Hydaelyn Role-Players
Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay (/showthread.php?tid=11358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Val - 04-28-2015

I'd say if you need information, get in touch with Clouse Sydonis, aka Remnance on the RPC. I've had two characters do readings with him and, despite knowing absolutely nothing about my characters, managed to peg their future/events going on in their life pretty well. He also did my partner's character and was surprisingly accurate with her as well.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - K'nahli - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 01:15 PM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 01:04 PM)Dogberry Wrote: MOST DEFINITELY

People are often surprised that I play Iskierka.
well before i further derail this (in a mod thread to boot... Blush ) amazing job, you've had me thinking it was two people up till this point! Laugh

I am banning you so hard after I finish posting this!!11!1

(04-28-2015, 03:41 PM)Val Wrote: I'd say if you need information, get in touch with Clouse Sydonis, aka Remnance on the RPC. I've had two characters do readings with him and, despite knowing absolutely nothing about my characters, managed to peg their future/events going on in their life pretty well. He also did my partner's character and was surprisingly accurate with her as well.

Ohh, thank you very much!

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Moonlit - 04-28-2015

I have a character who has been doing this since I've made her. Her soothsaying has been more private between the community I surround myself with. However, if people are looking to learn / want something done I'd be happy to offer her services, too. 

This is a character type I've played across many games including WoW and GW2, and tarot is something I've been doing in my real life for about. . .  eleven (damn) years now. So yup! Cards aren't the only thing available. There's scrying, tea reading, etc~. 

-crawls back into her hole-

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - E'irawen - 04-28-2015

I really am interested in learning how to go about doing readings in RP. I don't know how Eorzea treats the arcana, but I've been having fun incorporating IRL hobbies like this into my roleplay.

That being said, as well, I've been trying to recruit for a group of characters that does things like this. Divining (tarot, tea reading, etc.), herbal healing, crystal healing, and more. A lot of things of this nature. (also, performances, if you are so inclined to!) I am nervous to say because I don't know anyone's reactions to the subject, but to help clarify the inspiration, a lot of (my character's, at least) doings are inspired by wicca and witchcraft culture.

It's still in the bare bones of development and brainstorming, but I wanted to post it here with so many other like-minded individuals.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=11337

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Nako Vesh - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 03:15 PM)Wymsical Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 03:04 PM)Lutra Wrote: My only personal caution is to wait until we actually see the cards Astrologians receive? Unless I've missed the lore somewhere, I don't think there is any mention of full tarot decks in the game. (Please feel free to correct! I'd love to read more about the in game lore given on fortunetelling/astros.) I'd imagine that the cards we'll be using will be far more limited than IRL.

You're correct that the in-game Astrologian deck is much smaller than a Tarot one (6 or 8 cards, that I recall). That is likely for a gameplay reason since many more would jus hamper smooth skill use. I have been making the assumption that the cards Astrologians use are very particularly chosen and aesthetically tuned ones for the purposes of battle and healing, and that other card decks for more 'mundane' purposes could very well exist. Not explicitly stated in lore, but I wouldn't say it's a far stretch. Cards and fortune telling have spanned time and cultures! Using such a small deck would be very limiting for fortune telling.

The cards are apparently as follows:

Show Content

Balance, Ewer (a pitcher for water), Bole (tree trunk), Spear, Arrow, and Spire. The cards look like they're absolutely beautiful and I plan on making a physical deck of my own out of them to do IC readings on my Au Ra. I personally don't see why these can't also be used for readings. It seems a shame to ignore them in RP. Plus, the low number of cards keeps the system simple for easily explaining them in RP.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - E'irawen - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 04:52 PM)Nako Vesh Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 03:15 PM)Wymsical Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 03:04 PM)Lutra Wrote: My only personal caution is to wait until we actually see the cards Astrologians receive? Unless I've missed the lore somewhere, I don't think there is any mention of full tarot decks in the game. (Please feel free to correct! I'd love to read more about the in game lore given on fortunetelling/astros.) I'd imagine that the cards we'll be using will be far more limited than IRL.

You're correct that the in-game Astrologian deck is much smaller than a Tarot one (6 or 8 cards, that I recall). That is likely for a gameplay reason since many more would jus hamper smooth skill use. I have been making the assumption that the cards Astrologians use are very particularly chosen and aesthetically tuned ones for the purposes of battle and healing, and that other card decks for more 'mundane' purposes could very well exist. Not explicitly stated in lore, but I wouldn't say it's a far stretch. Cards and fortune telling have spanned time and cultures! Using such a small deck would be very limiting for fortune telling.

The cards are apparently as follows:

Show Content

Balance, Ewer (a pitcher for water), Bole (tree trunk), Spear, Arrow, and Spire. The cards look like they're absolutely beautiful and I plan on making a physical deck of my own out of them to do IC readings on my Au Ra. I personally don't see why these can't also be used for readings. It seems a shame to ignore them in RP. Plus, the low number of cards keeps the system simple for easily explaining them in RP.

I totally forgot they even showed the cards at Fan Fest. Thank you for posting them!  I really would love to use them in RP. I hope we can get more lore soon.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Wymsical - 04-28-2015

Whether you keep it simple or complex is really a matter of your (and the character's) personal style. I'm using Tarot in the context of reading for personal introspection, reflection and examination instead of simpler, easy answers. In my format, the reader helps explain the possible interpretations of whichever of the 78 cards have been drawn. That's a very particular technique. A simpler one would really benefit from using just the in-game ones. Not that I'm going to ignore them; I intend to incorporate their use into the IC portion of the reading.

