance, Ewer, Bole, Spire, Spear, Arrow.

There's a picture somewhere, but... Eh. Too lazy to dig for it.

In any case, I wish I could do something like tarot readings, but I can't afford the deck, nor do I have the know-how to do such things. Even so, it'll be a little more difficult to do, I believe, since Astrologian will use the tarot cards -and- star patterns to properly predict fate. Not saying it's out of the realm of doing/possibility, but it's something to consider.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Verilys - 05-04-2015

(05-04-2015, 12:02 AM)Altaeirh Azarael Wrote: In any case, I wish I could do something like tarot readings, but I can't afford the deck, nor do I have the know-how to do such things. Even so, it'll be a little more difficult to do, I believe, since Astrologian will use the tarot cards -and- star patterns to properly predict fate. Not saying it's out of the realm of doing/possibility, but it's something to consider.

As a note, playing cards are also a great alternative for anyone who might like to get into that aspect of RP, but don't want to drop money on a prop that they might never use again. Smile

They're quite different in that they don't have the major arcana and such, but still work really, really well.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Sailor July - 05-04-2015

In real life I use tarot cards, runes and animal message cards on a nearly daily basis, so I'm very familiar with them. I may end up using them, or getting a simple 'for fun' deck of tarot that I use in MMOs, we'll see! 

I also have an interest in tea leaf reading, scrying with mirrors, water, and blood, so that can be used in fortune telling along with the rest.