(04-28-2015, 05:06 PM)Wymsical Wrote: Whether you keep it simple or complex is really a matter of your (and the character's) personal style. I'm using Tarot in the context of reading for personal introspection, reflection and examination instead of simpler, easy answers. In my format, the reader helps explain the possible interpretations of whichever of the 78 cards have been drawn. That's a very particular technique. A simpler one would really benefit from using just the in-game ones. Not that I'm going to ignore them; I intend to incorporate their use into the IC portion of the reading.

I suppose it could be interpreted as personal style, but I'm sort of wary about copying a real life card system into Eorzea, especially when they're providing an Eorzean system for us. Of course, this is granted they provide us deeper meanings for each card (though different styles of fortune telling may have different interpretations of the cards, which is coooool). But then again, I'm an advocate for 'RP how you wish,' so you do you!

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Wymsical - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 06:21 PM)Nako Vesh Wrote: I suppose it could be interpreted as personal style, but I'm sort of wary about copying a real life card system into Eorzea, especially when they're providing an Eorzean system for us. Of course, this is granted they provide us deeper meanings for each card (though different styles of fortune telling may have different interpretations of the cards, which is coooool). But then again, I'm an advocate for 'RP how you wish,' so you do you!

I'm honestly a little dubious that a robust reading system consisting of six cards will be provided, especially since the astrologian's exact skills fall more under 'attuning oneself to the stars to change fate (via healing/buffs/damage)'. Of course, we won't know until we do the job quests! That being said, I like the vast array in Tarot but I don't intend to actually call it that ICly. The card names fit easily into the setting as well! I understand the concern and I'll be working to meld them convincingly into the world. Given the significant European influences in Eorzea, I think it'd fit in excellently, along with any other fortune telling styles people care to use.

That said, I'm very curious to see if the job quests address the cards' in any detail.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Lutra - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 06:34 PM)Wymsical Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 06:21 PM)Nako Vesh Wrote: I suppose it could be interpreted as personal style, but I'm sort of wary about copying a real life card system into Eorzea, especially when they're providing an Eorzean system for us. Of course, this is granted they provide us deeper meanings for each card (though different styles of fortune telling may have different interpretations of the cards, which is coooool). But then again, I'm an advocate for 'RP how you wish,' so you do you!

I'm honestly a little dubious that a robust reading system consisting of six cards will be provided, especially since the astrologian's exact skills fall more under 'attuning oneself to the stars to change fate (via healing/buffs/damage)'. Of course, we won't know until we do the job quests! That being said, I like the vast array in Tarot but I don't intend to actually call it that ICly. The card names fit easily into the setting as well! I understand the concern and I'll be working to meld them convincingly into the world. Given the significant European influences in Eorzea, I think it'd fit in excellently, along with any other fortune telling styles people care to use.

That said, I'm very curious to see if the job quests address the cards' in any detail.

I agree with both of these sentiments! Basically, I'm just holding out for more information. If constellations/star attunement plays more of a role than the cards themselves, perhaps another form of divination is more appropriate for my character. But maybe not! It'll be fun to see how everyone takes the information given. Collaboration on meanings of [insert card/method here] with other players could be really enjoyable.

(04-28-2015, 06:34 PM)Wymsical Wrote:

That's true, six cards does narrow things significantly, perhaps in a hindering way. I can't wait for the job quests either. I sort of hope each one focuses on one card so we can have a large amount of information on each one!

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Remnance - 04-28-2015

I didn't know there was at least one other using a real Tarot deck.

Got your pm and wanted to lend a hand.  I worked with Felix to create a list of ffxiv theme for the major arcana and the court cards.  Also a new naming convention for the suits themselves.

I know he isn't able to do much with it now and originally we just kept are list offline to keep it from being abused.  Might be reconsidering that though in true I have had talks with another about Clouse Icly teaching people the ways of the lore we created.

I used the Mystic Dreamers Tarot Deck right now and usually won't go past a 3 card drawing for past, present, and future.  This is because typing a reading takes a while.  Average 10-15 minutes for each card for good showing.  

This is page has one of my first readings since I started it back up in game.  http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=10939&pid=166024#pid166024

Each card, to me, hints at a story or message to be told.  I tend to explain each card and describe it a little.  Then finding the thread that binds them all together.  I tend to try to add in some aetheric elements to mix.

If you or your friend wants.  I can give a reading and you can see how I do it in person.  Today I'm locked out of my account due to forgetting an old e-mails address password and suspicious bs activity for the 30th time in the last two months.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Cliodhna Eoghan - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 03:51 PM)Knahli Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 01:15 PM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote: well before i further derail this (in a mod thread to boot... Blush ) amazing job, you've had me thinking it was two people up till this point! Laugh

I am banning you so hard after I finish posting this!!11!1
nuuuu!!!! D: let me back in, i'll be good!!!
[Image: oYMPOhe.jpg]

also would love to get another reading by remnance as well as anyone else that's up for it. >u< they're so fun

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Imo - 04-29-2015

Screw tarot, my Astrologian will be based on Triple Triad. It's time to d-d-d-duel!

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Dogberry - 04-29-2015

I should also add that Iskierka has offered rune readings, casting bones, and one occasion reading entrails, but nobody has taken her up up on the offer.

Tarot is just popular, I guess.